• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need some advice...

Lowe

There have been two nice bucks on the field I've been hunting. I've passed up several smaller bucks and a lot of does waiting for a chance at one of them, and last night I got my chance.

It's a nice eight point, maybe a 18" spread (the other one is a lot bigger, but I haven't seen him the last two times I was out). He came in right after 5:00, a little over thirty yards out, broadside, facing away. smile.gif As I started to draw back, a doe that was behind him busted me and snorted. frown.gif The buck ran back about 75-100 yards and then just watched me for about ten minutes. I tried to grunt him in but he wasn't having any part of that. He knew something was there. Soon after it was too dark to see, and when I climbed down and they trotted into the woods.

Should I move my stand? I'm set up in a narrow neck of field connecting their bedding area to an alfalfa field, by far the only predictable spot the buck frequent. He did display some pre-rut actions (grunting, chasing does) and I was thinking of moving and using scent to try and lure him in. I'm going to take tonight off and probbaly hunt Sat. and Sunday, which may be my last chances before I leave on a business trip. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I would set up another stand where he ran of into the woods. Did you watch where he ran off too? Usually his secret escape route. He probably will use that again. I would set up inside of that route off the field. He likely won't use that field during lighted hours unless he has too. Good memory. But he might come take a peak where he came out of the woods.

Like I said... I wouldn't move the first stand if their are does, because the bigger second buck you haven't seen will be chasing those does and you want to still be where they are.

Maybe see if the does are still out there tonight, and if so, go back. Otherwise head for the escape route.

]

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 10-31-2003).]

Move...first he ain't coming back during light. second, you'll be sitting in that stand ten minutes and you'll start second guessing your location. I'd say anywhere but where you were is better than where the doe and buck busted you. I bet it was fun but then disappointing. That's what I love.

Try to find a spot up high on a knoll or hill about 10-20yrds in the woodline near where he went into the woods, He will most likley be very causious when coming into where your stand was. He will likley come in down wind of your old stand and walk in a half circle to see if you are there or nor, try to find a spot such as this and you will bag him. He will still be around due to the does are there.

------------------

Lowe,
Is he coming out and leaving from the same general area? If so, there is a main trail back in there some where from which he is traveling. If you can find this, I would set up there.

He comes out a different spot each night, otherwise I would much rather try to ambush him on the way to the field. Neither the grunt nor rattling has been effective, I will try a doe bleat this weekend with some fresh scent and move the stand a short distance.

The bucks come out later than the other deer, and at times there are 15 or more does on the field. Hard to draw back without one of them seeing something, so I think I'll camoflauge the blind a little more, too.

Thanks for the advice so far.

The reason I'm a little reluctant to move is the buck knew something was wrong, but he did not know what it was and never left the field until I came down. He has come out at a different spot each night and each night when I leave (there's no way to sneak off the field) he leaves a different way. This is on a hayfield next to a farm that has a lot of human activity, so he doesn't seem too wary - yet. As I said before this neck of field is the only place I can pattern him, and the many does in the alfalfa field seem like a good bet to intercept him, especially with the rut heating up.

Exciting but disappointing? That pretty mcuh sums it up - I was still shaking 15 minutes later. smile.gif

Definitely move. Even if it's a different tree 20 yards away. Up another few feet would be better too.

He's near a doe already...the pre-rut is on. During pre-rut and rut, they dumb up a little and he will likely show again during legal hunting hours.

Definitely use scent. He's anticipating the smell of estrus right now if he's hanging close to the does. You know the old scent drag trick right? Drag some by the areas he's been coming out. DO NOT walk on any deer trails and DO NOT step on any of his scrapes if he has any. Make a semi-circle within range of your stand and while doing so, drop off at least 4 scent bombs along the way also in range (I use 14).

Do not snort at this one. If the other one is bigger, he won't want to play and it will likely alarm him. Doe bleat...that's all I ever do any more. I've pulled bucks off of does they've been chasing with a doe bleat.

Good luck! I want to see pics.

------------------
"Aim small...miss small"