• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SE report

amery

Just in from McQuoids.48 hours 4 guys 8 lines 0 fish none,notta,nothing. Terry from McQuoids says worst fishing in 28 years,we believe him. We highly recommend Brainerd nitelife at the Iron Rail then downstairs to the Caboose.What a $1.00 can buy is amazing cheaper than shiners,smells the same.

Fri-Sat got 3 walleyes (no slots),2 on fatheads/rattlereel, 1 on rap jig in perm out of macs in 23'. Lost a few bites, let them take it long time, but they left the minnows on the hook, one fought for a few seconds. Sun- Mon 0 bites! wondering if its time to move out farther or deeper? Anyone else having better luck on SE side?

thanks,

mMh

Just off Big Point Saturday eve to Sunday morn in 22'. One bite.... I had the wife and didn't put forth the effort but one lousey bite! I plan on heading out to the flats.

mpls- it is a ghost town out on the flats right now, its kinda strange to see most of the popular flats empty. Bite was very bad at flats too! Tried a number of my favorite spots moving a lot and really working hard all day and ended with only 4 and some jumbos.

Hey all-
Fished Friday 2PM to Sunday 1PM on the big lake. Agreed- really really tough. Wife and I Stayed in a perm out of Mac's- (great folks- real nice shanty). We got warmed up and into the groove on Friday night in the shanty- saw a few fish on the AV cam but no takers- one bite from a perch- missed. Saturday we took out the portable- drilled 50-60 holes from Boot Flatin the mud all the way to weeds and rocks around Hennepin and worked and worked and worked.. one 4" wally, two 2" 'pout and a few small perch. Did manage two whopper perch back at the permanent about 6PM on Saturday night- one at a hair shy of 14" the other at 13" but we've never seen fish so finicky. Watching them on the camera was truly unbelievable. We're really finesse fishermen through the ice the past couple seasons especially- we were down to 2# flourocarbon line, tiny jigs, waxies, spikes etc., and they'd come up- nose it- then just move away. Like somebody else said here a week or so ago- we threw the works at 'em- everything from Hali's to Angel eyes to Moon Glows to Fat Boys to plain hooks and minnows- garlic scents, crushed egg-shells down the holes for some attraction, you name it- we tried it- everywhere from 11' to 35' of water. Saturday we spent 9 solid hours moving- 10-15 minutes per hole- all to no avail. Sunday afternoon we tired of the "elephant hunt" and we asked around about some smaller lakes in the area. Some really nice local folks gave us instructions on Bulldog lake west of Mille Lacs and we ventured over there on Monday, dragged the fish trap and gear out and found some nice crappies til just after sunset. Had to wade through a bunch of smaller perch and smaller crappie but we came away with a dozen good eaters and best of all- we were actually catching fish- what a nice surprise! I suspect a huge forage base and a lack of snow to quiet noises and darken the water a bit may be playing a part in Mille Lacs slowness but who knows. If we had to do it over again I'd probably have picked smaller lakes entirely considering the reports and conditions I'd been reading. God gives you lemons- make lemonade. Great time all around though. We'll try and make it back up again for some perchin' in March if the weather holds. Tight lines everybody and thanks for all the good posts on the thread.

-Todd & Veronica Berg

Paul- I wish I would have known you were out there, I would have tried to meet up with you again. Did you happen to bring along that trouble maker Cory?

Yeah!!!

Cory was along. I think they knew he was coming though, because we weren't out there for an hour when along comes the CO checking things out. While Cory was trying to get his license out for him he missed two fish smile.gif
He just hates it when I outfish him grin.gif

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

Paul, I would enjoy meeting up with you guys on Rush or milly sometime. Both of you guys are 1st class members. I have been on Rush about 5 times since our outing, that is a fun lake.

Paul, I promised my wife I would take her out Saturday and that usually means spending Sunday doing her thing(shopping)! But if there is a trip to milly on Sunday, well that changes everything, "you see honey I know we were going to do your stuff on Sunday, but the thing is, I mean, well here's the thing, ummmm thing is...." Paul if you guys do decide to go and want company email me at [email protected] and I will try to make it.

Hmmm, Saturday does sound fun, but I am taking my wife out that day. I was thinking of clearwater of Milly but when I take her it involves picking one spot turning the heater on high right next to her and maybe moving once all day. I know you guys run a gun a lot in the winter so I will have to settle for maybe seeing you out there.

Let me know next time you want to go.

Paul,

I'm heading up with my oldest son Sat morning for our first ice outing of the year - will be a half day trip, so we're gonna hit it hard. What access you heading out of and how early you going? My son's a die-hard for going early if we're gonna go (chip off the old block smile.gif ). I don't mean to invite myself along or anything, but thought it would be nice to meet up with some FMers on the big pond if possible.

Email me if you'd like to hook up (no pun intended). Hopefully see you tomorrow.

Blaze
[email protected]