• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
gman2002

what would the pro's do

gman2002

here's what i'm wondering. after reading all the posts my lips are watering just to see some of those slabs!! i've never been to url, so what would your plan be if you were to drive up early 1 morning, now remember it's a 5 hr drive, fish that day , find somewhere to sleep then fish for awhile the next day before heading back home. where would u go out of ? stay in a small sleeper or a motel room ?? i have a portable, auger, depthfinder all the gear . any ideas how u guys would do this ?

beef

G'Man

Leave early in the morn. Hit Red during the day and stay in Blackduck at the Drake. We have a cabin near Blackduck and usually stay there or drive the extra few miles back to Bemidji. There are a few access's on the lake. Hilman's, Roger's, Mort's, Hudec's, and West Wind are the one's that I can remember...Once on the lake, the best I can tell you is good luck. You may hammer them or you may get shut-out. A matter of ten feet can make the difference. I like to use anything that glows. I am going to hopefully try those glass jigs this year that can hold a charge for three hours. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!

Watch the weather before you leave, it can get nasty up there..

Beef

gman2002

thanks beef, once up there and wherever i drive out from , will these guys give out any gps cords, or should i drive till i see some hole and jump around from there

fish4ed

gman - don't worry about getting GPS coordinates; you couldn't trust 'em from this bunch anyway (they are fisherman, after all). I'm heading up tonight, and here's the way I like to work it:

Book a room in Blackduck, and drive up the night before (if the Drake and/or AmericInn are full up, you can stay in Bemidji, Northome, or even Kelliher has a small motel). Drive up early am, onto the ice at Hillman's or West Wind - when you pay your access fee, ask 'em about where they're hearing good reports. Then, find the clusters of houses, and make it a point to NOT be part of the convention. During the day I'll fish a spot, move if not doing any good or if folks move in on top of me, then pick a spot where someone is least likely to run me over in my shelter and wait for the early evening bite. I'll be off the water no later than 7pm for the drive home.

I can't wait - it sounds like the crappies are biting some during the day this year; hopefully I'll be able to keep those pesky walleyes from hooking themselves long enough to get a few!

Paul Waldowski

gman,

I would follow fish4ed's advice to a T. Make sure that You talk with Mike and Diane at the Drake in Blackduck. Even if they are full and you can't stay there, stop and talk with them. They will help you out, and you WILL want to stay there the next time. When you get to URL stop at Westwinds and ask around for Kelly-P or Buddy Hillman, if they are not there head to Hillmans general store and ask about them there. Access the lake using Hillmans access and look for a couple of guys plowing at 80-90 mph . grin.gif You will know when you have found them.

beef

G

The replies are right on...After the last 8 years of fishing Red I have learned not to fish in the crowds. You will find the lake is like a bowl. Not a lot of structure but there are some "special" areas. I have noticed Mort's access has a way of producing more walleyes then some of the other accesses. Using electronics I have spotted more rocks in that area. I second Paul about Hillman's. They know Red very well.

Good Luck,

Beef

gman2002

thanks guys--- any depth i should start out at

hanson

gman2002-

13-14-15 feet.

You can possibly drive 4-5 miles out onto the lake before you see a permanent fish house. Definitely check with the resorts before you set out and they will give you a good idea of where to start. Once there, follow all the previous advise. Stay away from the crowd and move, move, move if you aren't catching anything.

beaverlakeman

Like the others have said, STAY AWAY FROM CROWDS... Gps coords are useless on red. Anywhere you stop and i am very serious, you can catch fish. As far as depth. stay 12-14 moreso on the 13,14 foot. You probly wont find anywhere deeper than 14 feet.

To get you started, which ever resort you decide to go out from, drive 3+ miles then start looking. even out to 5 miles from shore. Whats crazy but seems to work, and ive heard of alot of people doing this, is to not look for a specific spot. Just drive to the big crowds, go past them a ways and just stop and drill. Give it a solid 15-20 minutes if no bites, move 10 feet. When you get to a spot drill a bunch of holes and go trolling every 15 minutes if no bites at current hole. many people have gotten stuck on the way to "their" spot and drilled holes and slaughtered them.

The only thing your gps will do is get you off the lake if the weather turns bad. So remember to mark the the access before you get on the ice..

Lures to use, I would definately bring some tick jigs in the blue and red glows, and snake jigs in same colors. W.W has them in the bait shop..

Hope this helps any.

Good luck.

hanson

I should add-

1) If you are driving out from the east side resorts, 3-6 miles isn't out of the ordinary.

2) If you are driving out from the south side resorts, it could typically be 2-3 miles but you can keep on going and may possibly start to run into people who came out from the east side.