• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good job fellas

duckbuster

I would like to give a big SHOUT out to the 2 fathers who instilled some great hunting etiquette in there 2 young sons this weekend.

Letting the boys drive the ATV down the trail a walker is hunting. As they come up to the hunter, the boys, with there fathers on the back of the ATV's sloowly go around the hunter. Do they put any separation between them? NO. Slooowly they creep away from the hunter. Then at the 50 yard mark or so from the hunter the boy in the 1st ATV gets off and shoots a grouse. Basically right in front of the hunter.

To add insult to injury the father on the back of the 2nd ATV looks back at me as they ride away as to stay " we just rubbed your nose in that". Nice, really nice!!!

Like I stated in the ATV thread I could careless if you hunt with an ATV, I just ask that you have some manners. WWJD

GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING

Thats typical. They need more restrictions on them things. Seems from what I see everyday it's inconsiderate people who hunt from them..

Wow. Thats brutal. I just read last weeks copy of Outdoors Weekly and on the Youth Waterfowl Hunt a CO found a kid out hunting by himself and had to go tell the parents the purpose for the day. Another report had a guy hunting deer, he shot a bear. Stupid people, with guns.

Well, lets see ,some years back when I was in High school I used to run a trap line that was maybe 20 miles or so long.
Then one day this profesional trapper decided the area was his and his along to trap.
I found almost every one of my number 2 's pulled out and left on the shore for every one to see.

I waited around for a couple of days , following the tire tracks to see where this protrapper was going.He used every single pond,culvert,and run way I had been using.

When I finially caught up with him and asked why he took my traps out to put his in place of them.His responce was this"I do this for a living, your just a punk kid. You don't need the income to survive."

So lets put more restrictions on the trappers, charge them a fee to use public waterways,charge them twice the amount to trap, ban thier inhumane leg hold traps.Make them walk 20 yards or more from their truck before setting or checking a set.

Just because one bad apple miffed you off, doesn't mean every one else should pay for it.

I travel all over this state to hunt,fish,scout new areas, and to just soak in the sights.This includes many miles both walked and traveled on an ATV.
I have never seen any ATV or vehical hunter shoot a bird out from under me or my friends.
I see very few walking hunters even, maybe two or three for a whole weekend at Nimaji State Forest,one up by Grand Rapids, and two down by Moose Lake area.

I saw mainly people driving around in trucks, or on an ATV.And not one did any thing illegal while I was around, I even made it a point to check for uncased shot guns.I carry my cell phone everywhere, and would have turned the first one I saw in to the CO.

Now if what you state is true, then maybe you should start calling the CO's and turn them in.
Riding two up on an ATV is illegal in Minnesota, you could have pinched them for it if you would call it in.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 09-29-2003).]

Benny this has nothing to do with legal or illegal. You keep on stating " if they are illegal call the CO on your cell phone" If you are as far back in the woods as you claim there is 99% of the time NO cell signal.
There have been numerous times that I have passed a road hunter while traveling to the next trail. They are nice enough to let me pass. Once around them and still within sight I have come across a bird in the road. We will point the bird out to the road hunter and speed up so he can take the bird.

Did the ATV have the right to shoot that bird in front of me? You bet they did, every right in the world!!! Was it the right thing to do? In my opinion NO!!!! You have just passed some one, is it to much to ask for some etiquette, Geez.

How about this Benny, The next time an ATV comes up behind me putting along I will just continue to walk down the middle of the trail. If they want to go around me they will have to go into the woods to do so. Nothing Illegal about that just flat out rude on my part.
Its all about thinking of other people rather than yourself all the time. Nothing about being legal or not.

GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING

Duckbuster,
I am sorry to hear what happened to you. Being that I started the ATV thread last week I think what happened to you was terrible. Obviously, someone never taught that child or father and ettiquite. I have never seen that or would do that to somebody. I know what happened to is not what normally happens. There are people out there who don't have a clue what they are doing is wrong not from a law stand point but wrong from how good hunting practices should be.

Don't worry about it to much. Not much you can do but take comfort in the fact that what comes around goes around. These people have to live with their miserable outlook on life everyday. Your best way to get even is to be happy and keep having fun. They aren't.
It's all they can do to carry that chip around.

[This message has been edited by Suzuki (edited 09-29-2003).]

I really shouldn't get carried away by Benny. I have lost hundreds of dollars in traps from ATV riders, or they ride right over them. I dont hate ATV'S I use one. In a respectable way. Just seems there are more idiots on these things than should be.

And yes Dave, I am in the field almost everyday. I can walk out my back door into the Superior Natl. Forest. And I do make quite a bit of my winter income from trapping alone. I could post numbers of animals caught that would stagger most folks minds.Don't know what you think there are for jobs up here. And if I am trapping I have to be in the field everyday.

All I want to point out is get off your butt and walk. Whats so hard about that. Gets some fresh clean air, and exercise. Oh and beleive me there's plenty of walking hunters up here. And there's a few who have had run ins with atv riders. In all the years since people started hunting from them I dont think one has not been rude, or the get out off my way attitude. I can live with inconsiderate people, but lets show some respect some of the time.

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 09-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Brian Sander (edited 09-29-2003).]

Sorry Duckbuster, my post was not intended to up set you.
I would have to agree that the people on those ATV at that time didn't show any respect for you at all.Even if it was legal for them to shoot the bird, they were still breaking a law to even get there in the first place.

When ever I come up to a walking hunter I always stop a few feet away and establish a conversation with them.I try to help them find more birds if I know a nice spot in the area to walk through.If they are up set that I am on the ATV and not walking , I will try to show them that it is just my means of transpertation.I to walk the woods, I just use the ATV to get further back into the area so I can have my own little woods to walk through, and not stumble over the other guy who I just passed.

If I don't have the time to stop, I always slow to a crawl so not to dust the walker off the trail.
I do practice what I preach, the furthest thing from my mind while out in the woods is spoiling some ones hunt.

The one thing a few people on these forums fail to see, is there are bad apples in all walks of life.Even those who tote dad's old Ithica side by side and have the attitude they own all the forest have their bad apples as well.

As for the comparison to trapping, it was intended to show just that, there are bad apples who trap as well.Just because that guy traps for a living didn't give him any right to take up my traps.Heck, I was still wet behind the ears and would have helped him run his line if he would have just showed me how to set better setups.
I didn't care about the money all that much, I only traped MuskRats which fetched about $6.00 a pelt back then.

Benny

Very well said benny. In anything that you do you will always have the people that are going to do things that you don't feel are right. The point is to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Sure, it wasn't right that they shot the bird right in front of you, but you can get all worked up about it or you can go about your day and make the best of it.