• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mississippi

• 2 weeks later...

Below the ford dam. Good rip rap, creek inlets, slackwater, fast water, islands, wood, etc.

ALong and below spillways adjacent to lock and dams! ONe is across from ALma on the Mn side and the other across from the Genoa dam on the Mn side!!! NIce mixed bag!

Jim W

Carp fishin under the High Bridge in downtown St. Paul. shocked.gif I cant wait till it warms up.

------------------
Ice fishin SUCKS...
But I do it anyway.

Has anyone been out on the 'sippi this year shore fishing? I'm thinking of trying pool 2 this weekend for some early smallie/walleye action.

Any reports?

What do you guys fish for from shore on the Mississippi?

I like fishing for carp from shore just for fun. I almost always fish the Mississippi.

Miss can be good for eyes, smallies, carp, catfish(flats and channels), pike,crappie and just about any other fish you can catch in that river. I fish there mainly for cats and carp with occasional outings for others. Any one been to pool 2 yet this spring?

I like Monticello & the Little Falls Dam. I plan on giving Snuffy's Landing a try this year wading & slingin' baits for smallies.

Rob

I fish at fort selling cause they got lots of walleye and sheephead there

best of luck

Heading down to fort snelling this weekend to do a little walleye fishing. Anyone els got out lately?

I'll be headin down to pool 2 ford dam area in the next couple days, ill drop a report then.

i like to fish off the landing in downtown St.paul, tons of carp and cats.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-27-2004).]

I'm all geared up and ready for tomorrow morning. I'll be heading down to either minnehaha/ford dam or to lilydale. I rigged up a bunch of different stuff to just try out and get my rythme back. I think I'm going to use everything in my box smile.gif.

I'll report back fish or no fish smile.gif

Fished yesterday in the sun and warmth around hidden falls with no luck, and then below the ford dam. Hooked and lost one just below the dam but never saw the fish, felt decent.
Fished today in the wind and drizzle below the ford dam. Hooked and lost one fish again, felt decent, never saw it. Don't think they are taking it too aggresivley, not getting good hook sets.

Both days there were about a dozen boats around, saw nothing caught and heard of nothing caught besides crappies. I was fishing with plastics. Lost one fish on white curly tail, one on black, so really can't tell a pattern. Both fish were hooked fairly shallow on the rip rap banks. Probably about 4-5 ft deep.

Well, I can now say that I've got my first casts of the season in, as well as my first stop by the dnr co's (I was happily surprised because I went all of last year without ever being asked for my license), my first backlash, my first skunked outing, and first lost lure frown.gif... Oh well, you can't win them all BUT I am definitely not complaining because I loved seeing free flowing water without it being -10 degrees out! And to just be able to get out, make some casts, try out some new methods/techniques from all my magazine reading smile.gif.

I tried really hard to develop a pattern for anything that would bite...I tried everything today but nada. I was fishing the shoreline around lilydale and it looks like the water is still really low. Hopefully the rain we got last night will help that a little. Anyway, hope everyone else that I saw cruisin' by out there caught something!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been out lately? I been wanting to go out for a while and wonder if they are biting

I was out up in the park by ramsey, off bunker lake, only fished for an hour or so, caught one northern I suppose was 5#, had a big ol smallie blow up on two. Needs to be alittle warmer and hope fully the water rises a little but you can never win and fish what you can fish. Sorry Guys I was fishing the Rum. MY Bad
Best Fishes
Chris
IBOT WANNABE

[This message has been edited by huskiesplayer15 (edited 04-12-2004).]

Favorite spot is ironically the only spot I've ever fished on the mississippi. Its next to the college campus in st cloud (where I attend school which is why I fished here). Actually the only reason I fished there is because I don't know of any other spots in st. cloud to fish. Fished there yesterday and pulled out a lot of smallies. Caught one measuring 19 1/2 inches!!!! I thought it was a giant carp at first. Ended up just being an old 5 1/2 lb smallie. I was in shock.

[This message has been edited by outdooraddict (edited 04-19-2004).]

Why cant I delete my own post?

Anyone else have problems with posts not showing up until a few hours after posting?

[This message has been edited by Dynasty (edited 04-20-2004).]

Ben? 19.5" smallie? Thats awsome!

I caught (actually hooked it in the mouth!) a whopper of a LM bass at my 'secret lake' it was 2" pushin 2.5"! I was gonna mount it but did the right thing, I let her go.

I haven't been there since Sat AM when the water was low with BigMike. Sheepies were on a tear and so were the crappies. All were small except one big sheepie that BigMike caught. I'm thinking it was about 6 pounds. It was over 2 feet long with a HUGE head.

When the water starts to fall it should be a good time. Well fishing is a good time anytime.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Fort Snelling a couple of days ago. The sheepies are definetly biting shocked.gif With the occasional walleye, Carp, dogfish, and all of your other roughfish. Hopefully we will get some rain to raise the water and the walleyes will start biting.

Where do you guys fish from when you say Fort Snelling? Ive wanted to try this area but dont know where I can fish from. Do you go in by the park across from the airport? If so how much does it cost to get in? Or do you fish from the other side that has the beach?

My favorite is pool 3.My favorite for eyes is the prescott area(going down there tonight because I left the boat up north for the week).The dam is a blast in the summer for carp and cats.I havnt been down there for a while but used to go all the time and there are some huge carp.Down south of prescott there is an island just past the wing dams that has everything from pike and smallies to big cats, tough to get too though.There are some spots on the croix and pool 2 wingdams from shore that are hard too beat.Hard to pick a favorite (just love being out there)

To get to fort snelling you have to park in the fort snelling parking lot, (or the Church parking lot if you want to get a ticket) And walk down the road to the bike path. Then you walk down the huge hill and keep walking straight after you get to the bottom and you will see a rock path that leads to the water. I like to fish were the stream and the river meet, or within 50 feet from there. You can also walk farther down towards the bridge. wink.gif

Went to fort snelling last night with a couple friends. We caught three eyes, a dozen sheephead and a white bass, and a sucker. We were only casting worms off the bottom and leaving it there until we got a bite. We weren't really tageting walleyes. The walleyes were between 15 and 18 inches. The water is really low down there. Maybe the lowest I have seen it.