• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
little perch 1

depth finder and ice fishing rods

little perch 1

Can I get thoughts and advice from others? Yesterday I went to look at depth finders.I saw the vexilar I bought the FL 8 ultra pack.This is the one I like the most on the diplay

it had a couple things I liked on it.Was this a good or bad buy and why?The other question I got to ask.I got some christmas money.I would like to go buy some new icefishing rods and reels.Does any body know of any good name brands of icefishing rods and reels? And why would you chose these over the others out there?Trying to find out what is good bad or just o.k. before I go and buy these things.All thoughts and advice from others would be greatly helpful

cybermuskie

Hey Perch,

I will throw my 2 cents in for ya! I run a FL-8 myself and you can't go wrong with it! I had a clearwater classic way back when, and there is no comparision. I really enjoy the color screen ( I know others have it too) Say a fish comes in tight to the bottom, I can tell with the color change, and I am sure you will get to the point when you can tell also. Plus with the 8, it is a tested and proven unit. I have heard of people having problems with Marcom units. You won't be unhappy with that, trust me. Now as far as ice rods, I personally like ST.Croix, and Berkley Lighting rods. They run about 30 bucks on the highest end, but I like the feel and sensitivity of those 2. Now I am sure all the other brands are fine too, but those are just what I like. And I peronally would not buy a buzz stick. I can jig for myself! haha. I have found reels don't matter as much for me. I like more ball bearings, if you can get them. Just makes it a bit smoother. I like the drag on the top of the reel, easier to get at. I guess the rule I use on all my equipment is, you get what you pay for! Well now thatit's clear as mud, good luck and Have fun shopping!

upnorth

I have the vex fl-8 too and I like it, tells me what is happening down there(once I learned how to read it). Can't help too much with the rods cuz I wrap my own. For ice fishing I use the quantum XR00F reel, a fairly good reel for decent price.

msm1018

do not get a rod in which its eyes are so tiny that they freexe up every time you reel in. You can get pretty light headed from blowing on it all the time.

MT Net

Hi LP!! How are you doing?

I also have the FL8, it's a nice unit, not too expensive that hurts the wallet, yet will tell you what's going on down there.

One thing I noticed is when panfishing in a max. depth of 10 feet, the display lights up with big bands of color. I was told that the S cable is the fix for this when fishing shallow.

Look around for a St. Croix rod/reel combo for around $30. I like the "feel" it has as with the Berkley Lightning Rods.

Just my 2 cents.

strat-o-caster

If you get either marcum or a Vex their both outstading . I use a Marcum LX3 the thing I like the best is the Interferce botton (NR), exspecially(sp) when your set-up near someone else... Strat

Captain Ken

I have been using an FL8 and have been very happy with it. I am in teh process of getting a Marcum LX-3. The Vex is plenty sensitive and mine has an IR button on it. The Marcum is more sensitive, but since I have not fished with it yet, I can't tell you how the two compare. If you bought teh FL8 you will not be disappointed and you will now start catching a TON more fish because you can actually see what is happening when you learn to read the colors. To convince yourself how important the locator is on the ice, fish a foot under the fish for a half hour or so and see what happens. Then fish a foot above the fish for a half hour and see what happens! The 2 feet you now can actually see will make all the difference in the world! As the writer above said, if you are in shallow water you will need the "S" cable because the vex will be too powerful. I do not have it because I am usually deep.

As far as rods go, I buy middle of the road ones or make my own from other broken rods. This way I can resurrect my favorite rods and give them a little more chance to live. The write above is also correct on the size of the eyes. This is especially important if you fish outside. Depending on what you fish for you need to match the rod action to the fish. For crappies I use a softer rod and sometimes you actually watch the line or rod tip for the bite (and your flasher too when the fish comes storming up to your bait). For lakers I use a stiffer rod cause the baits are heavier and there is usually no question when you have a bite grin.gif

I don't really have a favorite rod number or whatever. Just use what feels good and seems to work. Mostly use small spinning reels of various makes. I use my abu garcia bass baitcasters for the lakers. Fireline on those- ices up real good in the open so I usually stay in the fish house with those. Dave Genz also gave me a couple of his rod holder tip up like deals. I use those for lakers that way I actually have a rod and reel to fight the fish rather than my hands. Works pretty good once you get all the balance and bracket mounting perfect and such.

Have fun!

Capt

Northlander

LP1 e-mail me and I can hook ya up for a small finders fee of course. grin.gif

You did fine on the FL-8 and as far as rods I would go to www.JRstackle.com and get a couple of their rod/reel combos. Reel nice and great price! Also check out the tackle section and get some Flasher Spoons in both sizes and several colors, glow bugs, slammers and crushers and some other various jigs. Let me know if ya have problems and Ill help ya get it done. walleyes4me32@aol.com

loadmaster

Was up at GM not saying everything is cheap, Everything was on a moving sale 1-50% off. Graphs were included along with rods/reels/houses you name it. Might be worth to check it out

Northlander

Load you need to get my big eye from league on there . That will liven it up a bit. I can send ya some other ice fishing pics if ya want?