• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

These boots were made for walking......

metrojoe

I started pheasant hunting this year and I never would have guessed I'd be putting on the miles like I have been.
Anyways, I've got a pair of Lacrosse boots I use for deer hunting(archery)and their perfect for stand hunting, but I've found the are not the boot to where if your going to be walking all day.
Any of you seasoned pheasant hunter have any suggestions on a comfortable boot?.

Metro,

Yes, Boots are an important part of Pheasant hunting especially when you are out walking 10 miles a day. I tried the LaCrosse Boots also and they flat out sucked. There are a bunch of different comfortable boots out there. I prefer to hunt in Browning Boots. They have been most comfortable and durable for me. There are others though. Irish Setters are a good boot as are Danner boots. These both will run you some money though. A cheaper alternative and very popular boot is Rocky. I didn't like Rocky boots because they didn't fit my feet very well. Which is odd I thought I had pretty normal feet. smile.gif But I suppose for everyone their level of comfort is going to be different. Which ever boot you chose make sure they are gortex. Can't tell ya how many times I've run into some hidden water along the way. Also get a boot with a low rating. Something that is 400g Thinsulate or less. I prefer 200's as they keep my feet warm but not sweating. Well Hope this helps.

Good Luck smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The way I hunt I usually end up in knee high water of and on all day long.
So no insulation. (soaks up water)
Light weight
High uppers to keep seeds and stickers out of my socks.
Good Tread
Soft and plialbe
There cheap, built well and take a beatin. US Army boots. If there good enough for our military there good enough to bump around in on the weekends chasin pheasants.

I agree with Chevytruck, make sure they are Goretex, look into the lighter boots, 200-400 grams thinsulate so your feet don't sweat, don't get the ones that look like hiking boots (too many stickers in socks and more freeboard when going thru water). I like the Rocky boots myself, good bang for the buck, even at $100-150, they last for years, depending upon usage. When you spend hours on your feet pheasant hunting, good boots make the hunt! Think about a second pair eventually, nice to have dry pair after going thru the ice, also helps to rotate them on multiday hunts. I also have the Peet boot dryer, works great!

No doubt to get boots with Gore Tex. Having wet feet all day isn't that much fun. I bought a new pair of Red Wing Pointer Boots this year. They are uninsulated with Gore Tex and very comfortable. They are pretty resonably priced too. I would recommend them to everyone.
Hoss

You want a great boot go with the Filson boots, they are a little more exspensive but you get what you pay for! They will last FOREVER!!

!! Some people will say your paying for the name...Trust me you wont regret it!!

Rivertown Sports in Red Wing carry the Filson BOOTS, CLOTHING, CHAPS, and will order anything you want so go check them out.

And my second choise would be the Red Wings, I have torn up alot of those boots very comfortable you wont want to take them off your feet.

http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 11-25-2002).]

Have you guys tried any of the other filson stuff? I get the catologs, but haven't bought anything yet. I would like to at some point, I know it's great quality, but at those prices it better be.

Filson boots are superior to anything out there. Very expensive, but will last forever, and can be resoled if needed. Spend the money once, and end up with boots for life!

Filson boots last forever???! Hard to believe! Every boot I've ever had, whether its Rocky, Red Wing, or Cabelas usually wears out in the toe - the leather or material wears out if you put enough miles on them. BUT, I like good hunting boots and I'm willing to pay the price and try the Filsons is you guys tell me that "they last forever and I'm out hunting in them 10 weekends a year, not just opening of pheasants". Also, do they come with Gore Tex?

I can't guarentee that they will last for ever but the boot comes with a waranty against defective materials, or if you wear them out. They don't have gortex in them, they come insulated with Mackinaw virgin wool. I have almost a full line of filson hunting clothing and i wouldn't hunt with anything else. It is warm, waterproof, and they warantee everything they sell. What more could you ask for. If your sick of being cold hunting or working buy some filson. You won't regret it.

------------------
http://fishingminnesota.com/rtsports/

Now wait a min. One minute Filsons last forever and the next they have a good warranty? Big Difference there. I also hunt darn near every weekend and ususally twice a week in 4 states. A normal hunting boot will not cut it. Also gortex is a must. It is durable and no more wet feet. I have had my browning boots for 6 years now and they are not even showing wear. Can't say that for Rockies or Danners.
8 hours of pushing swamps, cattails, fields, brush, etc. Not saying that Rockies & Danners are not good boots they are. I have owned them. Just that there is a big difference between lasting forever and a piece of paper that says "warranty"

Rt Sports,

How warm is that makinaw wool stuff? Was thinking about getting the pants as my legs get cold when I deer hunt or sitting in a duck blind wearing waders.

Ok ill try to reword this for you. Filson boots are very durable boots, and they will out last any other boot you buy!
If you happen to get a bad boot, they are warrentied send them back and you will get a new pair.

I have gone threw alot of boots to where when the soles are shot usally the leather on the boots are shot not with the filson put new soles on and there still good to go.
They really are a long lasting boot.

http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 11-26-2002).]

I've got a pair of Danner boots that I've been using for 4 years, and I do a lot of upland hunting. They still have a few years left in them. There is absolutely nothing coming apart on them. They are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever owned, they seem to mold to your feet. I've owned Irish setters and the fell apart in one season and they had little support. I've also owned a pair of Rocky's and they to only lasted a season. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a pair of Danner's.
Fisherdog

Your right a piece of paper isn't that grate with most products, but the waranty on fislon is good for ever. The mackinaw virgin wool is very warm. Im not hear trying to make a sale, im hear to tell people my opinion, and filson is all i will buy because I am sick of being cold and i hate having to buy new coats, pants, boots, bibs, ect every other year because i wanted to save a little money. You get what you pay for no matter what your buying.

------------------
http://fishingminnesota.com/rtsports/

I'm with fisherdog. Love my Danners and get 7-8 years of heavy use out of them. I dont mind getting a new pair of boots once in a while, and yes goretex is a "must have". One question on the Filson hunting clothing. I have a shelter cloth upland coat and have sworn it off.Makes me feel kind of bad because the quality of their products is second to none. Due to the wax coating it doesnt breath very well so you end up wearing sweaty clothing all day long. I usually wear Thermax and or some fleece depending on the temp., and I still end up cold and clammy. Would much rather wear a gortex rain type coat that breathes and a game vest over that. Thoughts anyone?

Ok, Sorry didn't mean to step on anyone's toes hehe grin.gif. I suppose everyone is going to have their own opinion on the boots issue.

As far as a jacket goes I love my gortex or omnitech or whatever different companies call it. I currently wear a Ptarmagan Parka by Columbia and I love it. Best one yet for me. It is not insulated so you don't over heat and it does an excellent job cutting the wind out. Plus it protects your arms from branches adn thorns and what have ya.
I agree that buying the better "stuff" in the long run is not only cheaper but more comfortable.

Happy Hunting smile.gif
Happy Turkey Day!

I could not recommend Danner boots based on my recent experience. I have a pair of the Sequoia model, like the Big Horn but insulated. The stitching on the leather around the eyelets wore away on both boots after 6 days of hunting. This was walking through grass and cattails. Danner and the retailer explained that abrasion is not covered by warranty and Danner actually implied that this was to be expected given that upland terrain is "tough" on boots! Retailer has offered to re-stitch so I guess that is what will be done. Based upon their customer service I will never purchase another Danner boot.

Alot of good info, thanks guys.

The Fison boots look awsome, but the price is a little out of my budget.

I like the idea of army boots. Where does a guy go to get his hands on a pair?

My biggest concern was comfort. I noticed that there isn't much for arch support in the boots I have and my feet would get sore from walking. I'll definatly have to go try a few pair on and walk around the store a bit.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my rockies going on 3 years now,
only place there worn is were the dog chewed on them,
maybe its the steel toe, Not sure, but they do have many miles on em.
I got the steel toes becasue I got them off the boot truck that comes to work, steel toes is all they have, i like the old pay roll dedution thing, heh, heh,
I also have a pair of steel toe Icemens that i use for ice fishing or any other winter activity, both boots are very warm even with the steel toe.