• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

I just got home from work and noticed some portables on Medicine! I just moved from Duluth and I live right on the lake. I plan on attending the FM event Jan 22 on Medicine but would like to get out there sooner than that. Can anyone offer me their "expert advice"? I would like any info I can get regarding this lake. Is this a good ice fishing lake? What are the main species targeted? I would like to go out after work since I live so close but I don't know where to go? Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• moby1

• tisch008

Portables on Medicine already! I thought the lake was open a few days ago!

Crappies, Gills, Pike, and the occassional walleye are targeted on Medicine. You might want to check with Joe Harty at Harty's Boat Works or MedMan on FM here might have some first hand knowledge already.

I've been tossing around some lakes to hit this Sunday, maybe I'll try Medicine then since I don't have to drive anywhere. grin.gif I'd go Saturday but I've got to assemble my Otter Lodge and start on some customizations!! wink.gif

I live on the SouthWest part of the lake and the little bay was blown open by the strong winds we had. It got calm that one evening and she locked up. I could hear it making noise at night. The one night I swore some one was shooting off fireworks!!!

i had the same reaction portables already anyone now the ice thickness how far out were they or what part of the lake its close to home for me but never get down that way.

bklimek, I would consider Medicine a pretty good ice fishing lake. Naturally you're not going to have a lot of luck if you don't know where to begin. So my question for you is this: What species are you looking to go after? Are you looking for higher numbers of fish? Or are you looking for larger specimens?

If you have any questions, you're more than free to shoot me an email. cool.gif

[email protected]

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I went out today. I was setup on a point just south of where the reeds are in front of the launch. Caught some really nice Bluegills along with some Merch and 2 Norts. It was great to get out! cool.gif

I got out for a couple of hours this afternoon off the West Medicine Park. There was about 3.5 inches of good ice, but I didn't venture out too far. Got one pike in 16 ft. Saw a few more get iced as well. I'm sure there will be quite a few people out there this weekend. I'm just hoping Tonka has 4-5 inches by Monday or Tuesday.

Hey thanks Chris Hanson. I just love it when a new guy asks questions about this lake, and especially if they are directed towards me. Even after all these years, it never gets old. I've directed hundreds and hundreds of folks over the years to all of my sweet spots and I can count on one hand the number of times that someone has come back and said "nope"....nothin!

There are just so many places to fish out here with decent results. Feel free to get ahold of me, I'll do the best I can.

Joe Harty

Went out yesterday, decided to try a few new spots. Didn't do all that well. Caught some Merch, a few Shiners, and a couple Pike.

we're going out tomorrow.

Can you help a fellow angler who's never fished this lake? We're looking for panfish. Where should we start?

Looks like a good solid 8" as of today, but I'm sure it goes up an inch per day with these temps. I opened up the access and plowed a parking lot on the ice with absolutely no sign of a crack. I think a few vehicles could park there this weekend. It's basically froze to the bottom right in front of the Baitshop. I would not go any farther than the snowbanks I plowed though. It's still too early to be driving out there, that is for sure, however, 4-wheelers should be no problem. Again, if someone needs a shuttle ride to another part of the lake from my place I would be happy to help with my 4-wheeler and trailer.

I'll be open Christmas Day 9:00--5:00/Sunday 7:00--6:00

The time has come,

Lakeman cool.gif

joe where are u located on the lake? medican is close to home for me ill probably be out there quite a bit this year.

Hey Duffer,

If you want to call me, feel free and we can take it easier from there. I'm definitely in the book. cool.gif

Joe Harty

Joe-

I plan on seeing you Sunday morning. What time are you open?

Also, do you think that ATV travel is OK now? It looks like you are planning on it.

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart or something but what's a Merch?

I think I figure it out, is it a "M"edicine Lake p"erch"?

went out this afternoon with crappie minnows...pretty slow

we were right off of the access on the west side

some guys next to us were using tip-ups and the flags were flying

8"+ of good ice

Going out again tomorrow. Can anybody point me in the right direction for panfish?

I've never fished this lake before.

tisch008, what species of panfish are you going after? Sunnies and Crappies hold in totally different areas out on Med.

greeney, you can catch pike anywhere on that lake. There are better numbers on the south end in the main lake. I'd set up tip-ups in 8-15 feet of water with shiners. Set the shiners anywhere from 5 feet of the bottom to right on the bottom.

Just a note to say Hi to you all. I was on here ladt year, but forgot my screen name.....I got the big itch to get out and drill a few holes. All have a good holiday and i will be checking in from time to time....

medman,

I'd take either. Just love to fish panfish. I've got some crappie minnows sitting in the garage right now and a container of waxies so I'm ready.

Will I catch either over on the west side by the access?

tich- yea you can get into some crappies by the west side access. Im headed out sunday to my crappie hole on the lake.

i have a fish on wheels but no 4wheeler would like to fish for crappies any help pulling it out

Just wondering how many ( if any ) permanents are out on the hole by the west side access ?? I have yet to drive by and take a look, and am thinking of heading out on Monday.

Gave the boy new ice rod for Christmas and he is ready to break it in .

heading out to medicen this evening for some night fishing this will be my first time ice fishing on this lake i have fished it in the summer but not in the winter any tips on where to start location wise would be greatly appreceated.

I went out to med yesterday. The fishing was slow. Me and 2 buddies caught only 16 crappies all day. But they were all between 8-10 inches so they werent dinks. They were real lathargic and were roaming around all day. Ice was a solid foot. I saw some cars and full size trucks out there. A car came out of french and drove all the way across the middle of the lake and got off on the south end.

We fished crappies for about two hours yesterday late morning. Caught one 27" pike. That was fun on my panfish rig!