• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vermilion River?

Went to the Vermilion south of Hastings and checked out the two landings off of 54. My question is are these good shore spots or does a person need a boat or some ice to get to the spots? I casted plastics for a while at both spots but had no hits. Seems to be pretty shallow especially at the first landing. Thanks for the info!

mm

Most people launch at the first landing, the whole river is shallow and not many spots over 10' deep, you gotta look out for dead head too. Good fishing can be had at certain times of the year.

Thanks for your reply Stratosman. Do you take your Stratos out on the Vermilion or do you have a smaller rig for there? Also, are you talking about Spring when the water is up as a good time to go? Thanks again.

mm

You can also get into the Vermillion from the River just below the (Contact US Regarding This Word) and above the Wildlife League beach. Put in at Red Wing and go upstream and you will find it and good fishing can be had up in there...

Mistermom,

Dushanes landing is a good spot to put in with a canoe or small(er) boat.

SInce Ice is nearing first ice can be gooddown there. However, especially in that river ice varies dramatically.

The tressle is a good ice spot to key in on for saugers and walleye and the occasional Jack.

The back water left of the landing can be very good early ice crappie and big northern spot as well.

I personally have had my best luck in open water down at Black Bird. So if you can get out, take some light jigs and minnows or plastics and work that area hard. Key in on the springs etc.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Yeah what Jim said, smaller boat, I did see a guy this November with a 18' new lund, but not the water for that setup. The spring can be good when the water is a bit higher, there are some huge pike in there, 20+ easy, when the water allows, you can head straight back from the first landing, down that arm is trudale dike, the fishing can be awesome up there if you can get there. I remember one May many years back we got back there and caught white bass on every cast for about 2 hours. But the water level dictates your mobility.

Jim I fish this area a ton in the winter and the fall, where you down there at all this fall? There was a couple of weeks where we pounded the walleyes every time. I can't wait for the ice to form.

Stratosman,

Unfortunately I haven't been down there in a while. If my memory serves me, I did some hard water walking down there last year.

It definitely is a "timing" thing. You either pound them or you don't. For me, the don;t have come more often, but it is a very unique area to fish for sure! What brings me back once and again!

Maybe we will have to hook up Stratos for some black bird jigging??

Jim W

For sure Jim!

The last few winters have been real good there, the bite lasts only about an hour though, so timing on a day to day basis is real key. I think that we fish blackbird about 10 or so times a year and 3-5 walleyes and sauger per guy in an hour or two of fishing is quite common. There should be walkable ice in a couple weeks, there are a couple guys around here braver than me so I usually get the report from them first.

I live only 10 minutes from there so I can go pretty much any afternoon weekday or weekend. I'll keep you updated on the conditions.

Thanks for the good info guys. I definetly want to learn this area. Its only a half hour from home. I guess I need to put in my time and get to know the river(s). Looking forward to it!

mm

• 2 weeks later...

I got down there tonight just before dark and made it to the trestle. Saw fish on the vex but couldn't get a bite. The few guys who were there had packed up and left by the time I got there which leads me to think there might not be much of a night bite. Anyway, I found the trestle and the deeper water so I'll have to try it again with some more daylight.

mm

mm,

COuple things here to share on this spot. I have fallen through down there enroute to the tressle. Save time and remain safe by following the tracks.

A couple spots to set up on: there is a "flat" that shallows on the inside turn, just up stream from the tressle. So you are on the West side of the river. If you can set up right on the current break it can be good there.

Another spot is downstream of the tressle just as the river begins to straighten out. Same thing there current edge and your good to go.

It is a hit or miss spot, but fun to try.

On another note, I swear I have had fish pick up there intensity while a train shakes on by!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

MM,

That might have been us, we were the first guys downstream of the tressel, the whole stretch below the tressel can be good, we have been marking fish there pretty much continuos from 4:00 till dark, with a few before that, not much going though, I think last night I kept two walleyes and caught a nice crappie about 15" Alot of smalll wallyes caught, many under 12", The biggest so far this year was 20". The hot lure seems to be a green buckshot with a minnow head. They are down there, just a matter of time before. Like Jim said, be careful around the tressel, although I saw one guy actually drive his wheeler under there? Below the tressel there is 7-8 inches of ice. Remember also if you plan on keeping any walleyes, above the tressel is border water, so size restrictions apply, below is inland water, better chance at getting something that you can keep. I like the 13-14 inchers out of there the best anyway. Lastly, don't waste your time fishing after dark, the bite stops. 3:30 till dark is pretty much it. The same pattern they were on during the fall bite.

Thanks Jim & Stratos!

Again good info and had I known I would have skipped the night trip (I hate using up brownie points on adventures that don't pan out.) I followed the wheeler tracks to the spot; but I definetly saw where there was spring action and less than safe looking ice.

I probably saw you Stratos. There were two guys with a wheeler who were leaving when I got there and then two more who left just as I set up on my first spot. I thought about talking to the guys I saw; but I have had mixed results when I run into strangers and introduce myself as mistermom shocked.gif

Anyway, I will definetly get back there again and give it a shot. I'll post here when I'm going and you guys could join me if you want. I would like to meet you Stratos. I've met Jim; but its been a long time since we've crossed paths. Thanks again guys!

mm

Hey MM!

That is my old stomping grounds! I have had my boat down there numerous times. Granted I havent gone much past the trestle with my boat, but in years past we have taken the duck boats from Hastings to Red WIng, fun boat ride! Stratosman and Jim gave you some GREAT info! If you are heading down that way again let me know. Has anybody been up by truedale dike?

Cory Frantzick

Hey Cory!

I'll definetly let you know! (I want to do the Rush get together but I gots to work that weekend mad.gif!) I got a question for you or anyone. Where is this "Blackbird" that I hear about here and elsewhere? I can't find it on a map. And it sounds good! I'm awfully curious. Thanks!

mm

Blackbird is pretty much where you were, technically the stretch of the river past the tressel. It is called that because the road leading to all the houses you see from the river is named blackbird trail.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if Vermilion is inland water and closing on the 20th of Feb or considered part of Mississippi pool 3? Thanks!

mm

Remember the discussions about the tressel? Down stream from there is inland, upstream is pool 3. The railroad tracks on both sides of the river serve as the river/inland border.

Let us know how ya do Joel!

I usually get down there in the spring and give the big slimers a go, there are some big dawgs down there!

Cory Frantzick

Hey Cory!

I have got to believe you have a pool 4 trip planned this week. I'm debating it. More than likely I'll just end up doing some mini ice fishing trips. Open water is calling!

mm

I wish!!!!

My boat is ready and calling my name! I am taking a group of guys from Gander Mountain in Texas out to Mille Lacs this week otherwise I would be down there! Nothing better than hitting the river on days like this! ALmost like adding a bonus day to your life......I wish I could persuade them to go there instead.

Cory Frantzick

I suppose ice-fishing would be novel for them. They can open water fish whenever they want. I'd love to get out too. No time and the weekend is booked. So I'm gonna go waste a couple of hours down on an open water discharge (Blackdog) on the Minnesota tomorrow morning while the little honey is at pre-school. Good luck on Mille Lacs!

mm

MM . . . What do you catch down Blackdawg discharge this time of year? I usually fish that summers for carp and cats. I've never heard of anybody fishing it winter though. Do you fish by 35w, or down by 77?

So far I've caught nothing down there. Dark30 has had some success catching eyes there late fall. I was going for eyes too. It looks good. There ought to be fish to catch there. But so far (2 trips in the last week) no bites. I've been limited to fishing between 9:00 and 10:30 a.m. So maybe a later afternoon time might be better. Good luck if you go! I've been going by 35W might try by Cedar Ave tomorrow.

mm

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been out with the warmer weather last week? I finally get to put a boat in, did some shorefishing the past couple of years. I fished the 2nd launch from shore, a few Eyes.

How shallow does it get upstream from the 2nd launch ?

2nd launch?

Not sure where you are talking about there? There is the one launh at Black bird, or us locals called Duchennes, and the launch in Etter by the bridge. Upstream from both is about the same safe for small boats just look out for dead heads..........Aways upstream from duchennes it gets shallow.

Cory Frantzick

• 2 weeks later...

By the bridge. Dead head? Never heard that term before. I will put in at Black Bird. Wheres the warm weather?>?

The landing by the bridge is further past black bird in Etter Township, the launch is right next to the bridge, from there it is easy to access Clear Lake, that area though closes with the regular season closing. Dead heads are logs. Be on the look out!!

Cory Frantzick