• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weedy Walleye

I fish muskies in open water and a couple of years ago caught a 27 inch walleye on a six inch jake in about 12 feet of water off a steep break. That same year I saw another fisherman catch a 28 inch walleye on a giant bull dawg plastic.

Ever since then I always give the weeds a try ice fishing for walleye. I have only caught 3 or 4 this way, but always 23 inches or bigger.

Anyone else go for weedy walleye?

Dsludge

Sludge, I've had similar experiences. In fact, several times when trolling for pike/muskies. Just a few bold 'eyes hangin around here and there I guess.

I used to consistently fish a lake in central MN that was basically a weed filled, northern lake. Ended up finding an inside break that was clean of weeds and in the evenings you could catch walleyes pretty consistently. When I was unable to fish the evenings due to work and the distance to drive, I'd pull jigs through the outer weeds and I had some great days catching walleyes.