• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This past weekend we managed to hit a couple of lakes and talked to many folks who were able to hit the ice during the long weekend. Blackduck Lake produced a few perch for folks, some weeding of the smaller ones and keeping the ones in the 10" to 12" range. Fishing in the 17' depth range was where they were biting, and jigging producing more fish than a stable line. A couple of the area lakes were also hit and while some lakes were quiet one of them produced 27 crappies for a group of two, and 10 of those crappies measured in at 13.5" as well as a 10.5" sunnie.

Upper Red Lake produced mixed results ranging from just one or two fish to two groups of seven getting their limits. A few got an afternoon bite, but the majority of the fishermen had a bite that started in the 5pm time frame, red glow, green glow and a plain red hook tipped with crappie minnows (and some using wax worms) worked well. As always for the folks away from the crowds did the best and the warmer temps this past weekend allowed folks to move around and find the fish.

Winnibigoshish was also a good producer of jumbo perch this past weekend, with perch coming through in the 13" size. The perch are out in the 31' to 35' depths and biting well on the smaller bait. The fish were finicky, with some clusters of perch not taking the bait, but moving to the next cluster of fish worked. The walleye bite had slowed down but the northerns were active.

Who else hit the lakes this weekend?

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Tuesday the wind blowing so strong caused near white out conditions on Upper Red so our folks didn't hit the ice. But today was really nice out and the fishing was very good. Had some folks who hit Blackduck and got into a perch bite that produced perch in the 11"-12" size.

Half of team Drake was able to hit Upper Red with a couple of our guests and had a great time, not a limit but caught eight nice ones. First fish a little after 3 then slow until right before dusk. The rest of the folks here did well..2 guys got 8, 3 got 30, 3 got limits. For the most part the bitetime was between 5 and 8:30, fish are finicky and one group not having luck with minnows but did very well with wax worms.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Who are these leech and kettle guys going back and forth??? 😉
    • leech~~
      Well just for the Halibut, you could try salmon or Cod! 😆
    • Kettle
      I've heard it you nail them to a board, smoke them, throw away the fish then eat the board they can be good?
    • Kettle
      Alaska lacks the population of walleye that I need to survive 
    • Mike89
      carp can be fun to catch!!
    • leech~~
      What's wrong with drift fishing if you have some wind? I do it all the time with good results. 👍
    • smurfy
      In my opinion not one that big. Smaller ones if done right are good. But I've had 1 to many bad ones too ever get near a smoked carp again 
    • BobT
      I was out alone on Big Sauk Lake on Thursday morning. I brought some leeches and nightcrawlers in search of walleye. I was marking a lot of fish in the 20' - 25' depth range. Some decent sized arches suspended about 10' - 15' down, which I suspected were likely northern pike, and some nice arches near the bottom, which I hoped were walleye. I couldn't seem to connect with any of them and for a while I decided to try shallower to see if there was anything more willing to take.    I moved into about 15' depth and found perch. I could tell they were perch by the way they were nibbling off my bait. At one point they ate everything off my jig up to the hook and l was left with what was on my hook. So, I dropped that over the side and decided to to just let it sit on the bottom to see what happens.   I made myself comfortable and laid my rod across my lap with my hands crossed over it. Yup, I dozed off and in a short time I was awakened when my fishing rod was almost pulled out of my hands! I grabbed my fishing rod and began to fight the fight of a lifetime with a fish! Now, I've caught a few 36" - 40" northern pike and some 25" - 31" walleye and a few 22" - 23" smallmouth on my walleye rigs but never had I experienced a battle like that. I was getting concerned that I would run out of line on my reel a couple times. With my 6# test line it took me about 10 minutes to tire the fish out enough to get it into my landing net. It turned out to be a common carp but what a fun fish to catch! I've never caught one of these before. Lifting it up I estimated it was somewhere between 12 and 15 lbs. I didn't find any regulations about destroying them and learned they are not invasive so I released it.    Are they good smoked?     
    • imhatz
      Hello Gents, heading up Aug 26. I see that fishing has been good on Crane. We are staying on Sand Point. Top water hot for smallies now ? We target pike and throw everything else back. Been going there since 1981. Any updates appreciated would like a crappie for a replica. Any ideas ?  Thanks tight lines, mark
    • Wanderer
      @JerkinLips drag a driftsock to slow your troll with your 35.  It helps.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.