• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are you satisfied with current deer huning in Minnesota?

BLACKJACK

In recent years there has been a push toward Quality Deer Management (QDM), especially in SE Minn. The way I understand the way QDM works is that more does need to be harvested in order to get the herd ratio closer to 50/50 and smaller bucks need to be passed up so they have a chance to grow into a bigger buck. Theoretically the benefit of QDM is that more small bucks will survive to be a bigger buck, but the downside is that by shooting more does, the herd size is reduced and you may not be able to shoot a deer every year.

What do you guys think? Do you like the way the DNR is managing the deer or do some aspects of QDM need to be implemented.

Personally, I think the DNR is doing a good job, deer hunting has never been better. And there ARE big deer out there, just notice all the big buck photos after the hunting season. If a big buck is your goal, you just have to restrain yourself from using your tag on the first small buck that comes along.

I think that QDM differes depending on the level and goals of the manager. One guy with 80 acres who sets antler restrictions, takes does to keep herd balance and manages the habitat (food plots, selective harvest, etc.) is a lot different than the DNR who is trying to manage the entire herd for the state by setting hunting seasons, hunting zones and permit/license quotas.

One thing I strongly believe in: If deer populations exceed the carrying capacity of the land there are going to be long-term problems. I think we've become spoiled by wanting to see deer every hour while on the stand, but only wanting to shoot big trophy bucks.

I've been watching the push towards QDM programs, and although I would like to see something like that happen, I think the state is right in not accepting it at these times, because there just doesn't seem to be enough support. I would support it it it were installed though, I have always been one for shooting does when populations are high and buck to doe ratios are bad(like in my area), and I always pass up the smaller bucks. Last year I had a 4-5 pt. come in with a doe during rifle season, and I'm glad to say he's still out there somewhere. I think MN deer hunting is great.

I am in favor of QDM, and I think they are on the right track. The population is so high in my area that it is almost not even a hunt,you just go to your stand and shoot one. Would almost be boring if it wasn't that there are also more high quality bucks around,10 point plus, than I've seen in 20 years. I always pass on smaller bucks while sitting in my stand, but what makes it hard sometimes is that our property is surrounded by 1000's of state land with mant, many deer passing through our property every eve. and morn. to the only nearby cornfield. To really manage for trophy bucks it would take 100's of hunter probally within 3 miles of our land to all follow some similiar plan of letting smaller racks go. Bieng able to shoot does and save a buck tag for the big one definately help the possibilities of this happening. Hopefully the hunters that got scared away last year due to CWD will be back as the population is getting out of control in many areas, and what are you to do with 5 deer if you dont own a meat locker?

I think everything is fine except the season dates. I don't think it is fair or smart to let every idiot in the state that gun hunts in the woods during the peak of the rut. No wonder Wisconsin has so many more bruisers than we do. I think it is completely idiotic!! I would be interested to hear some feedback from someone who disagrees with me and your justification for this disregard for the growth of mature bucks.

Mayfly, then would you recommend earlier or later seasons? When does Wisconsin start their season? I think one of the concerns on a later season would be bad weather, if its a snowstorm out, not enough people would be in the woods to keep the deer harvest up.

Later for sure..... Enough people will hunt, and if it's a problem they can always do what they are doing this year with the permits. I or anyone in any hunting party that I have been a part of have never skipped an opener or even thought of weather as a deterrent. The only time I have not gone out is in the rain during bow season.
There are smarter deer that will elude hunters as soon as the pressure is felt, but, so many bucks get harvested at a young age that many don't get a chance to mature. I have brought this topic up time and time again and never has anyone disagreed with me. So I wonder.....I'm sure the DNR has thought of this but what is the justifacation of the dates they choose. Is it simply herd management? I just want to see more bruisers out there. Stop shooting button bucks, forks, and four pointers. Shoot a doe. They taste the same.

Mayfly, I hunt in far NE Minn. I rely on natural deer movement to harvest a buck. The later the season opens the less chance I have of bagging that big one. As a result I am going to most likely take any buck I can. I have hunted in knee deep snow several times in my 50 years of hunting, it aint fun. The majority of the logging roads are not plowed in this area of the state, which concentates hunters in years of heavy snows. Your idea may work in the southern 2/3rds of the state but I don't want no part of it here.

I would have to say I like the season the way it is. Lots of deer, with all the extra tags you can shoot a doe for the freezer and still be able to hunt late Oct/early Nov - the best time to be out there bowhunting. You see lots of pictures of big bucks taken in MN, they're out there, if you want a big buck, go hunt him down.

Mayfly I don't agree in respect that moving it later I think we would see numbers of hunters drop enough to lower the harvest. I hunt in a group of 20-22 hunters of all ages and when it's cold now the old timers and the young ones dont go out in the mornings.Moving the season to a lower avrage temp they would only hunt less. And more permits for others? With about 20 hunters the last three years we've been quitting midweek with 27-28 deer, that's all people wanted or have freezer space for. We could have legally shot 100.
I agree with you that there are way to many people out all at same time on opening weekend,there are times it does not feel safe driving to and from our property.hunters around our property love to sit on the dirt roads. Maybe a split season that switched each year, say I draw the opener for this year next year I wait till second firearms week? It would have to be a group signup,just thinkin.

Well it is definetley a debatable topic at least. Either way I love to go Deer hunting. I think alot of my animosity towards the season and guns in general has rooted from becoming a bow hunter. Look at it this way....Just when the big bucks really get moving its time for the gunners to come in. Bow season gets really fun toward the end of October into November. Now don't get me wrong I do gun hunt up north near Nevis, MN. I Bow Hunt near Taylors Falls and the number of gunners in the woods around there is ridiculous. I've also had problem with poachers in the area also. Two weeks before the gun season I ran into a fork with what looked like someone grazed him witrh a bullet. All in all a few problems with some of the area residents. it just hurts to hunt a nice deer for a couple years and never get him in range then November 9th comes and hes running wild and some guy in a tree knocks him off at 200 yds. That is my problem I guess. respect to all deer hunters though. Its a great sport as long as you respect the land, animals and play fair!

Mayfly I hunt just east of Nevis by Badorau,sp?. There is alot of hunters in the area but very few bow hunters,I wish I had more time for bow.

I hunted south of there once. I hunted on a Potlach plot. Saw some really big deer but didn't get a shot off. I don't Bow Hunt up there only in Taylors Falls. I sure am getting excited for the upcoming season...They say it could really be a season to remember!!

Yeah, this year should be great, it will be my 12 year old boy's first time carring firearm. Last year was great our group got three beautiful 10's and I was one in the right spot at the right time on wens. when most had gone home, had passed on a couple spikers but took 2 does on opening weekend.

Mayfly, I know the Taylors Falls area well.Maybe I can give you an idea of some new spots to check out. Where do you hunt now?

I've enjoyed reading this debate....

Overall, I'd have to say I agree completely with mayfly. I've hunted a few states in my 10 years of archery hunting, and I have to say that MN has been the worst for quality of bucks. I've seen a few P&Y caliber bucks, but nothing like when hunting in IL where the gun season is only 2 days and it's shotgun only!

I respect all hunters and feel it's a fantastic sport for all ages. I would just really like to see fewer 4-6 ptrs. get shot. Studies have proven that these deer have the capability of hitting book status....all it takes is time! I would be a huge fan of an either/or gun tag for everyone. This way, hunters do not have to make a special application for a doe permit, which many forget and never complete. And therefore, they go out and shoot the first buck that walks by in order to fill the freezer. With an either/or tag, they could accomplish the same freezer filling with a doe.

Dusty: I hunt along Hwy 16. Not as far north as Wild Mountain but along there north of town. What suggestions might you have?? ([email protected]) E-mail me or post me a reply, I look forward to hearing. Just curious where you hunt also?

B Mac: Thanks for the support. Its just something that i've realized over the years of hunting. Good Luck to all this year! Happy & Safe Hunting

Hey great topic, boy ya could debate this for every could'nt ya? I've enjoyed hunting in NW MN for 22 yrs now and have great success, not so much in trophies but over all harvesting. One thing that has been bothering me lately is the over harvest in my area of small bucks, forks to baskets, and not enough does taken. The last five years of mild winters have given us a pop. explosion of deer. some seasons we can take up to five with intesive harvest permits an management tags. Yea and like mentiond above some groups can legally take 100 deer, crazy. Theres no doubt some heards need to be thined, I'm happy to see there is bucks on the lottery in the NE for the first time in I think 7 yrs thats great. But in areas where road kill almost equeals seasonal harvest, something must be done. Hey I wouldnt mine seeing buy a doe tag and apply for a buck permit in my area, but the controvery over that..... o-boy. One thing that works for one area dosent work for another and not everyone will be happy, but I do know this having worked for the DNR for a short period and getting to know officals they all say this, voice youre opinions, wright letters, form surveys and polls and be heard. How are they supposed to know what areas want if ya dont tell them. Sometimes the answers is no, but dont give up. Also it takes us as an individual to talk our freinds and neigbors about passing on that fork or basket or mabey thin the doe herd for a season or two. I hope everyone has a safe and successfull season to come and hope I did'nt step on to many toes. Later boar