• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Climbing Tree Stand Questions.

Sinker

I was wondering what the opinions of the deer hunters were on using climbing tree stands.What I'm after is like:weight,ease of use,noise putting them up,noise hunting with them,carrying them into the woods,etc.I have used a hang on type for years but have been kicking around trying a climber.One reason is that there are legal issues concerning screw-in steps on state land here in WI.Just looking for any thoughts.Also,I only hunt during gun season and the area I hunt has pine trees with branchless,straight trunks up to about 14-15 feet.Thanks......Forgot one thing:Maybe them climbing sticks would be the ticket?How are they to use?

[This message has been edited by Sinker (edited 10-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sinker (edited 10-27-2003).]

Sinker; I almost asked the same question yeesterday, instead I just went out and bought one today. I didn't get a chance to try it, but I will in the next day or two and post. I got a Summit XLS; 19 lbs., one of the better ones out there I think. It was one of the more expensive ones at 220, but It was much lighter then some and seems like it will be quiet.

I understand climber trestands work well on the "telephone pole" type trees with no branches. Is is just me, but doesnt everyone usually hunt woods near swamps and thicket area where the last thing you will find is a suitable tree for a climber? I was just up scouting last weekend and looked in my area and couldnt find ONE tree that could be used for a climber! Ok, I did find a couple pine rows near the roads, but I dont hunt near roads! I have and always will have a ladder stand that can work on most any tree without slicing the branches off.Seems the deer videos on TV are produced mostly in the South where huge pine stand trees are common!

I've noticed the same thing. Its so hard to find a tree exactly were you want to hunt that will accomodate a climber. I have never used one personally for this reason but have hunted with people who have. I mostly use ladder stands.

We hunt north central pine/popple forests where most everything has been cut in recent years. Everything comes back popple, so there are many areas where the only treees are 4 to 8 inch popple (or smaller). I got a climber specifically for that reason, but if your area isn't right for them... A ladder is just too heavy, and not high enough in many spots. Another benifit to a good climber is they look more comfy/safe then my strap ons, having armrests and a front rail.

I picked up a climber this year and although I have mixed reactions about it, overall I like it. I got a Summit Backpacker. I went with Summit because I read a review in Outdoor Life that said they are known for their clinging capabilities (sounds safer to me). Where I hunt up by LOW there are a bunch of aspen and some bigger pine but most of the pine need to be trimmed a little bit as you climb up. I figure that over a couple of seasons I'll have a bunch of trees trimmed up so it'll be like having stands all over the place. The thing I don't like about ladder stands is that I almost always get busted on them. It's a new item in the woods and unless you find the right tree with good background you'll be skylighted to the deer. My tally on ladder stands is: 1 deer shot from powerline and 4 deer busted me when set up in the woods. I guess I just like to get up higher than a ladder will get me. That's my 2c worth.

Love my Ol Man climber. No trouble finding trees, (in Aitkin Cty) Popol, Birch, Oak and some maples. It is very Quiet and very stable. way more comfortable to sit in for long times than clamp/belt on's too. No screw in steps, fold and back pack ok. The only complaint is that I got the bigger one, and it's a shade wider than me when on my back. It does tangle on the brush a bit, but never enough to make me think about using the old one. I'm a bit afraid of heights, and couldn't do more than 12 - 14ft with the hang on, usually only 10!. Have gone to 20 with the climber and no problem. Usually like around 15 - 16 seems best. Whatever the tree will allow. usually go to the first good branch, (will trim dead ones off on the way) and use it for a gun or day pack hanger.

Thanks for the replies people.That helps to get some opinions.Don't know what I'll do yet.I've spent so much in the past year and a half on outdoor equipment that I'd have to hide it from my wife if I bought one.Later.

I picked up an Ol man last year and so far I love it. Much easier to use than those screw in steps. You do need a tree without many branches but if you look around you usually can find one near where you want to be. The other nice thing is you can switch the direction you are facing on the tree fairly easily and quietly.

I also have tree limb problems that make me shy away from a climer but wish I could use one. What I like I is ladder strap on sections I have 5 sections at four ft per section to get to 20 if I need it. I strap my stand to my back and sinch the sections into a tight bundle and off I go. Plus the effort is much less than screwing in those hated steps and safer, ten min. tops to set up with stand and quiet too. Later Boar