• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Exploding 8700 express

Mr. B

While hunting this afternoon I had my year old 870 Super Magnum (sorry I thought it was an 870 Express) blow up while shooting. I think what happened was that while pumping the second shell in to the chamber it went off. I was curious to know if anyone else had ever heard of this first of all and second I was thinking of sending the gun back to Remington, do I have any recourse with them or do I just toss it and go and buy a new gun? The shells were Federal No. 4's not reloads or anything special.

No injures other than a splitting headache so after switching guns continued to hunt but never did hit another bird.

Thanks for any and all advice.

[This message has been edited by Mr. B (edited 11-29-2002).]

The barrel being plugged was our first thought but after returning home we found that there was nothing plugging the barrel. After removing the remaining portion of shell left in the barrel we found that it had barely opened. All the shot, wad and power went out the bottom and side. Up until that point I had shot maybe a box of shells though it so I know nothing was in the barrel.

Thanks

Mr. B,

Wow, that is the first tim eI have heard that happening. You always hear strange things but never really think about it. I would definately send the gun back to Remington. Federal is a great company but don't believe the problem is Federal's. Sounds like your gun for some odd reason is striking the shell with enough force to send it off. Which is really odd for a pump action. Not sure you will get any concrete answers but you might get a new gun from Remington. Darn lucky no one was hurt!
Good Luck! I'd be interested to hear what comes of it.

The wad and the shot came out the wrong end of the shell almost sounds like the problem is with the shell.

If you have shot alot of shells through the gun before it blew up, I would lean toward the shell as the problem. A dud shell.

But I have never had it happen so not forsure.

www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 11-30-2002).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you ignite a shell that isnt chambered and bolted the shell or case will fly and the lead stays. Its no doubt this happened.
Just a matter if it was the gun that did it or bad shell. Save the box with the shells and contact Fed. The lot number will be on the box so thats why you need the box.
I reload and had problems with Fed primers.
Next I would bring the gun to where I bought it and have them contact Rem for you. They may even return it for you, hopfully you still have the sales slip. If the store wont help you then contact Rem yourself. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

I would post this question to other forums if nobody here has had it happen, maybey 'shotgun sports'. I would think that calling federal and remington is a good start , but i bet you get a whole lot of butt covering,this sounds like a very dangerous situation. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.I would keep trying getting a more honest opinion from a consumer first.A gunsmith could probally tell you if theres any reason the gun caused this or if theres any damage as a result.

Mr B ...

I may have your answer.

Do you use Rem Oil® ? I had similar problems this season many times over. I couldnt figure out what was going on. To make a long story short I had just changed to Rem Oli from regular gun oil and every time it got below freezing I has serious problems with the action of my shotguns. There was no problems when above freezing. I didnt figure it out until I brought out both shotguns after cleaning them both out and using the Rem Oil. I dont know if any one else has encountered problems with Rem Oil like this .. might be a bad batch .. but I'll never use it again. I cleaned and degreased both guns again and changed to the old oil and guess what ... flawless performance.

Both shotguns were Rem 870's .. one wingmaster, and one express. I have never had a problem with either until the Rem Oil incident.

I would call federal and chew them out. Their shells are crappy. Ive had bad things happen with them more than once.

I was not using Rem Oil so I do not think that had anything to do with it. Are you thinking that because it was below freezing that the action on my gun stuck and while I was driving the next shell into the chamber I hit the shell hard enough to get it to go off? I am not sure about that because I have really slammed shells in to the chambe with other pumps and never had a problem. But since I really do not know what happened I am not going to discount any idea.

Thanks

From the results I had it appeared the firing pin didnt contract properly ( froze sticking out ).

When the action came forward the firing pin would make contact with the new shell before the action was properly closed.... The end result is the shell would go off before being properly chambered.

My entire trigger mechanism was lightly iced up from the oil... I guess it could have been anything in there forcing the firing pin forward, or keeping it forward... Either way the situation wasnt good and changing the oil did take care of it. This is not neccessarily the same problem that started this post, but it could very well be a possibility ... another companies oil may fail under the same conditions.

Its a problem best checked out by a gunsmith. If a person thinks it may be the oil causing the problems, please be careful if they are going to take it upon themselves to take care of it.

Another problem that came to mind could be a cracked or broken firing pin. Check it with the gun unloaded to see if its sticking out in front of the action. If its not, put an empty (dud) shell in the chamber and pull the trigger. When you open the action the firing pin should be buried .. not exposed. If it is exposed or you suspect this could be the problem, pull your action apart and inspect the firing pin and the spring on it. It could have some junk in there built up that didnt allow it to retract. If the shell discharged out of the side of your action, the only way this can occur is if your shell went off before properly chambered, the barrel was obstructed, or somehow the wad was fused in the shell or the crimp on the shell was fused shut which are unlikely, but not impossible.

This is the first problem tha tI have had with Federal shells and since I had already shot a box of the same shells I am not sure that that could be the problem. Butthe gun is being sent in to Remington on Monday so they can look at it.

The best part is I get to go shopping for a new gun. Even if this on is fixed or replaced it will only be a spare.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give ever one an update as to what has happened with my *70 Super Mag that exploded last fall. I never did really get a good explanation as to what happened but remington replaced the gun free of charge.

Now with my Black Lab pup in getting some professional trainning I can not wait until next year. Does any one know of any resonably priced game farms to take her to between now and this fall to keep her training fresh?

Like all the others said. Glad no one got hurt.

For checking out game farms I use this link, its a list of all or most of all the game farms in MN.

I've found the average to be about $15 a bird.

The Best place Iv'e been is International Falls (Voyager Sportsmans Paradise)

$15 a bird, Min of 3. All scratch birds are free. (birds missed in the field from other hunters) So on a good day you can pay for 3 and come home with 5 or more.

and on a bad day, Iv'e paid for 3 and came home with 1

but always fun, and when a bad day is still a good day, you know somethings going right.

I never saw this thread last fall, man are you lucky you didn't lose an eye. THANK GOD for that!!!!!!! Can I ask who is doing the training? I am thinking about sending my new pup to a pro next fall for the winter. Where did you get the pup from? What color? Let me know.
GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTING

I sent my lab to Holzinger Kennels at the MN Horse and Hunt Club. I had narrowed down to two differnet ones and decided on the Horse and Hunt club because it was closer. I have lots of good referals to both places. I pick her up on Friday and I am so excited to hunt with her my wife told me today I am acting like it is October.