• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog training collar

ChuckN

It's been a while since I trained a dog. What ever happen to a good old whistle and hand signals? I found that a dog responds much better to positive reinforcement and CONSISTANCY during training.

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-08-2004).]

Tvboy- I must have missed in Chucks posts where he asked for training advice. He asked for a collar, if you have one great. If not please keep your comments about his training practices to yourself.

Chuck- I can usually get some pretty good deals on new collars. Tri Tronics, Innotek and Dogtra. Personally I like the Dogtra the best, five years and never been in the shop. Take a peek at the websites then decide which collar might be right for you and let me know. I will check on the price and get back to you.

[email protected]

I just bought a new TriTronics Sport 60 for my dog and found that they are pretty much the same price at your typical outdoor retail store as anyplace that I could find on the web. Of course, that's if you decide to buy new.........

Thanks setterguy. Unfortunately I can't afford the new prices. Just looking for one that someone doesn't have a use for...say under $150 or so.

I know how to use these TV boy. I decided I need another for my 2nd lab.

Sorry, Chuck. No offense intended. I am new to the site and was just curious if people still use "old school" training or if the collars are indeed better. I would guess they are since so many people use them.

I digress, another topic perhaps?

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 01-08-2004).]

Chuck- I can get you a Dogtra 200 NC. Which has a 300 yard range with Nick and Constant stimuli for 160.00. Or one that goes up to 1/2 mile for 200.00.

[This message has been edited by setterguy (edited 01-08-2004).]

ChuckN, I have a Tri tonics sport 50 I would sell cheap. I don't use it anymore. 2 new batteries included. I had a Lab trained by a professional trainer, when I got her back she was a basket case. We had to put her on tranquilizers for a month after. This fall when I trained my Llewellin setter pup I did it collar free.

Scotty

Not quite sure why TV Boy got slammed so hard by setterguy concerning his opinion regarding e-collars. I thought this was supposed to be a open, fair, friendly and informative forum. I have read many topics in the past where replies have wandered just a bit past dead center of the original post question. What is FM's official site policy regarding the reprimand of members by moderators who feel the member's reply does not match 100% with either the moderators opinion or that of the original question posted. Thanks!

Willie- You should understand that this isn't the first time that someone has posted a questioin about collars and someone chimed in with thier "opinion" about thier use. Then it turns into a battle about the use of collars in general and Chucks question gets lost in the shuffle. If Tv boy or anyone else does want to start a new thread about the use of collars feel free. This site and board will work a lot better if people can have thier questions about a specific topic answered without someones personal thoughts on whether its right or wrong. I didn't mean to come down on anybody, just trying to keep things sailing smoothly.

Setterguy I've read allot of your posts and have noticed you have allot of knowledge, I have also learned a few things from the several topics you have discussed. But when your rude and inconsiderate of a new f'mer it stands out like a sore thumb. You say you didn't mean to come down on tv boy, you were just trying to make this site run more smoothly, then maybe you should do your job and you should of moved Chuck's post to the items wanted forum where it belongs. Oh I didn't mean to come down on you either, I am just trying to make this site run more smoothly. In the future please try and remember how you would feel if you got jumped on when you were new to fm. "Would you still be visiting this site"

Try the collar clinic.web page. You can get repaired collars for less than the new ones and they do last. I went with a new Dogtra. I like it but now I am getting a new pup so I might have to get another one. I hope the off season training wil pay off so I can take it off of one and use it on another.

Spinach - I explained my enentions, I am truely sorry that it came across that way. Its impossible to decifer tone in type so again I apologize to Tv - boy for coming down on him. That was not my intent. Chuck has earned his pro staff title and as far as I'm concerned can post what ever wherever he wants it. Check out his post in Items wanted, not one reply. I do stand by my posistion that if you have something relevant to add to someones question then by all means post it. If not, start your own topic and banter about the use of collars all day long. When we start posting off topic, ecspecially on a topic that some people feel strongly about (like the use of collars) the thread turns into a debate about the use of collars and Chucks question gets lost in the shuffle. Tv boy being new has probably never seen it happen but if you have been around you know just what I'm talking about. If we keep our responses on topic, more people will get thier questions answered and more people will use this site, agian I apologize for how it came across.

PS- see how we are talking about something other than Chucks question? wink.gif

------------------
Keep the tip up, ask permission and shoot straight. Setterguy

Setterguy and Spinach - bravo, great, well done and enough said! You both have hit the nail right on the head. Setterguy you do a great job...I have learned a great deal from your insightful comments the past few months. I look forward to many more informative and educational days ahead. I have found this particular forum to be the most informative and educational of all the FM forums. Let's all keep it that way. Free exchange of ideas and common experiences by as many people as possible in a considerate and welcoming environment is the key to becoming better gun dog owners and ultimately a better class of people!

All this from a simple request for a dog collar.

It must be winter, and none of us have anything better to do. smile.gif

I posted in this forum and Items wanted forum. I believe I first posted in Items Wanted, and figured I probably wouldn't get a response, and I did not. I went here knowing I probably shouldn't, but this is where the dog pros hang out.

I did get offers here as this is the place I need to look. Thanks to all who responded and I believe I found what I was looking for!

Setterguy is right and I didn't get the impression that he was rude. This is the internet, we can't tell moods and tones here. So, no hard feelings guys. I'm glad we didn't sway way off the topic too far.

Setterguy I also agree with you about posting off topic etc... I also respect you even more for apoligizing to tv boy for coming off disrespectful, rude and inconsiderate. My only disagreement was no matter how you intended your original statement towards tv boy, it definitely was not a good first impression of what this site really is. If you would of simply replied "please stick to the original question" or something similar, we wouldn't have as many problems in the future. Thankyou, Spinach grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif