• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do many of you TRF guys fish LOW out of Warroad or do you go to Baudette? If so how has the fishing been? Are there plowed roads out of Warroad? I remember going out with my Grandparents from TRF as a kid but I have no idea where we fished.

Thanks for any replies.

Piketipper,most of the people on the Thief River site fish LOW. (Even Whiskers finds himself up there!) Most fish out of the Warroad area Springsteel, Rocky Pt, the reefs 5,12,16 mile and Buffalo Bay in Manitoba.during the summer months. This winter has been a tough one to get to the more common icefishing spots. Lots of snow and a real bad freeze up.(Rough ice big time!!) Alot of the people without snowmobiles will be heading to Zipple Bay and other resorts that are known for thier good plowed lake roads. Just curious who where your g.parents? Almost forgot.. Early freezeup gets alot of these fisherpersons to the Morris Pt/Pine Is. local. Fantastic fishing early ice (most of the time!)

PikeTipper-

I'm not a TRF guy but a former Crookston guy, Go Pirates!!

Anyway, we do alot of our fishing out of Rocky Pt./Long Pt./ Bablers Rd (12,16mile reefs) and Warroad/Springsteel/Elm Pt later winter for Pike.

I've started to venture to the east side of the lake- Adrian's Rd at Wheelers Pt.

If you are coming from TRF through Roseau & Warroad, there are a few back roads from Warroad to Wheelers Pt that will cut miles off the drive rather than going to Baudette. I don't know the road #s but there is a straight shot with a 2 mile n/s jog and you go straight by Zippel Bay and keep going and come out right at Schusters Resort.

Old Guide,

Is that your email address off of your web site link? If so I'll shoot you an email.

Hanson,

Where do you go out of to get to 16 mile or some of those reefs? Can you drive a vehicle or is it more of a snowmobile only venture?

Thanks for the tips

Old Guide did you get my email?

PikeTipper-

I've always used Babler's Road which is immediately before you get to Arneson's Resort on the right side. I want to say it is about a 7 mile drive out to 16 mile from Rocky Pt.

Rumor has it this year there isn't a road plowed there due to the roughness of the ice. Apparently it broke up and refroze pretty bad.

So unless I hear something different, it is looking like snowmobile only to get out there.

The fishing is usually awesome. With less pressure due to the accessibility this year, it could be some of the best fishing on the lake if you can get out there.

Piketipper, sorry about not getting back sooner. I'm sorry to say I didn't recog. any of those names. My wife's stepdad came from the Goodridge area, I'm sure he knows them. If you get up this way this summer give me a call. Maybe we can fish some of those spots on LOW. Pat

Sounds like there won't be plowed roads this year to the reefs and we won't have sleds. Where would you guys suggest we try it the 1st weekend of February?

you'll have to go east, they have good enough ice to plow roads. consider zipple or morris. where to go? thats why it is called fishing!

K2

Hey I hear that some locals out of warroad are running a road from the pub. acsess in warroard to 5 mile with with a donation and sounds like 5mile is hot. just a word i heard, any comfermation on that ? Boar.

boar, you're right but with this snow it might be awhile before it's open again. I'll be waiting also.