• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gophers Bowl Game

HawgTide

I can't believe that the Alabama football program has practically hit rock bottom! What happened to the good old days when you guys recruited real football players? Minnesota should roll up alot of running yardage but I'm not so confident in our defense being able to do much.

gophers QB.jpg

What happened to Bama??? What happened to the Gophers? They've fallen a lot further than the Tide. As soon as all the trials and lawsuits are over, you'll be able to read about what caused Bama to fall. There will be several books about all this mess.

It's easy to say, what could have been, but the injuries to the skill positions for Bama were devastating this year. We're down to our 3 string QB, 4th String TB, 3rd String FB and 3rd String TE. This, on top of the fact that we've had limited scholarships for the last 4 years, makes for a very ravished team. There is no doubt in anyone's mind (that saw all of Bama's Games this year), that they would be undefeated had they not lost their starting QB. We went from 9th in the Nation in Passing Efficiency to 112th, when he was lost for the season. We were in every game until the 4th Quarter, with no threat of completing a pass. Our Defense was ranked #1 overall most of the season.

I followed the Gophers the last couple of years since I live here. I really don't know how to pick this game. Bowl games are hard to pick because after sitting around for a month, you don't know how the teams are going to react. I can't see your RB's getting more than 50-75yds each. Bama held Auburns two great RB's to less, and they were considered better by the experts. If Caputo has some passing success, then the gophers will have a chance. Bama has small DB's that get burned. I don't think the gophers have seen a defense as fast and hard hitting as Bama's.

Your last paragraph is probably pretty accurate. I just meant the history of Alabama is so great and that they've come a long ways down since bear bryants days.

Yes, those days are long gone. frown.gif It has not been very stable there with 4 head coaches in 5 years. I hope that Shula will stay for a long time. I think he will prove to be a good coach, if people give him time to build a program.

I thought Mason was a good coach, but I'm starting to have my doubts after the way the last 2 seasons have unfolded. They have such a great offensive scheme, but they really need to put an emphasis on Defense if they are going to win the Big 10.

Quote:

It's easy to say, what could have been, but the injuries to the skill positions for Bama were devastating this year. We're down to our 3 string QB, 4th String TB, 3rd String FB and 3rd String TE. This, on top of the fact that we've had limited scholarships for the last 4 years, makes for a very ravished team. There is no doubt in anyone's mind (that saw all of Bama's Games this year), that they would be undefeated had they not lost their starting QB.

OH MY GOSH, that may be the most ridiculous quote I've seen in a while. 100% certainty in beating AUBURN, TENNESSEE, LSU, South Carolina and Arkansas with your starting QB??? NOBODY beat Auburn all year... Did they have Peyton Manning suiting up Saturdays in Bama before he headed to Indy on Sunday or what???????

It was not ridiculous at all. You obviously didn't see the games. Brodie Croyle was the #1 recruit in the country (along with Joe Mauer, depending on which service you go by) coming out of high school. He was really doing great before his injury. (44 of 66, 500+ yds, 6TD 0 ints). We've only had 3TD passes in the last 8 games since. We had the ball 3 times inside the 5 yard line against Auburn in the first quarter and only got 6 points! In most games we were completly dominating running the ball and playing defense, but by the 4th quarter, the defense is worn out because of so many 3 and outs by the offense. If you saw the LSU game, you would know that we got screwed by the worst call of all time (SEC admitted it). I know it sounds "ridiculous", but if you saw how close the games were and how poor our offense was, you would agree that we could have won them all with a decent QB. If you don't believe me, ask Corso, or Curry, or Golic. They've all said it on TV.

Could have won any of them, is far from the same thing as would have won all of them. There are exceptionally good teams that lose 1 or 2 games every year. Your support of your team is great, but your grasp on reality is questionable...

Oh well, I guess that's what being a fan is about. You would probably be a good Packer fan too, those fools ALWAYS believe they are the best team even when reality is they aren't any better than the Vikes...

At least I'm basing my perception of reality on something I know about. I don't think you've seen a single one of their games. If you have, you would be backing up your statements with facts instead of just dismissing my comments as ridiculous.

I know I'm a homer, I've flown to California and Hawaii to watch them play, even flew down to Bama to watch their spring game this year. But I predicted them to go 6-5 this year. I had no expectations. I saw every game this year and I can honestly say, in my opinion, we would have won every game this year with our starting QB. For example, when you are leading in the 4th quarter with 64 yards passing and 4 interceptions, and still lose, it's an easy to assume that with a few more yards of offense and a few less interceptions that we would have won.

Anyway, this is all speculation now. A season of what could have been. I know we have higher expectations at Alabama. Anything less than an SEC championship is disappointing. Now we'll have to see how your team does against our team, 3rd String QB and all. He has seemed to get slightly better in the last couple of games. I fully expect the Tide to Roll!

Here is your very enchanting quote Tidey Bowler...

I can't see your RB's getting more than 50-75yds each. Bama held Auburns two great RB's to less, and they were considered better by the experts. If Caputo has some passing success, then the gophers will have a chance. Bama has small DB's that get burned. I don't think the gophers have seen a defense as fast and hard hitting as Bama's.

I do believe both of Minnesota's RB's had over those numbers when it was all said and done... YUP... Barber 187 yards and Maroney 105 yards!!! I guess between you and the "experts" you were both wrong. Minnesota outrushed the Tide 290 to 23 yards!!! and outgained them 365 to 251 yards!! If not for Minnesota's 11 penalties for 83 yards and 3 ill timed turnovers! It could have and should have been a blowout my boy... our WR Ernie "dropsies" Wheelright dropped two TD's!! one at the end of the first half and another in the second half!! But being Minnesota nice we gave you 1/8th of your total points on a meaningless safety at the end of the game. If we played you guys 10 times we would no doubt beat you up physically everytime and on the scoreboard 9 out of 10 times. The Tide has really slipped, I didn't see one part of there game that was any good.

I hope your a converted fan now Tidester cuz the future does not look good in 'Bama. smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

I guess you underestimated our running game and overestimated your D. If the Gophers had played well and not committed so many penalties or had the fumbles (they had the fewest fumbles and penalties in the Big Ten) it would have been the blowout. That said, with the young skill players 'Bama has and the D they already do have they will be very tough for years to come.

I am happy the Gophers won the game, have been following them since the 1940's, but for once we got the advantage of some blown calls by the refs. which could have changed the outcome of the game.

Buzz

You show a lot of class in your post. No wonder the gophers have the fan base that they do, if you can't win with class, you sure as heck won't be around when they lose. You can make what you want out of the game. I've already explained that we were down to our 3rd and 4th string skill players. You take away Barber, Maroney, Caputo, 2 fullbacks and 2 tight ends and I don't think you would be gloating on here. Although your running backs ran wild in the game, the gopher offense only scored 13 points and that TD was aided by a blown fumble call that would have been overturned in the Big 10 conference.

Congrats to the real gopher fans and players. Their Offense and defensive line dominated the game. Yes, that was totally unexpected by me and a lot of others. We could not run the ball effectively with our freshman RB and that totally changed the offensive gameplan. Our QB couln't hit a wide open receiver for a TD twice on the last drive that would have won the game, so I don't know where you get this "blowout" talk.

I have a lot of friends on the board, mostly fishing buddies, so I'll stick to the fishing forums. When I saw the Gophers and Tide were playing, I thought it would be fun to discuss the game, but I was dead wrong.

Good Luck to the Gophers next year. They should be a top 10 team.

Roll Tide!

Wow, you can dish it out but can't take a fun ribbing! Boo hoo is all I can say to you... I'm sure you have alot of friends. confused.gif Roll on the tide!

No Kidding... The guy comes and says they'd be unbeaten if not for their injuries but they will still smoke us. Then what does he expect when we pretty much trash them. That supposedly vaunted defense was putty in the hands of our running game, and lets face reality here, the Gophers are not that good of a team and BARELY deserved to be in any bowl.

Reality Checks can really sting sometimes I guess grin.gif

Do you teach your kids to be good sports? I was taught that it's OK to talk up your team before the game, leave it all on the field, shake hands and say good game afterwards. I came on here Sunday to say congrats and all I find is Ha Ha, in your face BS. You can call it what you want or make personal attacks on me.

I don't see where I said we were going to smoke you. I said I expect the Tide to win, which I do every game. Did you see what happened to the Colts and Eagles this weekend without their starting QB? It makes a huge difference in the outcome, believe it or not. Facts or excuses, whatever you want to call it. I guarantee you the Gophers would be a lot worse off without Maroney, Barber, Caputo, 2 fullbacks and 2 TE's. And why would you trash a team you just beat? That only discredits the Gophers by saying Bama sucked.

You guys are reading only what you want to hear.

Good Luck to the Gophers next year.

Roll Tide!