• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rum river

Are there any good spots to shore or wade for smallies? Any access points to hike and wade to?

Man am I getting really anxious to get my line wet for some rum smallies!

And if anyone ever had an empty seat in their canoe and wanted to hit the rum, just send me an email (should be on my profile). I'd jump at an opportunity to explore more of this awesome river!

Big Mike,

If gas prices hit the projected $3.00/gallon I'll be spending even more time than usual on the Rum but can't get you to places where a canoe could....yoou're welcome whenever a seat is open. No minnows either - at least until WAY late in the year.

Daze Off

Daze Off,

I'm definitely up for the Rum whenever you are looking for a partner. Canoe or boat, the rum is an awesome river from ice-out to ice-over! Plus there is a lot of water you can still cover even without a canoe. There are some real hogs in there, as I know you know! Plus you've got that longer net now so we're assured to get that trophy in the boat this time (I'll be your witness for the "one that got away"). wink.gif

No minnows works for me (the outing I was with you on last fall was the first time I've used live bait in forever), I've been stocking up a little here a little there this winter and have a good arsenal for those brozebacks to take a look at.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Me too! No point in getting all fired up yet. But its coming up. We should start doing some serious planning come mid- April.

It's past mid April! I'll have to check with the powers that be, but I think Saturday June 12th might work out to canoe/float the Rum for me.

Have Canoe, Will Paddle.

June 12th! Who is in? We need a start point too. I'm familiar with Princeton to Isanti but I'm willing to go further south. What do people think?

What has worked for us in the past is to have a midday and/or end of day meeting point and leave it up to the individuals going where they want to start. That way you don't stack everybody up at one spot and you can go up or downstream..... Just something to think about.

mm

What kind of rigs work best for catching walleye on the Rum?

I like to use jig and minnow combination; but I also use plastics. Also trolling spinner rigs and trolling/casting cranks can be good.

Using nightcrawlers with floats or slip sinkers can work but it is tough to get a walleye bite before the carp and bullheads get the bait. Better to use minnows with those methods.

mm

Just moved to St. Francis about a year and a half ago. Looking for a guide for the Rum as I would love to give it a try. Just drop me and email if you're looking for a fishing partner. I have a 16-Lund that we could drop in somewhere where the water is deep enough to do so.

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer

Your drift boat would be perfect on the Rum. As far as places to launch, there are public accesses all through out the river. As well as other spots too.

[This message has been edited by FishinFix (edited 05-11-2004).]

Well, el drifter has no motor on it, unless you count my arms (2 stroke, no pun intended)

if anyone is interesting in floating from a drift boat during the week, I'd like to give it a try, preferably in sections that are a bit wider and have current, if possible.. let me know [email protected]

I've never even seen the rum, but often get it confused with the crow river, which i dont think is big enough

Would anyone know if the rum is big enough to float a driftboat on? Do you have to portage at any spots with a canoe? Is there a launch where I could get my driftboat into the river? It's a fullsize 16' Hyde.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to give your drift boat a try but no clue where to launch or park. How will we get the boat back up to the launch area after drifting 5 miles down the river? Are we ready for the rapids? Hehe.

I'd love to fish the Rum. Only place I've fished it was at the dam in Anoka. Another place on my list of targeting areas in the next two weeks.

OK Gang!
MTNet and myself are planning on Saturday June 12th for a Rum adventure and tentatively planning on going from the Anoka fairgrounds area. So join us for a rum-soaked adventure. We will post the details as they are worked out, possibly on a brand new thread. Aloha!

mm

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 05-27-2004).]

Anybody? some...Burller...Bueller.

float the Rum, catch some smallies, enjoy some refreshin refreshments.

SAs mistermom pointed out, it's Saturday June 12th.

Have canoe, will paddle.

I'd love to but I'll be in Hutchinson with a group from church for our annual camp meeting.

I got two canoes for sure, possibly three for use if people need them.
Best Fishes
Chris

Hey all was on the Rum last night between Cambridge an Isanti Smallies walleyes an a 39" pike!