• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pheasant Dreams Game Farm(Elk River)

Muskieguy

Anybody heard of this place? Going to this place Saturday 11/22 to try this pheasant hunting out. I grouse hunt and deer hunt, and figured why not Pheasant Hunt. Any tips for someone going to a game farm? Is it best to drop the money on a guide and dog? My golden is gun shy. I head some places dizzy the birds and place them strategicly in certain areas?? If so, would a dog be necessary??

Any advice would be appreciated...

Muskieguy...

I have been to Pheasant Dreams a few times, nice place!

If I was you I would definately find a dog!
But I dont know if I would spend the money on a guide at a pheasant farm, because you know the birds are there.

But when I have been there the birds ran all over they didnt say in place you had to hunt them!

If this is your first time, here are A few pointers.

If you find a dog dont shoot any birds on the ground, make sure they are in the air!

Let them get a little ways away or you will tare them apart.

If they get up aways away make sure you lead them a little them buggers can really move!

Good Luck Hunting

Unless training, what's the attraction to a "canned hunt" ? I have used game farms for training or filming dog work, they do have some benefits. But to call it a hunt would be wrong, more like a shoot or a find.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-21-2003).]

Not be a hunt?? Its a garintee hunt! You are still chaseing prey killing/chasing animals.

Can it be luck, I will have to go to the game farm with you!!! If you only have to stand around and shoot...
I have always had to hunt them.

(HUNT) to chase prey

Where else that close to the cities can you find hunting grounds with a garintee of seeing birds?

The pheasant farm seems to me to be the perfict choice for the first time out!

Go get'em

[This message has been edited by Brian Sander (edited 11-21-2003).]

I guess you answered that with your use of the word...guarantee. In a "real" hunt, there are NO guarantees. smile.gif It's picking up what YOU put down, maybe a few scratch birds as well. Find some money on the ground and you're excited...unless you put it there. That is my point. No way did I say it's easier. Without a dog I would've never even seen a bird, so it's not easy. At times you have to kick the birds or throw them up manually. I sure like that! It reminds me of the real thing.....guaranteed. grin.gif I suppose shooting gauranteed deer on a game farm is a very sporting hunt also. I just wanted to know what the attraction was. Game farms as I SAID, have some benefits. smile.gif
------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-21-2003).]

whoa, fellas...I didn't mean to start a huge debate here. I am a first time pheasant hunter as are a couple other guys that are going with me. I wanted to expose myself and my friends to pheasant hunting and try to get a feel for it so we can go out on our own next time. Kinda like getting a fishing guide first time out on a lake. Would I rather hunt outside of the game farm, sure, but as a first timer I want to watch the dog work and get pointers from the guide, so I have a little more confidence when I do go to public land. We did decide to get a guide/dog for the reasons I stated before, get tips and some experience before I do the real thing. Thanks for the pointers, hopefully we will all have fun..which is the main purpose.

Muskieguy.
"Good Shooters are Envied, Save Shooters are Trusted"

CIBL, is there really game farms with deer???

Any with big bucks??? smile.gif Im in LOL

I want a fenced in area with a 30 pointer running around!! smile.gif

You call it easy and I will call it sausage!

P.S. You are correct there are no garantees in hunting, But its a perfict place to start /learn.

Brian, actually the game farm which I used for pheasant and chucker had deer as well. A couple of huge bucks as well as other respectable deer. The price was also huge, rangeing upwards to $6ooo! Can you believe that? I'd love to shoot one of the many bucks I seen......not under those circumstances though. smile.gif Tuesday, 5 day pheasant hunt in N. Dak., Can't wait!!

------------------

I was in ND the first week out of staters could hunt wohoho you are going to have a blast!

I tried to post pics but was not able, there are birds everywhere you will have a great time.

Actully its kind of like going to a game farm LOL smile.gifA HUGE Game Farm (JK)

Good Luck

Ill try again
fa891290.jpg

fa891294.jpg

Brian, I was checking out your pics on your Geocites address. It looks like you got into the pheasant really well! On posting pics...I just figured it out not long ago. This may sound goofy, but I'll try. What I do is, have both Image station and FM address's showing on your tool bar. I ready my draft which I wish to add my pic. On my draft I put %7Boption%7D I then go to Image Station and bring up my pics. I right click on the pic to show properties. Then highlight the address. Right click to copy, then drag it down to the FM address. Your FM draft will appear on the screen. Drag and let go of your clicker when you're between the img brackets. Then left click and it'll say paste, left click and the image address will appear. It sounds confuseing, but once you do it, it'll seem very easy.

------------------

A gamefarm bird will sit tight unless it's stepped-on or flushed by a Dog.

If they have been on the ground a while after their "planting", they re-gain their senses and usually start walking around.

If you don't use a Dog, then I'd have the guys place markers at each spot a bird has been set, this way you at least have a point of reference to start at.

------------------
Chells