• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Harvesting vs. Killing

BDR

I can't say that I don't always refer to it as one or the other.Most of the time it's "I got this or that". The P.C. term would obviously be harvest. and in my opinion rightfully so. My views have changed alot as a result and educating from others on this board. To always say killing,killing killing does inflame non-hunters,antis.

If there is less distance between hunters and non-hunters I will be greeted at the door friendlier when looking for private land to hunt. Or maybe these little changes starting at personal levels can start to close the gap a little at a time. No harm in that.

I used to have the thinking "I am who I am, and if you don't like it go away".As I get older I see how foolish that is and only hurts me and in a lot of cases hurts the whole.I now relize that even little old me can have a impact on the future of hunting.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you say harvest you have in I one word given a description of your intension's.
To me harvest means taking a wild animal for food.

I don't harvest mice and rats, I kill them.

I've seen to many hunting shows where the guide will yell "kill um" leaving me the impression they are only out for the Kill. Hunting and harvesting are not only about killing. "Take um" would be a better term.

If you were to tell me you killed a deer I would then ask you if you plan on eating it. If you said you harvested or took a deer you would have expressed yourself and intension's.

When I talk to others, I say I got a deer or birds, or caught fish. The DNR refers to 'taking game,harvesting, reducing to posession,etc.' In my own mind, I know that I am killing this animal that I admire. As such I take extra care to do it in a sporting and humane way. When that animal dies, I always feel a bit sad,and I take just a moment to reflect on what I just did. I,ve been at this thing for over 45 years. There is no killing lust, I just know where I fit in the natural order of things. I've seen how animals die a natural death and its usually not pretty. To me, a successful deer hunt is not a monster rack[although I wouldn't pass one up] but a clean kill. And making sure that nothing that can be used from the animal that dies is wasted. I owe them at least that much. I'll climb off my soapbox now.

I've allways killed the game I go after. It's a fact of life. I might say I got a nice deer or I caught a couple walleye but I don't use words like harvest. I do however say CPR when talking to people about fishing. PC sucks, I've allways had a problem with it. I've never felt sad after killing an animal. I am allways happy and I thank my creator for the eats.

[This message has been edited by eyeguy54 (edited 10-26-2003).]