• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse reports

Labby

Well lets hear em. Anyone getting any birds? It is gonna be a couple of weeks before I get up to hunt. ( Fall weddings out to be illegal) Thinking about the millacs WMA area or somewhere around there. If anyone has any news please share. Not looking for specific spots just wondering if there are any birds to be found.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingkidfisher4431

• protrapper

• Fisher Dave

• Dano2

First off I am not going to name spots. So here's my report.

Saturday very wet in morning. Slept in. went out at 8:30 a.m. had bird number 1 by 9:30 a.m. It was still wet. Had to help neighbor with block job so went in at noon.

Went back out at 3:00 p.m. Things where finally dried out. Shot bird number 2 at about 3:15. Missed bird number 3 five minutes later. Shot bird number 3 at 6:00 p.m.

Sunday got out for two hours dog put bird up in tree but leaves where to thick to see witch tree in went into. Finally it flushed out and I missed three times.

All in all it was and ok openor. Reports in my area are a bird a guy for full day of hunting. I'll give it a try in evening tomorrow again. Still preety thick yet, we need hard frost.

Most of the grouse where in thick pencil popple. They had berries and clover in there crops. And they where young of the year birds. Witch means the dispersal is underway. With the loss of the leaves we should see more birds soon. I had been seeing alot of birds the last few weeks.

One more comment. Please don't drive your pick-up or 4 wheeler past a walking hunter. It's rude and inconsiderate. Turn around and go the other way. I had a guy dam near run my dog over with his 4 wheeler so he could get around me and then putz his way down the trail.

Didn't run into any this year. For that matter, didn't hear any drumming either.

Protrapper,
Just curious; there could be dozens of reasons why the chicken must cross the road but why would the ATV'er need to turn around?

Not much going on Saturday, only flushed two but never had a shot. Sunday we ended up getting two but had to work very hard for them.

North Central Minnesota. Hunted HARD Sat with a good dog. Went high went low in pencil stuff, Alder stuff, berry stuff old growth, barely growth. didn't see a thing until I was walking out to my bow stand in the evening and jumped one on the trail - go figure. Sunday same thing didn't hunt quite as hard but walking back up the road to the truck jumped one out of the slag piles on the side of the trails. They seem to be on the trails/roadsides. Will hit it again duck opener.

LOTS of leaves and cover.....but, I think my yellow lab finally figured out what she's supposed to do when we're hunting. Walked for over an hour Saturday morning before we saw a bird, than the dog flushed a woodcock right in front of me......darn dog came out of the brush and just looked at me ...like why the H%^$ didn't you shoot ?!.....guess I need to teach her to read the regs grin.gif
After that she flushed 8 grouse in the next 2 hours. Now if I could only get her to retrieve them too !! She retrieves live birds no problem, but if the birds dead, she doesn't want anything to do with it,,,,so all in all a good day. 2 birds, should have been 3, but I couldn't find the 3rd.
Sunday only 1 woodcock and 1 grouse flushed in an hour of walking.
There's lots of birds,,,,,,should only get better once the leaves drop.

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 09-15-2003).]

I hunted around the Moose Lake area. Saturday hunting with 4 guys and 1 dog we flushed 5 birds in the morning and 7 in the evening. None were downed. Sunday didn't flush any but only hunted an hour in the morning.

All the flushes were in thick (I mean thick) 3-5" Aspen. This is the only area where I have ever hunted grouse. It seems the moons have to be aligned perfectly to have a clean shot and down a bird.

Basshunter,

I am not even going to answer to that comment. As for hunting today. Flushed 3 birds got 2. would have saw none without dog.

Hunted Saturday morning between Longville and Bena, flushed 2-Woodcock and shot the only Grouse we flushed, a young one that my GSP treed.

Sunday morning hunted two hours flushed 2 Grouse sitting together in thick stuff, got off 1-shot, missed, went in after them, flushed one again and missed opportunity due to heavy leaf cover.

ATV Grouse hunters ruin the entire aspect of walking in the Fall woods. Park 'em and WALK, same goes for vehicle hunters grin.gif

------------------
Chells

I took my 5 month old female yellow lab out for her first hunt. It was also my 10 year old daughter's 1st grouse hunt, the 5 year old daughter tagged along too. We hunted for about 2 hours and flushed one wood cock three times. It was awesome to see the pup get "birdy" and to stick with it for the second and third flush. At least she knows what her job is, although she's probably wondering why no one shot!! LOL Oh well we had a good time. My wife got a nice bouquet of wild flower's from the girl's too. LOL Still really thick out, so don't despair, there's plenty of time left.

bmc

I have been flushing all kinds of birds.. but of course I have a bow in hand and chasing deer.

I flushed several on Saturday in Savanah state forest, 1 flock had at least a dozen birds. The deer that were coming into the field I was hunting sunday flushed numerous grouse field side ... standing birch and poppel is where they were.

All in all I have seen more than 20 grouse over the weekend, and have been hearing many shots on the land surrounding where I'm hunting. There seems to be quite a few birds in my area.

Basshunter the reason the Atv should turn around is because it's inconsiderate!!!!!!! People on an atv can cover twice as much ground as a walker. If you come up on someone turn around let the walker finish his trail then the atv'er can hit the trail later. I have a couple of problems here. One if there were not atv's and walking was the only way to hunt I ask this question. My truck is park at the start of a trail you come to that trail in your truck knowing full well there is another trail just up the road would you stop and walk the trail that some one is already on or would you go to the next trail? Secondly, why is it that when a atv does come up on a walker and goes around him why can't they put some separation between the 2. They go around you then just putt along like nothing happened.

The bottom line is ATV hunters can cover twice as much ground as I can Why is it neccesary to go down a trail a fellow hunter is already on?

We flushed about 4 birds on Saturday and none on Sunday and were hunting the Chippewa National forest near Remer.

Had several occasions where I thought that ATV riders were extremely rude. One tried to run my full size GMC off the road when we were traveling between trails. If a vehicle is parked at a trail, common hunter courtesy would say to move on to the next trail, if you can't live by that simple rule, stay home.

Last night flushed two, no shot.

Duckbuster,
What if the ATV'er was just returning back to his/her trailer for the day or just heading out to that 2nd trail? Would he/she be rude by passing you or me?

Hunting from vehicles is just plain unethicle in our neck of woods. This is just to point out that I'm with you on this one.

Every trail is different. Any given trail may have multiple access points and multiple split off and juction points. Any given hunter will hunt different games. Any given forest will contain multiple game species. With that said, to lay claim to a trail for one's self use just for the sake of grouse hunting on public logging roads is just WRONG. Unless we know exactly the intentions of the ATV'er that passes us by, we should give him or her the benefit of a doubt. The hunt is so much better if we would just relax a little bit, but then we hunt for the purpose of that little relaxation. Ooh well, let's hope the leaves fall soon.

I'm giving up chasing TRIDGE after my experiences this past weekend. I hit three of my fav spots this past Sat & Sun and ran into groups, notice I say groups of those machines from he!!. Up off three lakes rd bout 5 miles in four atv's came putting up from behind me. 3 dogs in their bunch one of which had no manners and went after my spaniel. The owner just watched. Corky and I turned around and walked back. Half way back, we came upon many empty beer cans and the empty 12er. They were not there on our way in! We packed em out. Next, we went over to the Independance area south of Canyon and in....same story but without the dogfight. Sunday, we went up 44 and walked in the King Lake rd. We had to take to the ditch twice to avoid being run over. They (atv's) were going at least 50mph throwing mud, etc, and plainly saw us but didn't give a rip! Tried the Alger grade next. More of the same. All of the Atvers had uncased guns, alcohol and who knows what else. I realise, and truly believe that not all atv riders are this offensive, but there are enough of them to warrant something being done. By the end of the weekend, my pooch (she will be ten next March) was so rattled she was sticking pretty close to me and declined to venture into the brush very far. I suppose it's illegal to spike the trails, eh? We saw two birds, and heard several more. No shots! Tell me boys. Am I getting to be an old fuddy duddy? Is it time for me to put the shotgun on the rack for good, or are there others that are VERY FRUSTRATED? I look forward to getting out into the quiet woods and the sweet smell of the rotting leaves each year. The walking serves to get me into shape for deer hunting, not to mention keeping a few lbs off> Should I plan to get my exercise down at the lake walk from henceforth. Honestly, I don't need the aggravation anylonger. Drives the blood pressure up you know. Ah well! Just an old man ranting..thanks for lettin me go.

I hate to say it but the ATV people better start getting a grip on their behavior before there is a popular uprising ie. jet ski's. I've had a few run ins hunting public land, never said anything, never did anything, but.. I vote and if the issue about banning them were to come up or to further restrict their usage I might be willing to listen just for the plain fact that my experience with them and some of their drivers have not been very positive. All the recreational sports have been through this at one time or another though and they as a group have to figure it out and get rid of the dorks and idiots that are going to ruin it for the good guys and gals.

summerzzoff, even if your becoming an "old fuddy duddy" you have all the right to rant.
If someone elses dog was getting ornarie with mine, and the owner just stood by snd watched and didn't try an call it off, then I would go ahead and have my way with his dog.
I just did this the other day as a matter of fact, but i dont think the lady new what to do anyway, so I think she was more thankful than anything, HEH.
all This has given me more thought on going out grouse hunting on public land.
I didn;t run into this last year pheasant hunting, and running into your bonus group of grouse on public land in ND, and am pheasant hunting MN THIS year, so I hope this isn't legal or the norm for pheasant hunting public land too. Is it?

We should never watch with a blind eye and forget about violations. We should all pitch in and curb this unacceptable behavior. Next time you run into slob ATV'ers, PLEASE call the DNR. If no one teaches them a lesson, they will just keep on doing whatever they want.

Dano, most public pheasant hunting land is marked as 'no motorized vehicles' so you shouldn't have to worry about ATV's.

First off. I have no problems with atvs at all. I use one trapping and to drag out deer and bear. If I see someone at a trailhead wether I'm on a atv checking traps or I'm in my truck looking for a grouse hunting spot with the dog I will always passs the spot by until they leave. It's just common sense folks.

Now when the guy has a dog kennel and his uncased gun mounted to the atv and he is driving around the gate on a walking trail we got problems. Shoot the bird from the atv and then send dog on the retrieve. How sporting or fun is that?? I can see handicapped people doing this. But not in shape 16 to 60 yearold guys.

My dad is 63 had 1 heart attack, his thyroid removed and was wounded in Vietnam. He hunts grouse everyday in October and he walks.

Nuff with the ranting this isn't a atv complain page. So here's what I got today buddy was out working in woods today, always got huis gun on him. Saw 2 birds got 1. I am heading out tomorrow will give a report then.

Happy Hunting.

BassHunter I can see your point about trails being multi accessible. But in the area we hunt we do not hunt on peoples shack roads. And every trail we hunt is a dead-ended only one way in or out trail. So I hope you can see my side of the frustration. It's a mighty big woods out there in our area, I don't think it's to much to ask that when an ATV comes to a trail that my truck is parked at to go to the next one down and come back to this one later.
What do you think?

protrapper ..

THANK YOU for your reply on behalf of ATV's. I have absolutely nothing against them either, only a few idiots that use them in ways they shouldnt be and give us all a bad name. My father is one of the handicapped individuals that uses ATV's for hunting purposes for he couldnt hunt at all without. We go far out of our way to be courteous to other hunters, which most often keeps us from crossing another hunters path, unless un intentional, or before or after shooting hours. My self, when hunting public land I use my ATV often ... to get way back in the woods where the average Joe using common sense will not walk to, and I dont get the negative effects of small game or deer hunters(rifle) getting bored and shooting at tweety birds... an action far too common that is far more dangerous than the worst ATV user. To each their own, but as far as I see people are whining over a less than productive weekend and blaming it on Poor ATV riders.. they might be a factor and do some stupid things... but heavy cover, and lower bird numbers are more to blame.

Can we all drop the anti-ATV subject, or move to the political or ATV forum? I thought this was a grouse topic?

Lets face it, there is no perfect answer or regulation. All I know is a too many people that have nothing to do with ATV's should not be trying to force new restrictions to a situation they are not involved with so their 1 accumilated week in the woods a year is not disturbed by the sound of an ATV in the distance. Most of us are good riders and should not be punished for actions of a small percentage. More often than not(not to be mistaken for steriotype) the problem riders are coming strait from major metro areas when they decide to hit the woods and go *hunting*.

Find a less popular place to hunt, your ATV problem will go away.

In response… To begin with, I myself own and use an ATV. I, like pro trapper use it for getting deer out, hauling my canoe/boat into some lakes that are a long way off. It’s used to bring supplies into and out of our deer shack, as it is 8 miles off road. We used to walk in, but due to natural aging processes it was getting impossible for some of us. Diabetes/heart problems, etc. You know the handicaps. We even use the machines to just go riding, done mostly in the summer and spring times. In the last three years our deer shack has been trashed. We’ve gotten there to find the grass etc., torn up where machines have done circles around the shack, broken in, stolen small items that we’ve been able to leave there…up until this time. They’ve helped themselves to the canned goods, had a nice big fire just outside the door and left us with a “MOUNTAIN OF BEER CANS” and no firewood! They have even followed our footpaths up to a mile back into our stands (on their machines), and vandalized them; cutting the ropes used to pull up “ BOWS” and the items used for a days hunt. There have even been notes left. “Nice stand…too bad we found it” Well…… “ To get way back into the woods where no average Joe using common sense will not walk to”….
Additionally, I never considered myself to be a whiner…or a meat-hunter. A full game bag does not measure my success. Getting a bird or two is a bonus, as getting out and enjoying the fall woods is the prime directive. Such is the case; I try to get out three to four times per week, and a full ten days during deer season (rifle).
It is true, most ATV’ers are responsible, and the ones who are not do ruin it for the rest of us. Not all people who drink drive, but there must be some kind of restrictions to protect and ensure the safety of the general population. Lastly, with the unrestricted use of ATV’s, in case you haven’t noticed, THERE IS NO MORE “LESS POPULAR PLACES TO HUNT”! Nuff said. Sorry if inappropriate.

I, too, use an ATV for big game hunting and I hunt big game from bear season to the end of bow season. I have come upon grouse hunters before and have yet to turn around and head back to my truck because the area I have been scouting since the beginning of summer lies in the direction I was going.

Summerzoff,
You should invest in a trail cam. Make sure you hide it well and disable the flash.

[This message has been edited by basshunter (edited 09-17-2003).]

fisher dave,

Cool. Nuthin personal here either. I'm pretty much locked in to this area because of time and opportunity. Other than a quick check on this site, I don't get off from the salt mine until 4pm on the early side, so my birding usually takes place on the way home.

A good quote for me is, "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt".
HAPPY TRAILS.....TALKOOOOOOOOOOOO! smile.gif

summerzoff...

I looked in your profile and see your from Duluth .. or the area.

If you change your mind in the future the offer is still open. I'm about 40 miles away.

sumerzoff .. email me at [email protected] and I can point you in the right direction for state and county land that does not receive a lot of hunting pressure(small game). There are a couple small game hunters floating around, and a few bear hunters (I dont hunt anywhere near them out of respect), and I have yet to see another bow hunter. In fact, I would be more than happy to join you for a days hunting here and there if your interested. I also have some private land to hunt with good bird numbers, but wont touch it until I harvest my deer(archery). The state and county land will get nuts in the rifle season just about anywhere your at .. but for now its calm here.

If you, or anyone else is interested, send me an email and we will arrange some hunting. At the least I can point you in the right direction. It would be nice to see people enjoying their outings, and possibly get some positive reports up rather than an endless trail of ATV bashing (no direct insult to anyone was ever intended).

hey everyone, im just gunna say we had no luck opening day, then again we dont have a gog and there were tons of people out in all of what we thought "secret spots" turns out the ordinary joe smoe can find them to, but once the brush clears a little more and we can see then we will be killing them like we do every year, well hope you can give some more tips on spots...