• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HELP? Which shotgun?

Dano2

This is a topic I have been following in a couple other forums. Time to retire the old Rem. Model 11.

These are the ones I have in mind and would love some input from others.

I will be useing it for upland

Remington 11-87
Winchester Super X2

POSSIBLY,(but I doubt it) Benelli Super Black Eagle

If I decide to go for a pump, it will most likely be the rem. Wingmaster.
I have shot autos more, so I am not sure if the change will be a whole new thing to get use to or not.

I have heard so far from others, that many have had troubles with the 11-87,
and the super X2 has been flawless.

As far as a pump, dont try an talk me into the Benelli Nova, have heard WAY too many bad things already.

Also, theres the O/U 's
I have heard alot of folks use these as well for upland and swear by them.

O.K., now I hope I can get some good input.
I may just have to put each on a piece of paper, throw it in a hat, then pick one, heh.

One of the top things that I would consider would be the weight of the gun.You have to do alot of walking through some pretty rough terrain,you allready have to carry shells,water for the dog and maybe some for yourself and other misc.items,and hopefully some birds in your game pouch.I would lean towards the O\U if I had the cash to spend on one.Myself and my hunting partners have a saying.(One shot yes Two shots maybe Three shots No)which is generally true, when pheasant hunting. On occasion you can get one on your third shot but not often.Gun choice is really a matter of personal preference.

Good Luck

Bird Dog

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Two Shots , Not For Me.
I started out hunting Grouse. After many years of hunting and shooting I dont think to take a shot. Any thought would be weather its safe to shoot and that thought is all ready processed before a flush. In other words when a grouse flushes I would have taken a safe shot instinctively within 1 second.
Have you ever seen Tom Knap shoot exhibition?
Ok when Im pheasant hunting I dont wait to let the bird get out before I shoot. To do so would go against all I have accomplished with my Grouse hunting. I'm a pretty good shot but there are times Ive dumped pheasants on the 3rd and 4th shot. Theres also many times when Ive shot doubles and triples. I will not walk countless miles after pheasants with only 2 shots.
I reload my hunting shells and they put out a wallop, so I prefer an autoloader to reduce recoil which enables me to get back on target faster. Gun brand dosent matter to much to me as long as you get one that fits.

Dano2, take a look at the Benelli Montifeltro. The price isn't as high as the SuperBE. It's fairly light. I shoot one in a 20ga. that one is really lite! As for the o/u's they are pretty heavy unless you go for a small frame 20ga. Two shots or three or four is personal pref. as stated earlier. I'll take my 20 benelli over all of them any day!

Went and did a little looking again today,
checked out the
11-87
wingmaster
super X2
SBE
M1

and looked at one O/U but pretty heavy.

The super X2 has a great deal going right now with a $50 rebate, I think the price was $649, thats at Scheeels but when I decide to buy, I may have to check around, I'll have to see what Reeds wants for their shotguns first.
Anyway, I THINK I have made a decision unless I start getting some negative feed back.
My decision was based on the feal, weight and balance, and the price is $300 less than the SPB and the one I want (for now) is the Benelli M1.
Feed back?

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 02-21-2003).]

Dano2, check the used gun racks at Scheels or Cabelas. This time of the year there are alot of Benellis on the racks. I did some pricing awhile back and Reeds had everyone beat on Benellis. One thing about them is that they come with spacers to adjust the stock up or down to your shooting preferance. The Wingmaster would be my second choice. (fond memories of my first shotgun!) Whatever you get,good luck bird hunting.

Thanks, I'll have to see what Reeds wants for the M1.
They also had a SBE for $899, it had a couple small scratches, but still worth the money.

About the red label, thanks for the reply, but they are a little out of my price range.

I shoot a X2 and love it. You just have to keep it clean. Not shiny new but wiped down at the end of the day. Don't put very much oil in th eaction on a cold day. This gun is very touchy. I use a thin coating of rem oil during the hunting season. Other than the sensativity to oiling they are an excellent gun.
I shot a O/U before the x2. They are good as long as you dont duck or goose hunt from pits or tight blinds.

Dano2,

My vote goes for the Super X2. Owned the original Super X1 as a trap gun twenty years ago and loved it. When the Super X2 came out a few years back I needed a field gun and nostalga called. I have not been disappointed.

Saw some comments above about the gun be a little touchy but I have found just the opposite. My gun cleaning/maintenence habits leave a little to be desired, have shot a lot of shells in less than perfect field conditions and still have never had a misfire. Really like the composite stock too. Light and very durable.

IMHO a great gun for the price, real value. Just my two-cents. Good luck with your purchase.

IceAge

Have you checked out a Beretta? I can not say enough about mine. I have owned an 1187 and would not recommend. I have a buddy who has an Super X and he does not like it. I have seen a lot of SBEs jam on light loads. Just take a look at a 391 and see what you think.

I have an M1 and it works really nice. Very easy to clean and take apart. I would go with the M1 over the Black Eagle, unless you do a lot of goose hunting and want to shoot 3 1/2 shells

Slab

The Beretta is a nice gun, but a little too pricey for me,
I am putting half down on the M1 when i get my tax back.
From all the feed back I have gotten from this and other forums, It sounds like a well performing gun, and that I like to hear, but like I said before I heard of its performance, i based my decision on the feel when i was looking at Scheels.
I looked at many, and the M1 fealt reall nice.
thanks

I love my mossberg 835 ulti-mag! It takes all the abuse I can give it and shoots dead on. I have never had a problem with it. I would recomend it if you want a really good, tough gun. ><>
deadeye

I'm with deadeye I recently bought a 835 ulti mag and love it only cost $360 true glow sights and a synthetic stock It came with a 10 year warranty too.

I hate my Beretta, (686 Onyx) in fact I have it for sale now, never had a problem with it, it just doesn't fit me, and I can't shoot well with it.

My M-1 has only rarely had a problem, even then it was hunting in temps in the low teens, and it got water in it. A little working of the action and we were right back in business.

Good choice with the Benelli. Do your shopping, I paid about $100 less for mine than I would have at some shops. Contact Reed's in Walker.

Maybe it was just were I looked at the 391 and it was over a grand, the M1 is $850 at Reeds.
Scheels wants $800 but I'm sure its last years model, reeds will be getting this years in soon

I have a Montefeltro in 12 gauge and I love it. Its lightweight and I can carry it all day without dragging your arms at the end of the day. I had a buddy try a SuperX2 and he ended up trading it for a SBE cuz he didn't like the SuperX2, but then again he hunts geese quite a bit. I noticed you mentioned that you will mainly hunting upland. I'm not sure how much these Benelli Montefeltro cost but I know they are more than your average shotgun. Now I shot variety of loads through my Benelli from the cheap Walmart Federal and Winchester 7/8 oz loads and it it kicked them all out with out jamming. I seen guys use their Brownings and try the same loads even 1 oz and it turned out they were having to open the action manually ( semi auto ) so it more less turned into a single shot. Plus I like the idea that Benelli uses enertia to operate the action. Ever watch Tom Knapp? I got to see him in person 2 times and he's pretty awesome shot with Benelli. I even got a couple of his videos. And man he can work that pump! 8 hand thrown targets and break them all before they hit the ground. But this is all exhibition shooting and you wanted a gun forhunting. I tell you wont be disappointed with Montefeltro. I have a 870 and Benelli Nova and ever since I got this Montefletro I dont even know why I have those other 2 shotguns cuz I dont use them anymore cuz I love the Montefltro too much. Just my 2 cents!

Brian

Tom Knapp will be in Little Falls sometime in October, I was thinking of checking that out. His schedule is at the Benelli home site.

Not sure what the difference is between the Montfeltro (spelling?) and the M1, but I will putting half down in a bout a week or so for the M1, was at Scheels again yesterday, and had to pick it up once more and look at it. I love it.

I assume you are getting the synthetic stock right? Wood is pretty, but not on a duck gun. The best thing about Benelli is they make a LEFT-HANDED auto! The M-1 will win no beauty contests, but it takes all weather, and keeps on shooting.

The montrefeltro is a bit sleaker, better looking gun, functionally the same action, I think they both shoot 3 inch, maybe the montefeltro shoots only 2-3/4 though. I know it can hold 1 more shell in the magazine when upland hunting.

Nope, no sythetic for me, dont duck hunt anymore., Iknow what your thinking though, thats why I went with the synthetic with my deer rifle, heh, heh, but I feel the need for the pretty looking wood on the next gun I get. Thanks for the inputs.
Have to look at that other Benelli before I put the $$$ down.

The Montefletro is usually a bit cheaper if I remember right!

Dan0,
Shotguns are an intersesting thing. Personally, I shoot a Beretta 391 Silver Mallard, cost $649. My wife is exceptional, and gave it to me as a birthday present 5 years ago. It has a synthetic stock, for the ducks, which I devote a good chunk of time to. It has never, and I repeat, never failed me. For my old man's 50th birthday 4 years ago, I, excuse me, my wife bought him a Benelli Montefeltro(left-handed). It has never(to my knowledge), failed him. Last year, I snuck a little Beretta 20 ga, o/u into my basement, and it is my new favorite shotgun. I bought it off of Gander's used gun rack(it was last year's model), without a single shell going through it. It didn't quite fit me, though. I'm 5'6" with short arms. I believe I spent about $95 bucks to have the stock shotened to 13 3/4", and now I hate to put it down. Bottom line. If you find a heck of a deal on a quality shotgun, buy it. For the most part, they all make some pretty good shooting sticks(this could turn into another post in itself). Aside from the money you pay initially, the best money you can spend, is the few dollars it takes for a GOOD gunsmith to make it a truly great gun.
Brooks

Well said about the fit Flatlander,

I am 6 feet, and my Beretta is to long for me. Not in love with it, so trying to sell it rather than adjust it. Rugers fit me well, looking for one instead...

Put money down today on the M1, 26" barrell, satin walnut .
feels reeeeel gooood, heh, heh,
gave me a discount becasue theres just a tiny little scratch on the stock.
Nice and lite, balanced and smooth action,
I think i am going to really like this gun,
but, I think most of them I would have liked somewhat anyway after having my old Rem. model 11 that used to be my grandpas, but that one will go in the cabinet (when i get one) as a keep sake.