• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DGS

Marine Radio or FRS?

DGS

Question for All:

I would like your opinion on the subject of 2-way radios. I have a cabin on ML and would like the convenience of communicating to the cabin while I'm out fishing. 90% of the time I'll be fishing within 5 miles of the cabin. Should I get a marine radio (dashmount) for the boat and a handheld for the cabin or should I be shopping for the handheld FRS/GMRS radios that are gaining popularity and low cost?

Does anyone know what kind of range to expect for either radios? Wanna offer an opinion for either type?

Thank you in advance!

DGS

The range on the GMRS is not like they say they are. I have found it to be much less. They also eat batteries pretty bad.
A handheld marine band is not intended for land use. Their range and battery use can very as well.
Go with a dash mount for both the boat and cabin. I have this combo and it works great. The range will be based on two factors of the anntena- db gain and length. The higher the db rating and the longer the anntena, the higher the talking range. I went with an 8 foot fiberglass 11db for land, and use a 3 foot 6db stainless for the boat. My range is about 4 honest clear miles. I then went to a 6 foot glass 9 db on the boat and i can blast out all the way across the lake. Its also important to mount the land anntena in a clearview area, meaning no obstructions.The higher the better, the tip should be able to see the lake.

You also want to cut the coax on the boat anntena. Shortest length to the radio as possible. The boat radio should also be 100% WATERPROOF, not WEATHERproof.
You can also buy a 12v/120v power supply to run the land radio with no batteries.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-20-2003).]

rmh2o

definitly go with 2 dash mounts and the long fiberglass antennas if you want to reach out and touch someone