• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just can't put the boat away yet!

Mykal

With the warmer weather coming in, I have to get out at least one more time. There's still a 30 inch 'eye out there that I would like to meet. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

That's exactly what I was thinking also. If I keep going out I don't have to winterize the boat, right? We're planning on hitting it Thursday night, where do you think the fish are going to be now? Rocks or shorlines?

I agree MyKal... this weather makes me wanna run up there BAD. Too bad I put the boat away last week. Figures. I was hoping to go with DeeZee tonight, but he's taking some clients out. If you do make it out there... let us know how ya did!

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

Will do. Alphid and I are heading up tonight. Man is is nice outside! One of us will post a report tomorrow. If it's good, then I'm back up this weekend with Mr Pike 1.
Beckman, there still in the remaining weeds and on the rocky points. Won't know which is better until we get there.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 11-11-2003).]

Best of luck to you guys. Please let us know how it goes tonight. I need one more round up there myself.

Hey Mike, kinda thought I would see you out last night? Went out on your side of the lake again and the bite was very poor(yes again). I even tried your bay for a while, but only managed a couple of fish from it. Thats right me fishing weeds, you know I'm pretty frustrated with the bite when I abandon the rocks and start fishing weeds. Did you guys end up going north to Garrison access? Lots of boats out early on last night. Moon just could not make it out of the haze all night and the lack of wind really hurt too. Probably should just hang it up for the fall, but I am just too dang hard headed.

Alphid, Catch'n Whopper, and I started out of Shabosh Kung and headed for Indian Point. It was flat calm last night. Most of the night there wasn't even a ripple on the lake where we were. No wind = no fish on Indian so we headed into the bay and Catch'n caught 1 18 incher. Another couple passes with no luck so we headed North to the sand and weeds. Nothing bit until about 11pm. We ended up with 12 and 3 misses from 11 to 1am. I had trouble keeping them hooked this night, but Alphid and Catch'n made up for it. Most of the fish were laying on top of the weeds. We found that moving very slow with the trolling motor would keep the baits way up where the fish wanted them. All the fish were in the 20 to 24 inch range, very fat, but not the hogs we were looking for. We talked to another guy at the launch and he had the goose egg, so it sounds like we did okay.
Bigeyes, I was wondering if you would be out there. I left my boat at home. Yeah, the point needs some wind to be any good in my opinion. It was too calm everywhere on the Westside. The active fish are still clinging tight to weeds. Late in the night we found some pods of baitfish and that's where the 'eyes were.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 11-12-2003).]

Sorry to hear the bite wasn't that good. At least you got a few. If you want wind, you should go up tonight! 40+ MPH gusts. Should get a nice "chop" out there...lol

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

Yeah I Thought one of 3 other boats on the point could be you. Seems you 3 kinda left the point at the same time. You didn't miss much out there as we only got a couple fish on the point in lots of passes.

thinking about maybe getting out if the weather stays like it should on Sat. Had some good luck on Tuesday sop I know the fish are still willing to bit some.

Anyone else?

I'm headed up sat. night. Fished last saturday and broke through the ice at the ramp north of Ind. Pt. and fought skim ice early in the bay, then went to ind. pt. and fought wind and cold. Managed one norther....by far the worst outting of the fall and a little depressing. Hoping for better luck this weekend. We fished HJ's and #5 shad's in various colors and couldn't make contact with the walleyes. Speeds were from 0-1.2 max. Sounds like you guys may have had better luck.

DHenry, it was tough that weekend from what I heard. We only pulled 7, Thursday night prior to that weekend. Temps were in the teens, but I believe you were out in the single digits. Good Luck this weekend it should be much warmer.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 11-14-2003).]

Fished sat. evening from 5:30 until about midnight just off the weedline north of Indian Point. Didn't make it to the point because we were afraid of the fog and someone ramming us. We caught three walleyes with the biggest being about 24" and a northern. Had a couple other strikes and a couple of bite off's, but it was pretty slow. Still a great night to be out as it was calm and fairly mild. Saw a couple of other boats. Did anyone do any better.

DHenry, nice. We opted to stay in this weekend and stay out of the drizzle. Looks like we will be up one night this week and probably the upcoming weekend. If this weather continues, so will we. A few fish is better than sitting at home anytime! I like to keep the down time between open water and hard water to a minimum. The bay area has not been good since the October full moon this year, I haven't put a good run in there at all this year. Were you still marking lots of weeds in there? Indian has not been good unless the wind is blowing. We are doing much better up on the North end weeds right now. Haven't been on the East side at all, so I don't know how the rock bite has been. Don't put that boat away quite yet. This week looks very nice!

When you say north, are you talking about St. Albian's and Garrison weedlines? We're planning on heading up again on Thurs and hoping this warm stable weather get the fish going.

I am planning on going up there too tomorrow.
Today high of 50s tomorrow possibley breaking the record High! hat a night ot be out there, even if you don't get a ton of fish just to enjoy the weather.

Mykal and Alphid, when you guys say north end weeds are you talking St. Albian's, Garrison, Wealthwood? I'm headed up tonight and would like to increase my chances. My plan was to start at St. Albian's given our luck north of Indian Pt. and your comments to my previous post. Any advice would be helpful. I'm juiced for heading up tonight.

Well guys, Bigeyes and myself got out last night. Fished until around Midnight. Light South wind blowing, which got stronger as the night progressed, 39 degrees and the water was a balmy 37. We fished Pike Point, St. Albans, weeds and the sand breaks off Garrison, and Garrison reef. We trolled from 1.5 mph down to a crawl at .5, Searched the 6 to 12 foot depths. First time all year we did not even get a bite! There were 3 other boats out there that left early and we did not see one light go on. We couldn't find any baitfish or Walleye's anywhere. We were shocked! It was a beautiful evening indeed and never saw this coming.
Sorry I don't have better news. I'm sure the fish are biting somewhere, but it was not up NW side last night. I plan on getting out at least one more time. I would hate to end the open water season that way.

Good luck to you.

Hi Mykal, I was one of the 3 other boats that left early. I did manage to catch a 19.5 and a 22 before I pulled out at 10.00pm. The bite was definately tough. The two guys that were pulling out ahead of me had the "goose egg" also.
Except for your success last week on Tuesday, I haven't heard of any one catching any fish since the water temp dropped below 37. I think this is the temp the tulibees spawn at. My guess is that there is a large tulibee population the walleyes are feeding on.
Also, I want to thank you, Alphid, and Catch'n Whopper for offering to help me load my boat Tuesday night/Wednesday morning--I was the one with the "goose egg" last week!

No problem, it always makes it easier especially on that ramp. smile.gif That ramp definalty needs to get some lights working around there. It's horrible backing up.
Well Catchin' and I are expecting to get out for that last time of the season. SHould be a good time and we hope to do a little better than what we have been hearing. Anyone else getting out?

I would make an effort to get out there tonight guys... big front will be going through soon. Winds may be a problem... but this may be the last time you get to fish open water up there. If ya make it out, good luck!

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

I should have posted this earlier in the week. I fished last Fri nite 11/14. It was very overcast, light winds, water temp about 36 degrees. With only one line, it took a long time to find a pattern. I had it in my head to use dark lures for dark nights, and generally followed that approach as I tried numerous lure styles, colors and locations. Finally returned to Pike point about 12:30 am and tried a blue/silver plated HJ #12. Caught a very fat 26" followed a little later by her sister at 25"+. About 8', sand/gravel, 1 mph. Moved to the N shore just east of Garrison to try one more spot before leaving and quickly caught a 23", same lure, depth, speed, etc. Probably could have caught more if I had tried bright lures sooner or stayed longer. I did NOT try clown. Two boats were catching some fish on Indian Pt but I did not find the right lure then. Good luck this weekend. I'm winterizing the boat tonight.

Sm River Rat, thanks for the update. I'm glad you found something out there. Man, we really struggled last night. Big thanks to Catch'n for guiding you in. Like Alphid said that launch is no fun, especially if your out solo. If the Big 'eyes are still out chasing tulibee than I would head for the rocks guys. I am going to try to get out one more time as well.
I hear you FishNChester.
Thanks for the report Bob O.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 11-20-2003).]

Hey guys, probably saw some of you last night. Fished last night from 5:30- 12:00. Fished St. Albians from 6.5'-11'. We caught seven walleyes with the biggest at 26" and two northerns, one which was about 10lbs. Was a pretty good bite for this time of year. Slow speeds were the key and it seemed that their color preference changed periodically throughout the night. Also, what a northern lights display.

We ended up getting on the water around 8:30 last night and the wind was blowing but not too bad right away. Started around Pike's point. I ended up getting a 19 about a half and hour into the night, fishing 9 feet of water and just going ever so slow, going into the wind with the trolling motor, ~.5-.8. Caught on Fire tiger. The wind picked up about 9:00. It was a howling' for a bit and I was a little concerned with how good my boat control was going to be with the wind, I was unable to use the trolling motor. So we just kept shooting into the wind and ended up getting our speeds down to .5-.8 mph.Got a couple more fish, both around 19-20 inches, in 9 feet of water, and both on fire tiger. Well, about 10:30 the wind completely died down and I was able to use the trolling motor again and picked up another 26 incher, on fire tiger and in 9 feet of water. The fish here seemed to more spread out and not on the weed line but more on the sporadic weeds. We were marking a lot of baitfish also around the areas we caught these fish. Well, after about another half an hour or so we ended up moving into St. Alban's bay and pretty quickly boated a 25 incher on Black/Gold and in 9 feet of water. Once I was able to pin point these little weed piles we found the fish. We would basically go right over the weed piles and just let our baits sit there and float and the fish would just come and smack it. We ended up getting another couple of fish before calling it a night because of the time. I think that if we would have stayed there longer we would have gotten a lot more fish but work brings us back to reality. But all in all it was a good night.
The keys for us was finding the weed clumps, in St. Albans bay this was very prevalent as a lot of the bottom content was sand and when you started marking some of these weed clumps to just let you bait stay there as long as possible, sometimes not moving for a while. The depth was 9 feet and colors varied from Pike's point to St. Albans, Fire tiger to Black/Gold. Water Temps 36.7 to a balmy 37.1. The fish still have some good fight in them, which was surprising considering the temps. I would love to get back up there but I believe I am done for the season, unless the weather changes drastically. We "Short-lined" our baits to keep them above the weeds but still in the zone and this helped considerably in the catching and the non-weed catching column. That was us that you saw Dhenry.

On a side note, the northern lights display was simply awesome as I have not seen anything like that in a while. It was happening on the West, North, and East side of us. It kept us pretty amazed for the last hour and a half that we fished.

[This message has been edited by Alphid (edited 11-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Alphid (edited 11-21-2003).]

Yeap, That was us that you saw. The wind was blowing pretty good for a while and then it just quite. Pretty amazing how quickly that happened too. It was a great night to get out once that wind died down.

Nice Job on a difficult bite Dan. I am probably done for the year too. Had a lot of fun this fall and overall had a very successful bite.

Alphid, were you launching as I was leaving? I was in that funny looking Walleye boat called a "Bass Tracker!"
You and Dhenry did much better than I did last night. I fished from 4:30 until 8:30 on the sand break and in front of the ramp. I didn't even have a hit so I pulled the plug at 8:30.
Congratulations to you and Dhenry, it was not an easy bite, for you to catch 7 or so and Dhenry to catch 7 was an accomplishment last night especially with the wind gusting the way it did at times.