• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wow what a awsome site this is. I have been coming up to this area for about 8 years. Spend most of my time on Island and Moose. With a few side trips to Blackduck, Dora, and Redlake. I was looking for a few other places to hit when I come this year. We always go the week that splits May and June. If you guys have any Ideas I would greatly appreciate it. This is about a 1000 mile drive for us but it has been worth it just about every year.

Welcome to the Forum tyho! Where are you heading here from?

There are so many lakes in the area that are worth giving it a shot, just depends on what type of fish you are looking for. Aside from the lakes you mentioned, Winni, Round, Cut Foot Sioux are just down 46, and there are several lakes off of Hwy 39, with Cass and Andrusia not too far off.

For Walleye &/or Northern in the area (aside from Island, Blackduck, Dora & Moose) you have Big, Clear, Round, Cut Foot Sioux, Cass, Andrusia, Winnibigoshish, and Leech is about 40 minutes from the Blackduck area (and of course the monster pike at Upper Red Lake!). If your looking for panfish Kitchi, North and South Twin, Cut Foot, Gilstad, Pimushe, Rabideau, supposidly Norma & Bass, and of course the slab crappies at Upper Red Lake. Although we're not Bass fishermen, we have caught bass in Gilstad, and they are also in Kitchi, Twins, Bass and Noma and Big Rice.

How was your fishing last year on Moose? We only hit Moose a few times last year with mixed results. Think you need to extend that week's vacation time up here to at LEAST a month grin.gif!

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

We come up from sw on Indianapolis In. The fishing on Moose has always been slow but the size of the wallers have good. Yes I would love to come up for a lot longer I have been thinking of buying a place around there. My kids are about the age they can sit in a boat all day with out crying I'm board. All I really care about is Wallers and Northern we have pretty good pan and Bass down here not that Red lake isn't on the list to fish. Last year we had a blast up there. We have tried Black duck in the past with some success. But not what we do on moose or Island. We like Island for the day light fishing and Moose for the night Fishing. infact we wont even lauch the boat until night fall or just before. How is the water table I have seen alot of posts on the low water there. this makes me nervous at moose Island and Red. If you are located were I think you are when I come to Blaack Duck I may stop and see ya. Do you ever go over to wagner lake. We did realy well there for Northern about 5 years ago but I have not been there since. I dont have a little boat to carry in there anymore. One of our other favorite spots is a trip to little american falls on the big fork for NOrthern. We have pulled a few out of there and it is a nice trip. Buddy of mine we took with us caught a 27lb muskie there. I will have to the DNR web site and look up some the lakes you talked about in your post. Man I cant wait to head up there the last few years we hit the weather just perfect. It warmed up about the middle of May and the bugs came out the a good cold snap would hit right before we get there. Then warm back up again. We always have some rain but nothing we cant handle. I'm just about done with the boat and the gear just sitting in the garage waiting to be loaded up in the truck and head north. Like I said in my orignal post this is a nice web site I look forward to shooting the breeze with you guys and getting the skinny on the fisning before I get there. This will not help things with my wife due to the fact this has always been a guy trip. I think she gets tired of hearing me talk about it. But like I said I think this year I may take a day to look at some property while I'm up there in Gods country and look for a place to buy. Then I will have a good excuse to load up the boat and head north anytime the chance comes up. Well keep up to date on the fishing, weather and water table. May your live well always be full Later

hey tyho,welcome from a fellow Indy guy who loves Minn. We go up to Moose about three times a year for a week to three week stay and really love it. My wife's folks have a real nice place on Moose so that makes it easy, except for the drive up.We usually go up race weekend to put the docks out, open the house etc. and mainly fish fish and fish.You will really like this site, the people on it are so ready to share all the info and really love what they have up there.Hope to see you on the lake.

THe place you are talking about the log cabin. If so that has got to be the best fishing cabin in the world. We are always talking about how that place would be awsome to have. It is perfect. I will be up there the night of the 29th of may through June 7th. Were about in indy do you live. I'm from Mooresville area. When you head up do you go out 74 then up through beliot or through chicago. I prefer 74. Then a few years ago I started to up through Supeior then take 2 over from there.

arrow
Which Place on Moose are you talking about?? If it's the log cabin on the north side... man that a place I can only dream of....... I was there last fall and caught some gators ...no eyes frown.gif
but what I like about Moose.. very little pressure...

going to Northome this weekend might try Moose smile.gif

------------------
Fishspicermn

FMWL

Definity stop in if you head over to Blackduck Lake, it's only about 1.5 miles from us (we're right off 71, city wayside park next to us on one side bar & grocery store on the other and across the street from the gas station/bait shop on your way to the lake). Half of the Drake team grew up in Indiana (started out in northern~Mishawaka, then went to school east of Indianapolis).

Now that the boat is up and running we'll be hitting the open water. Some of our folks have launched the last few days at Blackduck and haven't had any problems. We've got a 16'er so I don't think we'll have any problems on Upper Red launching, just have to take it slow. Had some folks we talked to at Gilstad and they got off without any problems. Haven't heard of Wagner Lake, so may have to look that one up on the DNR site. There's so many lakes around here..we've been here 1 1/2 years and still find some of the smaller secluded lakes when we're out driving around.

Arrow, where on Moose is your family's place? We've got some friends who have a cabin on Moose (not a log cabin that you can see from the lake though).

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

tyho
We live on the northwest side of Indy, and we take 74 to bloomington and then to rockford , beloit etc. to superior duluth. then 2 across to the scenic highway{10}, the road to blackduck and take the dirt road after the scenic store to Moose.Our place is the red house just north of the Farm resort.I'm still trying to figure when I'll be there this spring to open, We're usually there to avoid the race fans in Indy, but we have a graduation this year so we might be a week late.Stay away from going through Chicago it's always a mess. our way is 35 miles longer, but faster with no delays.

Yes I agree with Chicago. We never go through there. If you there from May 29th through June 7th let me know. I'll met you at the bar and buy ya a beer. Man I can't wait we leave in two weeks.