• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rum river

First off welcome to the board.

In the summer the stretch you speak of I heard is the most remote, so that would be a good bet to try in the summer. (higher water levels warmer temps and such)and no people.

The Anoka section is probably the best chance now. Deeper water. But get ready to share because there's a lot of people that fish this section. (all no wake to)

I was there Sat morning. I was skunked. I saw one smallie make a half azz attempt to take my jerk bait, but to no avail. Then it started to rain and the wind picked up. We left.

Good luck.

my wife and I launched our canoe in cambridge last weekend.only caught 1 tiny smallie.had something hit a big muskie topwater though.couldn't tell what it was but it was cool

One baby one frown.gif Go more south then. Like the Rum River Regional park to the Anoka fairgrounds/boat launch. Be prepared to share the water as it get's busy.

• 1 month later...

You should get out there! I used to fish the black eddie 20 years ago. I had a blast catching gators on tip-ups. I would catch the occasional walleye in there too!

mm

Does anybody know if the park in Cambridge is still open water or froze over? Thanks!

mm

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 12-08-2003).]

Where is this black eddy?

I know its winter, but I'm anxious to canoe the Rum next summer. Is it better above the Anoka dam, or below?

Hey MT!
Its a backwater south of Cambridge. I am real familiar with the Princeton to Isanti stretch of the Rum. I grew up in Cambridge. Maybe we could hook-up and I'll give you a tour some time. I promised E-Bass I'd show him around too. So maybe we could all hook up at some point.

mm

MM! Cool, that would be a hoot! I've only been on the Rum twice, from St. Francis down to Anoka. I have an old Alumacraft canoe, mostly been BWCA use. I want to get a motor mount and attach my electric trolling motor to it, maybe some Down East rod holders. Smallies on the Rum, what fun!

Wooops!!! Busted again, its not breaktime! Dang! wink.gif No matter, tonight is the office Christmas party, everyone is abuzz with party talk. I prefer fish talk. wink.gif

------------------
Good Luck!

Later on they'll just be buzzed.

Yessir we should do a little canoe trip fm type get together on the Rum next May. Lots of places to fish and to pull up for a shore lunch. It is a hoot!

mm

Come next bass season, if anyone has an extra seat in the canoe, I'd love to float trip the Rum but I'm bound to shore frown.gif I've had the opportunity to fish the rum a couple times with Ebass and Dazeoff. On my outing with Ebass I caught a 19.5'' smallie and on my outing with Dazeoff a 20.5'' smallie... I'm thinking of renting a canoe for a weekend and making a long float trip down the Rum myself or with a friend come next summer. It's an awesome river with great fishing.

Hey MT!
I gots a canoe too so maybe we can give BigMike and some others a ride along. There are lots and lots of different stretches where people can put in and get out. So if it got to be a few groups we could split folks up and have a common destination point..... We got all winter to plan something. So there is no hurry.

mm

I've got an empty canoe but no experience paddling Rum. If anyone knows the river and wants a seat let me know...sounds like fun. What a great name for a river.

Cool! The FM Rum River Floatilla.

The more the merrier. I've only been on it a couple of times. I know there are some picnic and cmpsites along theway.

I just ordered a map, The Canoe Guide to the Rum River. Lots of reading and thinking to do in the "library". wink.gif

MT, where did you get the guide. I'd like a copy of that myself.

Jim and Sarge by all means join us. I would imagine that folks would like smallies to be open when we go. So late may early june would be best. You wait until later and the bugs get bad (and anybody who has followed any of my threads knows how I feel about bugs).

This could be an explore small rivers club! We just pick a new river and work out the details. Maybe every couple of months?

mm

MM,
If one of the moderators will allow it, I could post a link, it is on the DNR website. State canoe routes - Canoe and boating guides. There are 20 different river guides.

This sounds like a lot of fun, Sort of a river every other month club. First 2 weekends are already tied up for me. Late May would be great, especially for those metro bugs. wink.gif

Hey guys-

I thought I would give you a few suggestions.(from experience)

Get a hold of the local DNR/Dept. of Waterways/Whatever(politically correct name it is this week).

I beleive they the are to keep the river path clear enough for a canoe to pass through.

Well folks, I'll tell you that I can name multiple spots(about a 10 mile stretch) on the rum, that even a toy boat(or trash that careless people don't take with them) couldn't get through.

I have taken it apon myself to cut some log jambs free.(NOT RECOMMENDED)I have a chainsaw that I use with the bar oil, and oiler removed to clear paths so it is navigatable. It is a lot of work and can be dangerous, considering, current, wind, keeping the water on the chain for lubrication without killing the engine, and keeping your balance while the current pushes the logs up and down binding the saw.

***AGAIN, I wouldn't suggest anyone try this, thats why I am writing this.***

Call, unless you want to take a trip where you have to "portage" around log jambs(don't get me wrong, this can be fun, and add adventure to a trip),it can be hazardous.

Canoeing is a whole different ball game when you can't control the canoe, it starts to go sideways ,pinned up against a log jamb, balance can be crucial.

I have seen many, many, canoeist pass me while fishing, and are obviously not used to river canoeing.

Just keep in mind that the group may have a wide range of ability levels.

I think this is a great idea and this is a great river to do it in, even if never canoeing in a river before. In this area there are very few fast water areas, maybe class one rapids towards the St. francis region, easy to navigate by a novice canoeist.

I don't want to be a downer, just concerned for a beginner on rivers.

Keep it safe- RR4

Whew! What a dinner!

MM called for a FM Rum River Fishing Regallia Tutorial next May. When the time comes for the details, maybe we can work something out. I may have room for you. Now all we have to do is wait!

"explore small rivers club", I like it! smile.gif

RR4 has a good point, people will have different skill levels.

I think it sounds like fun.

Thanks Jim,
I had to load the Adobe Reader on my PC to view the digital maps. Really neat map once it loads up, you can pan around and zoom in and out. I ordered a few of the paper maps.

Here is the link for the rivers in the states canoe routes;

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/routes.html

Here is the specific Rum River info, you need Adobe Reader to view the PDF files.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/rumriver/index.html

If you need to download the free Adobe Reader, here is the link;

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Good tips RR4, we put in just below St. Francis, nearly swamped the canoe in the rapids. Easy going the rest of the way, a number of smallies caught!

Now to wait for next season...

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 12-10-2003).]

I was telling my wife about the Rum River FLoatilla and she shared some of her childhood stories about the Rum. She grew up across the street from the Rum near Hwy 10.

Years and years ago, one of the neighbors who lived along the Rum had a float plane. He would land the plane on the Rum, just over Hwy 10 toward the dam. Take of was the reverse from the dam over Hwy 10. Ankoa put a stop to this shortly afterward.

Sweet! I got my Rum River Guide!

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 12-15-2003).]

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this topic and would like to get in on the Rum action but am much more interested in sections of the river that are accessible with my boat. I have fished from the Anoka dam to a couple of miles north but have not made it up as far as the Rum River Regional Park in Ramsey due to water levels this past summer. Any other stretches to consider?

At some point I will take the boat as far north as I can from the Anoka landing and then tie it off and wade further.

Daze Off

• 1 month later...

Soon it will be upon us, floating down the ever so gentle river, I can't wait!

I have a canoe(17' fiberglass with indian tips(high bow/stern)). Depending on where people decide to go, I could lend out the canoe, if I could float my flat bottom(depth wise).

I'm around the Cambridge stretch of the rum.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a canoe, but not the exp. on rivers and little in lakes. I even have it hooked up with a home made trolling motor mount and a small trolling motor. This sounds like fun. I fish from shore in the Rum all the time but I've never been out there in a boat. I've done a few float trips on the Missy and the Croix and had a blast.

Only a few more months to go! We'll have to see what happens, when people are available. Looking forward to floating/fishing the Rum.

Hey guys, i have been reading this thread now and i would be very interested in fishing this river this spring. i love to fish both smallies and walleyes and it sounds liek a good river. I go to the university of minnesota and this is probably the closest and easiest bet for me to spring fish for walleyes. i am an experienced canoeist in river water and faster water and if anyone could give me information as to where the best place is to put in a canoe, and where to fish id very much appreciate it! i may have access to a canoe, but if not i would be willing to help out with any expenses to anyone who would be willing to take on an eager fisherman. if you would like to email me any info my email is [email protected]. Thanks guys in advance and i hope to see people out there this spring!

Me too! No point in getting all fired up yet. But its coming up. We should start doing some serious planning come mid- April.

mm

RumRiverSW.gif

D'Oh! I thought I could get this to work, inserting a pdf file of the Rum River Guide. Spent most of my lunch hour just to get this little picture.

gophers 'n' eyes, closest put in for you, (asuming you live on campus), is right in Anoka, where the Rum and Mississippi meet. About 2 miles from me.

mm- right, a bit early yet. But cabin fever is running high. At least I still have some walls to paint and doors to stain in the meantime...Oh the excitement of paint and stain!

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 03-04-2004).]