• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pheasants dying off

Shorelunch

Has anyone heard of reports that pheasants are being poisoned and dying from a grasshopper pesticide called Warrior? I guess it takes three sprayed grasshoppers eaten by a pheasant to die - which is happening is great frequncy (I've heard)?

If it isn't one thing it's another . . .

Shore, I did some quick searches of the MSDS for Warrior and other similar insecticides. Appears that the Avian Toxicity is very low. It's pretty nasty stuff on Aquatic Organisms though! I'm not sure where you heard they were spraying for grasshoppers? I do know that they have been spraying a lot for Aphids in South Central MN. P.S. It's been many, many years since we've seen the great numbers of birds around the area! smile.gif Please let us know if you hear anything else on the subject and I'll quiz a couple of the Pest. co-workers in the next few day's!

That's a Great Question?

In addition: what are the affects on pheasants when spraying for aphids in soybeans? I have been hearing some rumors lately regarding the potential distruction of our pheasant population in Minnesota and Iowa from the use of chemical like:
Malathion, Dursban (chlorpyifos), Orthene (acephate), and Sevin (carbaryl).

I'm just wondering if there's an expert who can give me some insite into this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll down to the topic "MN pheasant population" and read WCMNWalleyes post.

Hes a farmer out thataway , so probably has some accurate knowledge.

This may be a stupid question but as a first time dog owner I am full of them. What kind of effects do these chemicals have on the dogs. Any effect on there ability to smell or any long term health related problems related to these chemicals? Adam

I use Malathion, Dursban, Tempo and Sevin all the time and have 2 springers that are very healthy and love to hunt, I'm not saying you can or should spray down the food & water dish but being in the area of these dont harm them.I dont know how closely the two are related but I use Tempo & Sevin right in my turkey barns.

There is no need to worry about your dogs in the fall, all the pesticides only remain toxic for 7 days. However don't run your dogs in some recently sprayed fields now. State land and CRP will be safe aswell.
As for the pheasants there will be a big die off everybody from WCMN to SEMN are spraying for these aphids. (except us and a few others) A few things can happen, direct spray on the pheasants will kill young ones, any incects sprayed and eaten will die, and the insecticides will kill off every insect which means if there are pheasants around what will they eat. Young pheasants need high protien diets which only come from insects.
I hate to sound so gloomy, but I am concerned. It won't be a total disaster but numbers will be down.

All the weed chemicals have been sprayed for years and do hurt the population but it is minimal.
Chemicals of concern are Lorsban which is really nasty and Warrior which is not as bad but does do damage.

There are some good numbers around so hunting will be better than in the past but not the canned hunt everybody is thinking.

Goodluck and shoot straight