• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3"Mag or 2 3/4" slugs?

CornPirateKiller

2 3/4" Winchester 385 grain partitian gold slugs are the way to go. 1900 FPS at the muzzle. I've used them for the last 2 years and have only shot 3 shells to get 3 deer. 1 of them was right around 100 yards out.

Thats my $.02

Just checked, Federal has a 2nd generation sabot out that is similiar to the Winchester. Has anyone used those yet?

Capt'nJosh

[This message has been edited by Capt'nJosh (edited 10-29-2003).]

I don't think the 3" slugs are worth the extra cost. I've been shooting federal 2 3/4" slugs for years and at 50 yards, you can't beat them. Most times, the slug will blast right through the deer. At 100 yards, the 2 3/4" will knock a deer right down with no problem. Farther away than that is getting to be a tougher shot with a shotgun. You'd better make sure you've got a steady hand and a deer that isn't moving. Bottom line in my book is 98% of your shots with a shotgun are probably under 100 yards and the 2 3/4" shells perform admirably at that distance. Good Luck!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I would shoot what you can shoot most accurately with your barrel. Knockdown power is a distant second in my opinion to accuracy. We need to get away from basing our decision on what we shoot based on ammo costs. If we can afford the license, gun and clothes, plus a host of other costs that many spend, then we can certainly afford the most effective ammo our gun will shoot.

Last time I bought a new barrel, I shot 6 different loads through it before I found the right fit. And I will still be open to improving on that one.

I would have to agree 100% with Josh. I have been slug hunting for 4 years now and have not been happy with the performance of the slugs I have been useing. I decided this year i was going to do some reserch. And this is only what I have read, but I did alot of reading. I have always in the past used 3 inch mags, and I found out alot os good things about those Partion Golds, so I went to get a few boxes. When I got there, there was no 3 in. After talking to the guy in the gun dept. he said that a slug that size would not travel any faster than 1900fps, so Winchester did not make a 3in. So that works fine for me now that just means one more slug in the tube. But I think Pete is right on matching the ammo to the gun, but the Winchester is a good place to start.

Friends are trying to tell me that I don't need the Remington 3" 1760fps foster type slugs and that regular 2 3/4" are better.
They say the 2 3/4" slugs are more accurate, but I like the extra horsepower for killing nockdown power!
What's your thoughts?

Go to Gander Mountain and get balistic charts from Remington, Federal, & Winchester. They give you all the data on their slugs.

My opinion is that my 2 3/4" accuracy supercedes the slight more distance that some may claim with 3". 3" tend to be a little more wild for accuracy.

Just a bit of info, I shoot Federal Barnses Expanders in 2 3/4", 3/4oz. I'm confident up to 200 yards with my gun......

As for killing power...........whether it is 2 3/4" or 3", 3/4 oz or 1oz.......that big chunk of lead is going to bring anything down if hit in the vitals......

Gary

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!