• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

I think Whitetips is dead on. I was out last night (nice to meet you Joe and thanks for the tip) 30 feet of water. The higher suspended fish that I usually drool over to see were not active, the specs at the bottom were bitting. Got about a dozen or so and there were all 8-11 inches. Kept 4 for dinner and let the rest go (hmmmm). Only one came on minnow, the rest on euro-larva. Good luck this weekend, I'm heading to leech.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• moby1

• tisch008

Well I'm a little less stressed than yesterday, I guess because I'm getting used to ugly. Too early to call on the weekend status at the access, but with it being as busy as it's been and it's only getting warmer, things will deteriorate further for sure. Really bad can happen in a hurry, so maybe give a call over to the baitshop to get the latest info....763-546-6711.... Good luck to everyone at Tonka this weekend !

lakeman

Phil, I haven't used "Chubby" all year. I've been having good luck with my Buckrattle spoons. But yes, I did have a Northern bite me off last weekend. It's this one Northern on one of the islands. And this Nort shows up at the same time, same spot everyday. I know it's the same Nort 'cause it has a scar on the left cheek. It's not a little Nort either. I'm guessing it measures in the mid-upper 30's. So I've made it my purpose for the rest of the season to catch that little bugger! ooo.gif

Joe, thanks for the update, I'll call befor I come on Sunday. MedMan, about the time you target em, is about the time they turn tail and casuallly swimm away grin.gif Good luck!

Glad to here you had luck, also later once in a while a big white will come in high , they are biters so be ready to bring one up, they usually are 12 " and bigger, Fished south metro last nite, tough nite, switching all rods to Vanish after the nite watching fish sniff a swim away, Couple sp bobbers other than a wire bobber also, they were as fickle as I've ever seen them, Hope for the cold and snow to cover up the ice, bites on most lakes should be good at sundown and 2 hours after. Also the fish deeper are coming up with expanded air bladders you can try fizzing them a cattle needle from fleet, but they are tough to let go at this time of year

Gluck

I usually have good luck with those supended ones but the last few nights its been everything on the bottom. I tossed all the bobber and just use a super ultralight rod. With the larva on any movement of the tip would trigger a set. I was amazed how small the bites were. Did get one of those nice whites you were talking about, the rest were Black. I really brought them up slow to prevent the bladder issue, lost about 4 because of the super slow retrieval but I wasn't planning on keeping any, thankfully they all made it back down!

MedMan,

Good luck with your quest, I think we have all have been in your shoes before. I have been "dancing" with the same northern for the last 3 openers!

I just want to let everyone know about the vandalism out on Medicine recently. I have my perm. out on the 30' hole out in the middle, and about 3 weeks ago someone damaged it pretty good, but still repairable. It looked like someone backed into it with their truck a couple of times. Well we repaired it and left to go to LOTW for a week, then came back and it was completely totaled now. So everyone else watch out for these vandals out there because they are still around. I did call the cops and they have had other reports of vandalism out there so report anything that happens and maybe someone will watch over everyones stuff a little closer. I'll be out there at odd times of the day/night fishing and scouting for these vandals. Not that my house was anything special, but it was my shack out of the wind and cold and someone had to trash it for no reason at all. These guys are gonna hope the cops catch them and not me, cuz it ain't gonna be pretty if I get my hands around one of them.

Sorry to hear that. Regardless of value or looks it's still your property and NO ONE else should mess with it. For all of us fishing is an escape from everyday mess we have to put up with and for someone else to take that away really sucks. Again sorry and hope those punks get theirs soon.

I'll keep an eye out for ya, when I'm out.

Good luck everyone

Going out today around 2-ish. Had pretty good luck out there yesterday. Ended up catching a little bit of everything.

Was out last Saturday sitting on my bucket enjoying a good afternoon of fishing on Medicine---guy pops out of the nearest permanent and asks if I'll be around for awhile. I said you bet. He explained that earlier this season on another lake he had everything stolen out of his house and just wanted to leave it open (let his sunflower cool off outside) since he was running to the gas station only.

All of us have to look out for each other as we've all made some sort of investment to ice fish whether it be with permanents or portables. There will always be non-fisherman trolling through the fishing spots (last week it was a guy and a foreign gal in a small car out taking pictures of what was obviously her first time out on the ice! They weren't 10 feet from the permanent I was asked to keep an eye on.) If they had walked into that house or popped the lock on the door and started removing things I'm not sure I would have known if they were the owners or not with the exception of the picture taking and giggling. I'd imagine thieves and vandals would have been a bit more discrete!

As FMr's we owe it to each other and to other fishermen and women (those as yet uninitiated to FM) to help each other out.

Would love to get together and do a little fishing, but I don't know if I'll make it out Sunday or not. I may be able to get in a few hours if I go early. I'm going to play it by ear.

Good Luck

Holehopper, aren't you going to be at the Minnetonka event?

MG, really sorry to hear about that. This is the first thing I've heard about stuff this year. If there is anything you can think of that I might be able to help with just let me know. Stop in at the baitshop so we can meet and be of some help.

lakeman

Joe Harty, How is the road out front? Are the puddles froze up? Can you drive out?

Thanks

Was out there yesterday from 7-12. Went out and found Moby, fished with him a little bit before my hand decided to make an acquaintance with his lantern. frown.gif Went home and fixed myslef up before I met up with Tim-L and company around 9. Stopped in the baitshop and talked with Mr. Fuddy Duddy. grin.gif Found out metrojoe was out there so I went out looking for him. Drove up the north arm to only find MJ and BDR fishing for Panies. Chatted with them for a bit before finding Joe in the "Claw".

Called Harty's this morning and his access is much better. Does anyone know of other access to the lake. Primarily on the north end?

Thanks

Hey Fellow FMers,was reading the posts about Medicine today after my father-in-law had inquired about fishing it.Called Harty's but was dismayed to hear that it was a night bite. I haven't fished this lake in 20 years, so I figured it's about time to drill some holes. Going out at 11:00am-4:00pm so I'll post results later. Will be stopping at Harty's for a better line on things @ 10:30 or so. I'll be driving the Red Chev S-10 Blazer with the black Ice Sled portable.

fish4ever, there is an access on the north end of Medicine. There is also an access on the west side of the lake as well.

Hows the hand med man. I told you you shouldnt be stroking my lantern. Caught a ton of small craps yesterday up until about 10:30 then it died off. The fish were still down there just not biting.One was 11.5" the rest were small. Good chance I will stop out for a little while tonight.

You'd be amazed how much it's healed. There's only one spot where there is a mark. "Stroking my lantern" that just sounds dirty man. tongue.gif And it wasn't like I meant to touch the lantern either! mad.gif Hey, did you drop off Phil's auger yesterday?

MM,

Should we start putting WARNING signs on the lanterns and heater now.J/K

But stopped by Med Friday only for about 35mins. Iced 5 crops biggest being 12.25" white. Went back Saturday morning and didn't do much from 7-8:30. Moved about 30ydrs and could hardly managed one rod. Caught about 30-40 crops and biggest was 10.5", but man was that fun.

Good luck everyone

Ha.....Ha..... very funny Phil. mad.gif Hey, I was telling Moby and Tim that we should give you lessons on how to drill a straight hole! grin.gif

Man was it WINDY out there yesterday did manage a limit of crops for the pan it seemed minnows were the ticket yesterday fished with Moby1 amd Med man thanks for helping load up all my gear, Joe just wanted to say thanks again for the freebie just enough to tide Zach over till supper time

I fished her yesterday at sundown and the bite was light.

Then I downsized, to a jig that you would think is for catching minnows and a single uroe. That is what they wanted! After dark glow red, soft plastics!

Good luck,

Med man

picked up specials new auger bit yesterday. He scored big on that one. Talk about customer service, it doesnt get much better than that. The only other thing eskimo could have done is to bring it to my door.

Ill probably be out there Saturday morning as usual.

oh yeah. Dont be fooled by his disguise. IF you see a dude out there with a big silver oven mit on his big paw, it IS med man

I couldnt resist :+)

We'll have to see saturday morning if it cuts as good or hopefully better then my old bit. Looks nice though.

Hey man! Don't knock the ov-glove! cool.gif You and Tim had a pretty good time giving me crap about the hand. But just wait, it'll come back and bite ya! grin.gif