• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Storys or Favorite Part

kingkidfisher4431

I dont personally deer hunt myself but... i would like to give it a try in a year when i can finally hunt by myself.. i was just curious as to some of the deer storys people have, some of the ones shot? around camp stories? or any story that might give me the feeling of being a deer hunter... im just asking this so i can see how good it would feel to be driving up to the camp in the camp shooting the deer or not... just seeing them i would think is good too???but if evryone here could write there favorite story or favortie thing about deer hunting that would be great!!!!so i could get the feel of it for myself!!!!
jake...,

P.S. When does deer season start? How long is it?Muzzeloading Season(start and end)?

Deer season starts Nov.8th Sat. Muzzleloader runs I believe to the end of Dec. check the Regulation book or go on line dnr minn. Best hunt was with my young son being with him in the outdoors enjoying nature.

A list of favorite parts of deer hunting could go forever. We are just uder 2 weeks away from firearms season and I have already had many great times this year. I consider all the scouting,Prep, building stands,sighting guns,limbing trees all part of this years hunt.

This year will be my boy's first shooting hunt. It is very enjoyable to be out preparing with him and my dad together. I didn't get to hunt with my Gramps, but I did get his Winchester 94 30-30 and this year it will be passed on to another generation.

BDR,

I started at age 14 with an open sight Model 94 30-30. I shot just one deer with that rifle, but, it was my first deer and a very memorable one at that. We spotted a small mulie in open timber and only about 50 yards away. I made a poor first shot and hit the buck in the shoulder. He was hobbled, but still very mobile.

We tracked him for some distance and finally spotted him moving across a big draw 150-175 yards away. At that distance, it was decided that my buddy with a scoped .284 should kill the buck, but he emptied his clip, missing four times, and the buck was nearing heavy cover.

Realizing that the buck was getting away and that my buddy wasn't nearly as good a shot as reported, I sat down, propped elbows on knees, held a little high and pulled the trigger. The buck tumbled down the side of the draw and lay dead at the bottom. Not a bad shot with an open-sight 30-30, but I will readily admit that a fair amount of luck was involved, too. I still have the brass casing from that shot...it's got a little piece of masking tape with barely legible writing in dull lead pencil: "1st Deer".

I moved on to a scoped Marlin 336 30-30 the next year and killed a fair number of deer with that gun. It was a very accurate and reliable gun for me.

At age 18, my dad and I hunted elk for the first time, so he gave me his Model 70 30-06 and I still shoot that rifle today. That rifle has been extremely good to me and has accounted for more than a dozen deer and one small bull elk.

Man.....I do love deer hunting.