• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tips for Sleeper Houses

BradB

Howdy folks,

This will be my first winter with my own sleeper house. I was up at Mac's last weekend working on it and met some nice folks that have been doing this for a number of years. I learned a couple of tricks:

1. Cut the bottom out of a bucket and put it in your hole, then pack insulation around the hole. This keeps the holes from icing up.

2. Put a drop of liquid soap on the inside of your window and wipe it all around. This helps keep the windows from freezing up.

Do any of you fellows have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing? I bet there are a lot of tricky things that folks have thought of over the years. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Brad

Don't leave anything in the house that would be upset about getting stolen. And leave your door unlocked or easily broken into. We had our door locked pretty good a few years ago so when the zits on the arse of humanity tried to break in they needed to chop quite a few times with their ax to get into the house. They managed to get in as I think it is almost impossible to stop them. However on the same evening ours got broken into our neighbor must have had a better locking system and they couldn't get into his house so they burned his down. We have left ours unlocked for the past 2 or 3 years with no problems.

Good point MJR I also never locked up my old house never kept anything of real value in it and never had a problem now I have a retractable so where I go it goes the big hassle with it though is finding bridges that you can cross with them

Thanks guys. It's sad to hear about people's houses being broken into and burnt down. There's not much you can say about that except that some people are just stupid and evil.

I'm hoping I'll find some cameraderie out there where folks will look out for one another. I certainly will watch for the people near me.

I'd be interested in hearing as many tips as possible. Thanks for the bif and CO tip, as well as the sad one about criminals.

Brad

Sounds simple, but do you have enough shelving? When I made my sleeper, I messed up by not having enough storage space, especially when others were with me. When I added some shelving near the ceiling, it sure made things more comfortable.

Oh yeah, Hand towels hanging on hooks above the hole, to wipe your hands after they get slimy.

Didn't reinvent the wheel here for you, hope it helps

heres a couple i plan on adding to my house: buy a couple of boat seat pedestal bases and screw them into the floor and put your boat seats into them, you can swivel back and forth between your holes and remove the seats when boating seasons returns. 2. Get a five gallon drinking water jug with a spigot and build a shelf for it about chest level. Buy a small sink at a salvation army or clearence sale at home depot and bolt it to the wall below that. attach some hose to the drain and run it through a small hole in the side of the house and you have running water.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.