• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN T-wolves-All I Think You Need to know :)

Scott M

On the heels of today's announcement of the Houston-Orlando trade that sends McGrady, Howard, Gaines, and Lue to Houston for Francis, Mobley, and Cato, the Timberwolves look like they have some contenders. Crowned early favorites for next year off the loss in the Western Conference finals, the Timberwolves enter an off season in contrast to last year, in that I don't expect them to do much except GET HEALTHY. They had players injured in training camp last year and it continued until their very last game of the season. I’m going to make an early call and say the Western Finals will be Minnesota versus the Rockets or the possible recipient of Shaq. I like the Wolves to win the West and the Finals next year because no team goes from 0 for 7 to NBA champs in one year. It takes time. If they stay healthy and continue to build the chemistry they held this year, they have the look of an NBA champion with great sharing/teamwork, dangerous scorers, a good team defense, a legitimate go to guy, a respectable bench, and a shrewd coach’s coach.

The wolves have some talent but they should expect to compete against a healthy Kings team that may make some moves this offseason, granted they are cash strapped. The Kings are feeling their age and some say have missed their window of opportunity. There are also the Spurs, although they seem to be a piece or two away (I guess Rasho didn't fit the Robinson mold). Watch out for them if they resign Ginobili with enough room to sign another player. The Lakers, when that storm passes over, will still be a good team if they can keep one or two of their hall of famers. The Mavericks are dangerous and even more so if the Shaq trade goes through. And there are always young up and comers in the west that can steal enough games to make the playoffs. Let's take a look at the Wolves and see what they can/will do, going position by position:

Guards: The Timberwolves bring back Sprewell and Cassell, and they both can still bring it at a combined age of 67. However, they need capable backups as these two put on a lot of miles with Szezcerbiak and Hudson hurt most of the year. They got kicked around by the Lakers without Sam. Hudson has opted out to chase money, as he should as he's probably a starter in many other cities. However, I like their chances of resigning him. He likes it here, he knows we are winners, and perhaps Glen Taylor will open the wallet again. If he comes back I hope the ankle stays healthy and he can spell Sam for a serious penetrating and quick release shooter. He's fun to watch. It's worth noting that Sprewell has a player option but he most certainly won't opt out. One conversation I heard on the radio suggested Spree opt out so they could sign him for less money but 1) The offers would come in from all over and the price would likely go up for us instead of down and 2) Even if no one else made an offer we don't need another Joe Smith fiasco. Darrick Martin is gone, (boo hoo, thanks for the game 2 bounce-it-off-the-back-iron-and-in-before-halftime memory) he's not really an NBA backup anyway. Fred Hoiberg is an unrestricted free agent. He was a great Johnny-on-the-spot as a crafty veteran. I sit on the fence here; they may go back and get him or they may go elsewhere. A healthy Wally usurps him. Trenton Hassell is a restricted free agent. In other words, we can match any offer. Reports from the St. Paul paper say he wants to get paid like an NBA starter. He needs to realize what an opportunity he has here in Minny. He got cut by the TerriBULLS because he's not that good. But he fits the niche here as a defender. We don't' need him to score. It'd be hard to see him have this kind of success with any other team. I expect he'll be resigned in the 1-2 million dollar neighborhood. Wally Szezcerbiak needs to be healthy. He had career lows in just about every statistic, but that was a result of the injury and a cut in playing time. Whether he starts or comes off the bench (I like him off the bench), we need his scoring punch and energy. Off the bench, I see him as a Vinny "Microwave" Johnson. Starting, his defensive liability is sometimes unveiled. You know its officially summer when the Wally trade rumors start floating. I don't expect him to get dealt, and he is a fan favorite in this state. He showed last year that his ego was not a problem and he could find a niche. I wouldn't trade him. Blake Stepp WILL NOT make this team. VERDICT: I think the Wolves need Hudson or UFA Derek Fisher. There are some other second tier PGs out there like Rafer Alston and Travis Best. The backup point guard needs to be rock steady. Between Spree and Wally, we're pretty set at 2 guard. Moves or no moves, guard remains our best position entering next year.

Forwards: The Timberwolves really need work here. The cupboard's pretty bare. Just kidding. The reigning MVP forms the cornerstone of the franchise. We all know how good he is and what he brings. And crazy as it sounds, he hasn’t peaked. He’ll put up even better numbers next year and he could take another MVP home next May. I really feel he’s better than Duncan and given the opportunity Duncan had, would also have garnered 2 rings in that position, but that’s another topic. Gary Trent and Oliver Miller will be gone. Oh well. I hear Gary is pretty tight with KG. I think KG is old enough to know that entourages and posses belong off the court. I hope management doesn’t bring either back. Ndudi Ebi has been working hard, according to McHale. That’s encouraging. He’ll be holding a roster spot again. Keep working. For like 2 years. Then call me. Every team needs a young guy: to build a future for your franchise put also to carry the veterans luggage at away games. Last year I was so dissapointed that the Twolves got Mark Madsen. But after a while, I realized why. I hated what he did to us in the Lakers series. He does anything, works his butt off, and never complains about it. He’s the guy you hate to play against but love on your team. That actually about covers the forwards of the T wolves. VERDICT: The wolves could make some additions here, but do they have the cap room? This is one thing I don’t know. For one thing, you need to be a CPA or a lawyer to understand the cap rules (see 103 questions about the cap at http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm). The wolves could use a big bodied F/C’s as I’ll delve into in the next paragraph, but when 6 of the 9 teams with the most cap room are in the west, what are they chances they’ll land here? Adonal Foyle, Erick Dampier, Stromile Swift, Mark Blount, Antonio McDyess, Rasheed Wallace, and Mehmet Okur are probably out of the question and will be highly, highly, highly, emphasis on highly overpaid elsewhere, and they headline a list the list of forwards. It’s not a great free agent year for 4’s and 5’s. The T wolves will sign a couple guys between now and the start of the season that will be cheap. Young big bodies or veterans. Flip is a good enough coach to make it work. Call me crazy, but Vin Baker’s been kicked around enough and made huge money. He should come here and work for cheap and learn from the best in KG and McHale. I doubt it’ll happen, and who knows if Vin’s lost his baggage yet.

Center: This might be the biggest area of concern for the Wolves. Since the West brings a talented center every night (read: O’Neal, Ming, Brad Miller, Duncan), we need someone to counter it. Earvin Johnson did great. Really, he did. For a throw in guy in the Milwaukee trade that was added to make the numbers jive, he sure filled the spot. But he’s not our solution to a title. Plain and simply, Mr. Olowakandi needs to play in more than 40 some games. He showed flashes of brilliance. Give him some time. Word out of Minneapolis is he’s staying here this offseason and working on his game. I predict he’ll be better and start and finish the year at center. He does need to show some ambition though. He looks like he has no zest for life in the NBA, like he rolled out of bed, threw on his jersey, and went to work 20 minutes late. Besides needing to get healthy, Olowakandi, like the wolves, just needs to develop within the organization. He really took a beating from fans and the media, but I think and more so hope that he’ll be back and have a good year VERDICT: The wolves have no choice but to fix Kandi. Even if they wanted to trade him, his trade value is so low they would get nothing in return. The wolves could sign a cheaper Pryzbilla or Ostertag to a backup or possibly starting role, but lord forbid that. In today’s day in age, a dominant big man is hard to find. The wolves will make something work. He wouldn’t need to score. All he would need to do is provide 6 fouls, protect the paint by blocking a few shots and cleaning the glass, and pitch in once in a while when Garnett has a deep low double team. Then it’s easy layups and dunks anyway, so it wouldn’t take much skill. This fix will be like the forward position. If someone gets signed, expect someone young and big, or old but seasoned.

T WOLVES IN 2005!!!!

You definately follow the wolves don't you. I am with you 100%. I too am a diehard T-wolves fan. I think there should only be four sports in this world (1) Fishing (2) Hunting (3) Racing and (4) Basketball. Not to offend anyone, but this many would do for me. I love all sports from tennis to golf, to football, I am what you call a sports fanatic. Those are the four I couln't live without.

Center is the weakest position on the roster. We need a couple bigger bodies to play D and block shots. Problem is there is nobody out there to fit the bill. We live in the age oif the Dunk and 3 pointer. Very few kids grow up wanting to bang in the paint, work on post moves and footwork, get a go to shot and block shots. Theres just no time on ESPN for paint players unless your a Shack or Ming. Shack is HUGE and dominates because of that not great skill and Ming still has a good upside but lacks mobility. Problem is the wolves centers arent even close to those 2 yet. If we luck out and get a above average center that can get us good D and 10 points and 10 boards a night look out!
KG will get MVP again!

Lots of changes in the last 10 days. The Shaq trade is huge, causing the situation at center to not look so bad for the t wolves. Ostertag or Keon Clark anyone? How about these huge contracts? They look ridiculous! Mark Blount, Al Skinner, Skip to my Lou Rafer Alston, Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur, Adonal Foyle all getting huge contracts. These guys suck!!!! I'm afraid that we could be in for a lockout in a few years when the CBA is up or ticket prices will go way up, or garnett's contract will look like chickenfeed, or all of the above.

Anyone go to the t wolves summer league games? I heard a couple guys look decent. I hear 3-5 guys will go to camp to push for a few spots. I guess there is a 6 10 high school grad that's got a big body and like a 7 3 guy. If you know anything more about those two I'm all ears. We could use a body like that. I also hear Ebi hasn't looked so good. Oh well, he's a young guy with guaranteed money, he's not going anywhere.

Somewhere I read on this post or the main post that Blake Stepp would be our backup pg this year. Not if he puts up the numbers he has so far. I wanted to check his stats but he's not getting much PT and when he's in I heard he had a few air balls and a bunch of TO's. Keith McLeod blew him out of the gym.

Looking for takes on what the wolves should do as we approach the open period of trades/free agency in like 2 weeks.

1) Sit still, these guys are getting huge money that we can't afford

2) Go get someone, and who?

I agree with most of what was said. There's one thing to be corrected. Sprewell started at small forward all year & has played that most of his career, so don't count him with the guards. Trenton Hassell will most assuredly be resigned, he's just about the biggest reason we were the #1 seed in the playoffs & went so far. There's not a lot of shutdown defenders in this league, but he is one & he can score some, they just need to look to him to score a little more during the season & not get quite so much offense from Sam & Spree, which wore them down. I'd like to see them sign THud & have him start & plan on Sam playing a lot off the bench to conserve some miles & keep him fresh for his quarter, err the 4th, either alongside THud at that point or whoever the matchup's dictate. THud's D is much better than Sam's & will only continue that way as more tread leaves Sam Casual's tires. He's a great player, but we need to use him more judiciously & I'm sure Flip knows that, he just had no choice last year. I look for Blake S. to make the team as the 3rd pg. I agree it looks like Ebi's at least another year away.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Kandi needs to improve & take over as the starter with EJ as the backup. I expect that to happen if he stays healthy so McHale can improve his limited basketball IQ. At least limited from the game application standpoint.

bigbucks,

good point on spree. he is a 3. It will be interesting to see how they go about the starting PG position. I would err a little to the Cassell side in terms of starting, but they both pack a punch. Minutes will be a plenty for both. Any rumors floating regarding wolfies?

Only thing I've heard is they're trying to sign Hudson. He'd like to stay, but he might be able to get more money elsewhere. I'd say he's going to be a starter in this league, look at Chauncey. We need to try to keep him, as Sam might only have two years left in his tank. The West looks to me like ours for the taking with just a little improvement from some of our players & a little more health. Boozer signing with Utah's going to give them an awfully good pair of forwards, with Andre K., they'll be a lot tougher.