• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pheasant Field Reports

Scott Steil

The last thread got hijacked. Lets keep this one to pheasant reports. It is interesting hearing how everyone is doing.

Still tons of birds around our area. Today I noticed a lot of farmers in the field, including my field. This should help a bunch! I heard a really good report this week from Appleton, hunting all public land.

My Dad, Brother and Brother in law got out this weekend while I was chasing walleyes on the Big Pond. They saw a lot of birds before shooting hours started. These birds were all heading into standing corn and it sounded like there was a lot of it. As the corn comes down, there should be some great hunting to be had.
Good luck and be safe to all!

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Scott,
I think you and I are stompin' some of the same ground in western stearns...good areas too!! This weather really dried up the one slough that I have hunted for the past 10 years. Last year it was full of water.... and the hunting was poor frown.gif This year it's been good and should be great late season grin.gif
Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Serving Central MN rivers & lakes

I was out west of Marshall this weekend, lets just say birds, birds and more birds. Should have come home with a limit but the shooting was just a bit rusty. My GSP was a bit upset with me as I missed on an occasion or two. I still came home with 3. The group there ended up with 15 total. I can't waite untill the corn is out.

Was out in cottonwood county on Monday. Saw three birds. One running down the highway and the other two my dog flushed, but the bonehead move of leaving the safety on cost me at least one bird as another got up as the one I missed flew by out of range. Alot of corn still out in the fields but coming down fast as I saw alot of farmers hard at work with the combines.

Went out to Stevens County for the opener. Have lots of private family owned land to hunt out there. Lots of birds. My first shot of the season brought down a beautiful year old rooster.

Can't wait until the corn comes out.

"but the bonehead move of leaving the safety on "

I hope you always hunt with the safety on! very dangerous!! what happens if you trip and fall, Man!!

being safe is much more important than bagging game!!!

Have a good "zinc" season!!!

I hit 2 WMAs in scott county this morning and saw 2 roosters but got 0 shots. Just like every one else has said, next week all or most of the corn should be gone then things will get interesting.

Hunted half of Friday west of Madison and the birds are a lot spookier than they were last weekend. I missed the first bird of the day and that was my only shot. A lot of birds were busting out 50-100 yards ahead. Scenting is terrible for the dogs. Saw probably half as many birds I did last weekend hunting all public land.

We hunted the opener in that nasty windy rain and limited out! The birds didn't want to get up and the rain washed away old scent. When the dogs got birdy, there was no doubt they were on fresh scent. The birds jumped close and stayed low. We had to wait on a couple of birds to get out to shooting range. It was a great day!!

I spent 3 days this week out pheasant hunting. First day I took my 9 year old daughter, got out of the truck not more than 75 yards into the field dog locks on 4 hens sitting in a 3 yard circle. the kid(and me) got a big thrill out of that.We go another 10 minutes dog locks and down goes rooster #1,as I am putting it in game bag he locks again 15 feet from where we are standing,I flush down goes rooster #2.My daughter was bummed it was over so quick and I guess I was to.It was only 9:20.

I learned it is not getting a limit for me but bieng out there with the dog and friends/family. 20 minutes was to fast to get back in the truck for a 2.5 hour drive home.

I went back fri. eve and again I was done in about 40 minutes. Satuday mornin it took about 2 hours to find2 roosters when I did find the second 4 flushed together.Way cool!! I am trying to weed out the young birds and only shoot for long tails, but that is really hard, seems like sometimes all I see is that white collar. I did get 1 youngster this week. I never thought I would wish it would take a little longer, but I cant just watch them fly.I am thankful for the birds that are out there this year!

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 10-19-2003).]

Very dry around here, the bird dog is having a tough time following. Any truth to wetting the dogs nose helps them follow scent. Of course the dog was in every water hole trying to keep cool, man was it hot.

Went back to SD for their opener and couldn't beleave the number of birds. If you could find a slough next to a picked corn field you found birds, and LOTS of them! I'm underexagerating saying I saw 500 birds this weekend. Anyone else hunt SD opener?

Capt'n

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I hunted the grove city area on Saturday morning, saw alot of hens and two roosters. My german shorthair managed to hold one rooster for a easy shot the other flushed wild. The corn is starting to really come out in this area, hunting should only get better.

sparetime,
yes it's true. take some water in the feild with you. just keep her/him well watered and the nose will keep moist. makes a huge difference!!!!

Welcome aboard Tritt22. If you are who I think you are you should have a lot to add to these hunting forums. Check out all the dog questions you could help out with.

Went out to NW ND this past weekend for roosters. The area we hunted typically doesn't hold much for pheasants - more sharpies instead. This weekend we hit both.

Friday: Saw 120-150 sharptail, all very spooky and flew early and went 90 mph, but managed to take 2 - only saw a total of 4 pheasants on Friday, all of which were along the road. Dog also pointed 2 skunks but never got sprayed (Thank you Lord!).

Saturday: inverse of Friday, and only 5 miles down the road. Should've been limited out by 10:30, but I couldn't hit a dang thing for some reason. We did get 5 roosters - saw well over 100 pheasants, 20-30 sharptail, and about 60-70 Huns.

My GSP also locked up on point next to a dead tree in the grass by an old farmhouse. I moved in thinking the bird was gonna bust any second, but he never did. I kicked the tree a couple times and out he came - a huge orange tomcat! Sadie nailed him and pinned him to the ground, then shook him by the neck a few times - I thought she was gonna kill him til I called her off and he bolted for the CRP. I laughed for an hour after that! smile.gif Hah!

I was out in SODAK over the weekend as well. Our group of 12 had 33 in about two hours. Number of birds was unbelievable.

Hunted this morning for 2 hours on public land down by belle plaine, I saw 4 roosters, Most of the corn is out in the area it seemed the biggest field still left is the one next to the public land so all the birds flew over there, not a bad 2 hours though.
adam

Anyone hunt the Windom area? I am just wondering if there are many birds there. I live in SE Minnesota and theres a bird or two around here but not alot so I was wondering about other areas to go to. Thanks for any help.

enjoyed hunting this morning with Rick (wcmnwalleye),and his golden retriever (man what a dog, hope mine turns out the same).

I got one and he got two, we both missed a couple, but i missed the easiest shot, HEH, oh well, we all have them days,( except for maybe tom knapp).

saw lots of hens and lots of young roosters, i couldn't even tell the difference between them and the hens, lucky Rick knows what he's doing, heh, heh.

look forward to going again.
Its a beautiful site , seeing birds in my home state, (MN)

I'm a new pheasant hunter. N.W. area, Mpls. to St. Cloud. Any tips spots or other advice? I have a lab that has some ability. Help?

Fish face, I too am a relatively new pheasant hunter, and am planning on hitting some wma's this week or weekend if you wanna hit the fields with me. Probably be hunting scott county or maybe up to carlos. Also have a dog, works the brush great, but not much of a nose yet.

tomahawk- i havent hunted there but i would guess that the windom area would be great. Saw an insane amount of birds near another southwestern town this past weekend. Where we were, the best spots were groves, tree/bush/fence lines, and of course grassy ditches. Even shot one off of a black dirt field on the way to a fenceline!

I hunted the Palisade/ Hill City area this weekend for grouse and ducks, but the only bird I ended up with was a Pheasant!
I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
What is the furthest North anyone has gotten a pheasant?

I am getting pumped for next weekend in SD.

Good luck Hunting.

NELS, the last two years the pheasant populations up North have been growing. They used to be rare, now they are common. The area around Clarissa has tons of birds, even up to Park Rapids. We see a lot at our cabin South of Park Rapids.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com