• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

A buddy and I will be out, tomorrow. Probably in the vicinity of the first big crappie village. We'll have either a black Wrangler or a green Cherokee, and (I think) my buddy's new Otter.

If any FMers want to say howdy, drop on by. Should be out by about 2:00

The bite has been really light on the lake, but we've had no trouble getting fish. They get lively right around sunset.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• moby1

• tisch008

Up to but not after sunset. There's a great spot back in the SW bay, too. Go near but not in the villages. If you find 40' or deeper there will be crappies floatin' over it. Any place on the lake where more than 3 houses are near each other is a crappie spot! I've heard red glow flies work good but I usually end up using green. Ice flies or jigging spoons, but the jigging spoons seem to distract the fish and make ice flies less effective. Go to Harty's bait on the SE corner of the lake for all your fishin' needs! Joe plows the roads, gives advice and gathers the latest scoop on Med.

Was out tonight from 4:30 to whenever medman stopped by (7:30?). Caught probably 15 -20. Mostly 6-8" but a few 8-10". All in all a fun time. Got to try out the new shack. Sweeeeeeet!

Most on a minnow and a no. 10 pink and glow demon.

Medman, cool ice machine! I can't believe that thing! Maybe someday....

Loc9, good to see you again. Hope you caught a bunch after I left.

Let do it again soon!

Moby, next time you'll have to stick around and fish a little...

as a matter of fact, i did catch a bunch. had to move once at about 11 pm. just got home, for being such a close lake to the cities, i can't believe how peaceful it was out there tonight.

its good not having a life sometimes...

good to see you too tisch, and of course medman

see whoever out tomorrow on sarah.............loc9

I agree with you about Joe and his great advice! Also, I'm about ready to start asking for half scoops of crappie minnows as it seems like I'm always looking to give away a bucket full of them once the day is done. (I know I should be working on keeping them week to week but just haven't wanted to mess with it yet.)

Met Hole Hopper and Mrs. HH on Medicine on Saturday. They were nice enough to let my son grab the middle seat in their Otter and other than his first experience with leaning into a sunflower and scorching his snow pants he enjoyed some great fishing! I know those crappies aren't huge, but it sure is fun to put a bunch of good eating fish on the ice and in the fry pan. Then some gills to throw in the bucket and looking forward to some good eating.

HH and the Mrs. had my son using red jigs that seemed to be working very well. I had my best luck with a blue glow jig so maybe anything will work if it has the right bait and is in the fish. Crappie minnows worked best although I also caught some on waxies.

I really had intended to move from lake to lake since I'm new to ice fishing but I really like this lake and the variability of fishing opportunities. First time out was focused on northerns with tipups and now good crappie fishing and the bluegills can be good if you sort through the little guys.

One interesting note is that a couple of older gentleman stopped by while I was sitting on the bucket and shot the breeze. They have a permanent in another spot on the lake and were comparing fish sizes and what not. (they also don't start fishing until 4PM each night) One of the guys said he has caught three crappies from 12" to 14" this season but that the bigger fish are white crappies while the fish we usually catch are all black crappies (5" to 9" usually). I thought that was kind of interesting.

MetroJoe---I see Hole Hopper convinced you to hit it on Sunday-hope your fishing was good!

Man am I impressed by the quality of people I've met via Fishing Minnesota and the Ice Series event. Great people and great fishing advice! (thanks Rick and the moderators)

Went out Friday with Mrs. and caught lotsa crappies. We started out at the 47' hole/far SW corner and caught the cutest little 3" crappies. Moved to the main lake, found a school and set up shop. These fish were all around 9". They seemed most active before 5:30, but maybe the school just got tired of us - we never did move. Tried minnows after dark and they worked, but so did the waxies. We both ended up using green glows after side by side comparison. After dark it was important to charge up the glow every few minutes. We left at around 9:00 and the craps were still biting, so maybe I'll have to rethink that after dark thing. By the way, Joe makes an awesome pizza! A really nice time was had by all.

I know this lake especially the "main" crappie hole really gets hit from sunset on but we started fishing crappies at a little after noon and we had a limit on the ice by 2:30. That included throwing the smaller ones back.

After talking with the older guys that stopped by, he said they were catching on average a little larger fish and like I said they were not even starting to fish until 4PM. Maybe the timing explains the variability in size or it may just be the school(s) they are on run a little larger in size.

We were on one of the other deep holes (SE corner) and two Saturdays ago after the ICE Series event I stopped and kicked out a previously drilled hole over a different 40' hole and it was stacked with fish as well!

My house passes expire by 6PM usually on Saturday's so I'm real glad there is a day bite going.

Finally got out Sat and Sun late afternoon/early evening. I've been working too hard!

Got a handful Sat, but only a couple on Sunday. We were west of the big bar on the north end -- near a white house with green shingles. Fished in 32'. Fishing seemed best from 4:30-6:00 pm. Anyone else got suggestions on where to go or what times for crappies?

When I picked up bait at Harty's on Saturday he actually commented on how many FMrs have been hitting this hole after the ICE event.

The hole we've been in is 45' deep on SE arm of the lake. The other hole I checked out is about 40' deep and is just to the west of the south access (haven't fished this one but definitely marked a bunch of suspended fish a couple of Saturday's ago). Both spots have 3-5 permanents on them so they should be easy to find.

As far as timing, we were fishing mid-day (done with crappies by 2PM) but others do post about the evening bite on this lake.

Two weeks ago the fish were suspended and about 10' off of the bottom while this past Saturday, they were from the bottom and up for about 3-4 feet. They are very finicky eaters and you really have to set the hook on any bobber bounce or they will be gone! I started out waiting for the bobber to go under at least an inch and missed many fish before just deciding to hit them on even the tiniest bobber wiggle.

Folks were also picking up some crappies mixed in with the bluegills on the SW end in 20' of water and this was during the afternoon as well.

I have been doing some fishing on Fish lake in Maple Grove, some action right before dark but nothing of any size. thinking about heading out to medicine but I can't get there until after work. Anyone been having much luck with a night bite lately? Thanks in advance for any info.

From talking to others, I think that these crappies are hitting at all hours of the day. We did well this past Saturday shortly after noon. Week before, we were catching during the late afternoon.

On another post earlier in this thread I mentioned a couple of guys that were just out trolling for information and they don't even hit the lake until 4PM every night (permanent house).

Just a note that these aren't huge fish (5-9") but they have been biting pretty well. I'd say check with Joe at Harty's baitshop and he could steer you straight on the best place(s) to fish at night.

Good luck.

Thanks Tripleplay, from what I have seen, you and others on this medicine lake thread have been super friendly with your information.

From what I have heard Joe is the man to see! I will forsure stop in there and let you all know how they bite. Thanks again! smile.gif

Triple play,

Nice to bump into you out there on Sat. Had a great time fishing with you and your son. Me and Mrs Hopper had a great time talking with your boy. He is bright, and very well mannered. Even when his backside is on fire grin.gif Good Job!

Ya see, there I am cleaning off the middle chair of the otter for him to sit on and I notice a funny smell, look up and see smoke rising from behind the boy shocked.gif "WHOOOHH, SON, YOUS ON FIRE!!!" I grabed him, turned him around to put out the flames and the back half of his snow pants were melted. I asked him if he was OK and he said; "yes, what happend"? The litte guy still ablivious to what had just happened.

Could have been a disastor and I am greatfull everything turned out OK and that he was not hurt. Be carfull around sunflowers and children!!!!!!

He sure had fun pulling in those Crapps and I enjoyed coaching him, or was he coaching me? grin.gif

Lakeman, thanks for the tips and all the ice jigs! LOL

We met MetroJoe his wife and three children on Sun. you should have seen it kids everywhere running around with Crappies to be taken off there hooks! Metro, you have a fine clan there! and they know how to fish too boot!

Good peaple!

Good fishing!

Good laughs!

Does it get any better?...........

See you at Minnetonka on Sat!

HH,

According to his mom, he only gets to melt one pair of snowpants a season so he'll be wearing the melted pair for all fishing trips from now on. Might get a little drafty back there!

Off to the Forest Lake contest on Saturday, but I've started to "grease" the skids for a quick trip out on Sunday. We've got a neighbor boy who really likes the outdoors (I'm currently taking him with my kids to Firearms Safety class) that I'd like to get out on some fish. That tells me Medicine! Have to get back for the Super Bowl as that is a family tradition with the kids at our house (appetizers in front of the TV--kids love getting to eat downstairs) so it will probably be earlier in the day than last time. Hopefully you and MetroJoe left me a couple!

If I don't see you this weekend, lets talk and maybe fish together at the Rush ICE event. I'm sure MetroJoe wants me to partner up again due to his huge success last time!

HH,

Just caught that comment about how bright and well-mannered my son is----thanks. He is incredibly smart, but also a bit on the "lazy" side when it comes to school work so he is MAJOR sweating the report card coming home tonight! He was told at mid-terms the consequences if he didn't raise one of the grades and he has been too afraid to ask his teacher what grade he got.

I hope he got it done because I love being out on the ice or water with him as he can really catch fish and I enjoy the quality time with him. (you probably know all this from having a son as well!)

Well made it out to Med last night. Stop in at Joe's got some bait. Joe, thanks again for cleaning my bait bucket. Fish the outside of the ice cities in about 38' and didn't pretty darn good. Jigging spoon with dropper rig produced the most fish. Didn't really matter what you tip it with.

Good luck

Sounds like you were having some fun out there. I'm going to sneak out with my youngest and see what we can catch tonight after work (as long as the temps are so nice). Are the fish suspended or near the bottom? The kids tried last saturday and only caught a small walleye near the bottom, which makes me think they were fishing too deep for the crappie. Am I right in this thinking?

Hit Med last night. After stopping in to talk to Joe, I headed out with my new Ice Machine. Medman, are they awesome, or what? I saw things I never had before... have 2 new spots on the GPS, too... grin.gif

Headed to a spot out by the point and caught 10 keeper sized, to go with 4 or 5 smaller Crappies. grin.gifSome on a Mega Glow Demon, others on various ratsos & shrimpos I was using. All in all a great night out there. Didn't even zip the doors shut until I was packing up to leave. cool.gif

Is it me, or is the daytime bite a little faster action than the night? Seems like they shut down around 7:30 or so...

Yep, Holehopper convinced me to head over to Medicine. Glad I did too, I actually got the wife out on the ice, she likes to fish in the summer, but it’s rare to get her out on the ice. We all had a good time. Sorry to hear I missed the show on Saturday... grin.gif He’ll probably out grow those snow pants by next year anyways. wink.gif

Holehopper good to see you again and it was nice to meet the family. I’ve only got two kids, unless your counting my dog who thinks he’s a little boy in a furry suit.

Good luck at Forest Lake Tripleplay.

Hope this is info isn't too late,

The fish were anywhere's from bottom to 12' up. Most were suspended in the 3'-10' range off bottom. If you have a flasher I'd say go with one rod rig with a dropper setup and another at where you see the most fish. The fishes that are higher seem to be more active.

What I would do is drop the spoon to the bottom, pound it a few times and then slowly jig/raise at the same time. If a fish follows then I pause, jig softly, pause, repeat until bite.

Good Luck and tell us how you do

I am planing on hitting Medicine on Sun. But you know how plans go.......... isnt that right MetroJoe confused.gif I am planing on going on a search and destroy mission to try and ad some size to the bucket. Triple, Metro, or anyone else want to join me they would be welcome, and it would be a privlege with this FM'er. I hope you can still drive out from Joe's on sunday.

Tripleplay, I know it is harder on the parents than it is on the kid when you start to take away privleges. At least it is for me. I love em when they are that age! Wait till they get to be about 15 or so shocked.gif Then you cant teach em nothing becouse they know it all by then, 'dont you know'! grin.gif

Triple, Metro, We should definatly hit the ice again.

[email protected] Maybe we could make it a tripleplay at the Rush event grin.gif

HH,

I was wondering about driving out as well after seeing Joe's post on another thread. Maybe work back around to the access on the south side which probably gets less traffic would be best?

I'm still working on the kitchen pass for Sunday. Unfortunately it will be without Nathaniel as the report card didn't cut it. I could tell when he walked in the door last night and was hanging his head.

I wouldn't mind catching a bunch but culling a bit more and also trying a few other holes, but I'm not sure how long I'll have. Are you thinking about hitting the ice real early morning or late morning or what?

About 9:30 - 10:00.

Poor little guy frown.gif I would like to see him catching fish again. Is he trying?............ When you see him tell him HoleHopper is pulling for him!

My boy is on the A honer role sence I got custady of him three years ago. Befor that he was on the verge of being a school drop out when he missed 103 days of school in one school year when he was 11 years old and with his mother.

Funny though,........He dont try confused.gif

I dont know which is w0rse or which is better, depending on how you look at it. (trying or accual grade) I try to not push him too hard. I feel that he has made a big turn around from where he was at and in his mind, he is doing good!

Wish you luck, Triple!

How bad is the road and can you even drive out now?......

I will go anyways ,I got ice grippers grin.gif

Just got permission to fish on Sunday! If I'm not at Harty's by 9:30 or so I'll see you out at the hole. I'm guessing I may have some caryover bait from Forest Lake on Sunday but I'll still need some crappie minnows.

I'm real close on a portable as well. Looked at the Otter Lodge I've been offered and just remain unsure about whether I want to be driving around with the tailgate down especially if it is outside of the metro area or worse for an overnight trip. Love the house and the extra size.

I'm going to check out the Nordic at Thorne Brothers tonight and see if I can try the sled in the back of the truck. It is really 3" too long but wondering if I could lift the nose up to get it to fit.

No he's not really trying and that is the worst part. He is smart enough to skate through school but he needs to make some effort to keep the C's off of the report card. (he was warned at mid-term and still didn't make the effort so unfortunately now we both get to suffer. He's also been warned not to take this out on mom and sisters while I'm out fishing which is a big concern since he'll be upset about not being out.)

If Metrojoe hasn't jumped in by tomorrow I'll drop him an e-mail as well. Good luck on Saturday!

Another thing about the weather and the 2 ft thick ice tends to push them deeper but also bring some of the smaller fish up where the main school used to stage, this week fish have been coming from deeper water 28-35 ft on spikes after sundown, if you are marking them in a 10 ft area on the vex, concentrate on the bottem 5 ft of the markings. The smaller fish have been avoiding minnows, which makes it seem like they are not biting, try the deeper fish, noticed this last nite. Which is a chg from the previos wk.

Gluck

See ya there! I want to try some of the other 40 ft. holes too. I wonder if the other access in that bay will be any better getting on.............. oh well the sled should pull fine in water smile.gif You will love the otter or the Nordic.

I want to check out a thorn bros. light action sweetheart rod. Have fun!

Thanks for the tips whitetips!

Somehow I've got to get out of Thorne Bros. without breaking the bank! I just got an ultralight St. Croix from Cabela's as I had a gift certificate that I needed to use before it expired---I really looked hard for something else though as I've heard so many great things about those Sweetheart rods. Finally decided a guy can never have too many ice rods especially with kids and if a Sweetheart needs to come live in my garage than it just is gonna happen.

The other access really only has alot of snowmobilers and their vehicles driving on so maybe it won't be as wet. Joe will know what to do on Sunday.

Just got back from Med during lunch. Only got to fish for about 30mins, but man is it a great day to be out. Almost call in sick from lunch. The launch at Harty's is a lil beat up but not bad by any means. Marked fish but not as much as tuesday night. Got plenty to follow but only a perch and crappie to bite. Then again I only had some Gulp maggots as bait.

Good luck everyone

MedMan,

Did the nort take your Chubby Dartor or somehting?