• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Harvesting?

What's with the term used by some on this forum "harvesting"? Seems DNRPC to me. When I shoot a dear, I shoot a deer. I don't "harvest" it, I KILL it and I hunt and fish mainly for the meat. The DNR likes to tell us that we should hunt and fish not to kill an animal but to enjoy the outdoors. Yes it's nice being outdoors, but if you just want to enjoy the outdoors, why buy a license? The last time I checked, we don't need a license to enjoy the outdoors. Give the DNR time, they're probably charge for that.

Call it what you want to call it but harvesting sounds better to those non-hunters than killing. You say you hunt and fish only for the meat. Then don't buy your license and save your money for beef, chicken, and a fish from the store. You can purchase (or buy to eat whatever TERM you prefer) and stay out of the public land that us sportsman buy when we purchase our licenses every year. It is people like you that give hunting a bad name. Stick to your bullheaded ways and some day you may see the reasoning.

I agree it is because it sounds better and is P.C. And I tkink justifably so.

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 10-24-2003).]

D'ork

You sound so anti DNR......Maybe you should thank the DNR. There are a lot of good people working out there to protect and preserve what we have left in Minnesota. They are in our corner and they do a lot of good. Without them, we that love the outdoors and enjoy harvesting a deer because there are deer to harvest enjoy having them around. Sure I wouldn't mind getting in there and changing a few things around and dropping some prices but remember all the good that comes from the DNR.

According to Webster's, "harvest"= the product of any labor or action. Maybe PC, but also a very fitting term. I like it.

Call it what you want, shooting, hunting, killing, harvesting, or even getting lucky. This thread is probably going nowhere good, so I'm closing it. If someone wants to start a friendly informative thread on terminology, go for it.