• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New 20 gauge bird Gun???

Johnsonator

I am in the market this year for a new pheasant/grouse gun. I definatly want a 20 gauge but don't want to spend over $600 for a gun that will take a beating. I really want an o/u but dont want to spend an arm and a leg. I really like the bps, the 870 wingmaster, and the traditions o/u that is at walmart. Anybody have any suggestions, I would buy the traditions at walmart but I would hate to buy a gun at walmart and I am a little concerned about quality. Thanks

You could buy a nice 20 gauge auto within the $600 range. I think Remington makes a nice lightweight one in the black synthetic.

Anybody have any expirience with a pump 20 gauge, I really like the bps, and the 1300 upland looks nice also.

My daughter just received a BPS Micro in 20 gauge for birthday. The gun is a really nice little package - fit and finish are typical Browning - gold trigger, gold inlay on the logo.

She fired a box of shells through it on Sunday, and it functioned just fine. She even got a couple of clay pigeons! The gun was comfortable to mount and swing, and I actually liked the shorter barrel.

My son has the youth model 870 in 20 gauge, and it is more of a "workhorse" gun, nothing fancy, just load it up and blast away. I shot a box at clay pigeons, and didn't miss a one. Better than my 12 gauge! Like the Browning, the shorter barrel is different, but comfortable.

I've got a Stoeger SxS in 20 (the Uplander model) and I really enjoy using it on pheasants and partridge. I can beat the living tar out of that gun and not care - its a field-grade beater.

If you shop around a bit, you may be able to find a used Richland Arms SxS in 20 gauge. Those are sweet little guns, made by Zarbala in Spain. Trim little units that literally jump to your shoulder, but due to the price you don't cry when a scratch appears.

Bought a BPS 20 gauge a couple years ago and now it is the only shotgun I shoot. Ducks, pheasants, grouse, doves, it does it all. I got the 3" chamber field model w/ the straight stock and love it. Have an 870, and A-5 that haven't been touched since I got it. Get the BPS it has never let me down.

I have a 20 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster. It is a nice gun. Light, short. I also have a 12 gauge. They have never let me down.

For that price anything with more than one barrel is kinda out of the picture, but i tell you what, a few years back my dad bought me a Remington 1100 LT-20 of auctionarms.com for 335 bucks(used), came to about 380 with shipping and other stuff i think. only bad thing is you need to have it sent to a gun dealer and pick it up from them, but thats not that much of a hassel. I have shot my neighbors 870 remington 20ga and liked it except for the short barrel. But if you want it for duck or deer hutning the shorter barrle might be what you are looking for.

H & H Sport Shop in Maple Lake has nice variety of Baikal O/U. They low in cost and have a good warrenty.

Check out the BPS Upland Special (short barrel, English stock). I love mine. It's perfect for grouse.

Bronco Kid, please post your email address, I beleive you are with H&H and I have a qustion for you.

Thanks!

Thanks for your replys guys. I found a used 1100 20g that I am going to look at tonight. If I don't buy that I am really leaning towards a new bps with a 26" barrel, feels really good.

I've been using an 1100 20ga for 12 years. Love it. Last year the firing pin spring broke but easy to get fixed. Can't go wrong with an 870 either.

Thanks for the help guys I bought a very nice used bps with the 26" barrel last night, that thing pulls up sweet and I love that tang saftey. Bring on the season now.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.