• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I always enjoy reading your forums page, but have noticed all your guides and other posters talk only about live bait for your walleye fishing. I;m a regular three times a year visitor to the Black Duck area lakes and only use a variety of crankbaits with great success.Am I in a minority, or do others use them as well?

Hey Arrow. Welcome to the Forum. No your not the minority in using crankbaits. I use them a little more in later July when the fishing slows down. I also have had real good luck using cranks about one month ago too. Its a fun way to fish.
Good luck.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

I've used planer boards in the past, with some success, but I prefer going deep with long lines. I love sneaking up on points in the very early mornings and long casting before the eyes spook.We have a home on Moose and really love the lake. I'll pass on my report to Rob at the northlander or stop at the retaurant

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from three weeks at the Moose and had a ball. We fished Moose, Pimush, Gilstead, and Cass, and had good luck on all of them. The Walleye on Cass really loved the firetiger ShadrapRS,even in the middle of the day.We caught plenty of Crappie on Pimush. Gilstead, and Moose.We got some good eyes at Moose early mornings casting the points.The wife beat me on Bass, my biggest was 6-2 and hers was 6-8. Next time I'll go alone{lol}.Here at home it was 96deg, it's enough to hitch the boat back on and go back.

Hey Arrow, sounds like you had a great time, you definitely picked good lakes to hit. Almost always get good reports from Pimushe and Gilstad has always produced well for us (great lake to take the kids on as they get enough action to keep them busy!)

Reading your post on Moose is making us want to get back out there again! Moose has such a variety of fish in it..something for everyone, and the sizes can be pretty impressive. Were you able to get out there for the evening walleye bite, and if so was that just as successful as the am bite?

Your gonna love this...our temps today were almost at 70 degrees...got the boat hitched yet? smile.gif

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

Hey Arrow, Glad you had good luck. Did you catch any big eyes on Moose? There is some real big eyes in there. Hopefully you caught a big one. They make nice pictures.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Drake,the boat is hitched but it will be a month before I can get back.I've never been able to fish the area in Sept, so I don't have a clue how the fishing is up there.Does it slow down or are the fish stocking up for winter?
We fished the shallow water on Moose several times after 11 and midnight using Rapala long casts in 6' to 8' of water near the public landing and did well on 18" to 22" eyes. We trolled with real long lines though which can be tough at night, but woth it.I love that deep hole just to the south of the landing.Don't catch em all.

Kupcho, you're right, Moose does have some big eyes in it, and when there on they're really on. We caught quite a few fish in the 2lb. to 3lb. range, and landed 6 fish over 5 lbs, and a seven pounder, and put em back in for the mother lode.The 2 and 3s tasted great though.What a great 2 and a half weeks.We even took in the turtle races in longville.We'll be back soon.

Hey arrow, September fishing up there is usually a lot better than august. The fish are usually really aggressive in september. And October is usually better than all of the above. Not only for walleyes but for some big northerns too.
Good luck, Talk to you later.

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service

Hey Arrow, Kupcho's hit it right on, the fishing will pick up and really kick in as the cooler temps come in. The end of July and the first of August on Blackduck is historically slower (they're still out there but you will have to work for em'..some work huh!), but as the cooler temps come in the fish start getting more aggressive with late August kicking it in, then on into September and October. Some of the other lakes do better during the summer months than they did in the spring (as you found out on Moose)and other lakes up here seem like they continually produce, like Gilstad, Twin, etc, so you will be in for some good fishing when you come back this way.

Just gotta tell ya...our temps right now are 80 degrees, no humidity and great out..hope your keeping cool grin.gif

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]