• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer scents

NELS-BELLS

I am hearing reports of bucks starting to leave scrapes. I am hunting Camp Ripley this weekend and I was wondering what brand of scent to buy. There are so many options.
I have already harvested a doe so I have meat in the freezer. For the rest of the season I would like to try and harvest a buck.
Should I use doe estrous? If so, what brand...anybody had any good experiences with a certain brand?

Nels

Nels,

Ripley will be so full of Human smell and activity the last thing a Buck will be doing is working a scrape or chasing Doe scent.

I'd buy a Primos Doe Bleat Can if anything and hope you get some attention right away in the morning.

I'd try to find the gnarlyest hiding spot on the property, set-up by it and wait.

------------------
Chells

Yes, they work if not over-used. I hunt Archery exclusivley so the Deer are in a more relaxed state prior to the Gun season.

They call-in curious Does and especially Bucks looking for love.

I keep mine in my pocket and tip it to make it work--I stopped holding it in my hand a couple of years ago when a Buck came charging in at me and I couldn't get my hand back on the bow without alarming the animal!

------------------
Chells

I really like the "can". I have been using it for 4 years. It really seems to turn deer that are out of range or heading away. it is obviously more efective during the rut when those bucks are out looking for a meaningless overnight relationship smile.gif

for the last couple of years, I have been buying fresh urine from a local deer farmer. I buy it very fresh (less than 24 hours old). I usually pick it up on the Thursday afternoon before the gun season. He is in Cottage Grove. He also has a great web site with some amazing bucks. I can't post a link, but here is the address: orionscents.com. I have had very good luck with this scent since his does are usually in estrous at the time I get it. I feel it's better than buying something off the store shelf and not knowing what's in it.

I use them both. Tend to grab my call before my bow when I see a buck. I use a variable mouth call and have turned many bucks with it. I pulled a 7 pointer one time off of a doe he was chasing. I had to resort to a loud snort to stop them, then I bleated and he walked towards me enough to get a shot.

Pulled a monster 12 in from 250 yards last year 1 week before firearms season. Got him within 40 yards of me but I didn't have a lane in that direction! I'm going back to get him this weekend ;-)

As for scent...Tinks 69 is my favorite. Don't go cheap with scent...cheap scent = low grade swamp water. Put it in film canisters with cotton balls. I won't get started with my buck stories as they pertain to scent!

Hunt4food, Tell me more about your success with this scent from orion,what have you noticed thats different with his product? Do you call and or rattle, anybody have a story about calling and rattling. Let the season begin.