• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

help for the picks

Farley

How many teams in your leauge? Maybee try for a good QB\WR combo. Last year I won the league with Manning/Harrison and I had 9th pick out of 12. If there is 10 teams there is a chance to get them, otherwise just go with the flow and pick the best guys available.

Thanks for the reply. There's going to be ten people. I'm sure that the top RB's will go 1st.

We drafted yesterday and the order went like this:
1. Holms
2. Tomlinson
3. Green
4. Portis
5. Culpepper
6. Moss
7. Alexander
8. Manning
9. Harrison
10 McCallister
11 McNaab
12 Lewis

You can count on the top 5 RB to be gone. If you can get your hands on Manning\Harrison, dont hesitate, grab them. Or if someone took Manning or Culpepper, you could take Moss or Harrison and offer up a trade after a few weeks once they start having big games and get yourself a star RB.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
WOW!!!!

Lots of QBs and WRs early. Should have been some decent RB tallent left for the second round(maybe even third).

How'd your draft go overall?

Borch

You are in a pretty good draft spot. You should be able to get a couple of stud RB back-to-back where you are. McAllister, Lewis, Barlow...you get two guys like that and you will be in good shape.

In a ten-team league, you can wait on a QB. You should be able to get someone like McNair or Brooks in the middle rounds and be in good shape.

Borch:
It went pretty good. We got done in record time, probably because we drafted on a sunday afternoon rather than Saturday night. Those saturday night drafts can get pretty wild in our neck of the woods. I picked 3rd and ended up with:
STL QB
CIN QB
A. Green
S. Davis
O. Smith
M. Moore
I. Bruce
M. Robinson
P. WArrick
A. Boldin
BAL Kicker
NE Defense
We are a TD and Yardage leauge. I figured Boldin can sit on my bench untill he gets healthy. Missed Trent Green by one pick, otherwise I'm pretty happy with my picks.

Jarrod32: The top 3 QB's from last year doubled the points put up by the RBs after the top 5 (Alexander and down the list), I think it would be worth it. The top 3 QB's wont be there when it comes back down to 10th pick after the first two rounds.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 08-16-2004).]

In my opinion Farley was probably the exception rather than the rule with the drafting of QB/WR 1 and 2. The fact that a QB scored the most points isn't the best factor to use. The best measuring tool is value. For example, take the value of the worst starting QB in your league (The 10th ranked) and subtract that score from each of the starters to give you a number. That's the value number. Do the same for RB's and see what kind of value they will have. The value of the QB that will be available in Rd 3 with the RB that will be available in Rd 3 should point heavily towards waiting on a QB or WR. In our 12 team league only 4 QB's will be gone after Rd3. If I took a QB or WR with my first pick my second pick would be an RB 100% of the time. Since you pick 10th you are in a spot where you very likely will want to take one of the WR's or a QB and then take the best RB. I think there's the seven RB's on Farley's board that have to be taken before Moss or Culpepper. That's only my opinion, everyone has one and also your scoring system might favor a QB or WR and increase thier value over a RB.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That's right a lot depends on the scoring system. Most scoring systems favor the RBs heavily. Often even the second tier RBs outscore the top tier QB & WR. But I've seem some score the equalizes the scoring. Actually I like those system best as it minimizes the early and long run on RBs.

Borch

I don't know what to do? I pick last but the 2nd round I pick 1st. Who would your picks be?

You may also want to check out the Sporting News website and hit up there fantasy football central. Then run through their Mock Drafts. They last 10 minutes max and it really can give you a feel about how people are drafting and who is a "HOT" pickup.

But yes, the note of the dropoff is key. There are pretty much Manning and Culpepper then the next 6 or so QB's are still a great pickup. As for Running backs there are the top 7 then the next 6 or so are still great. As for WR there are 3 top and then after that it is a stretch. Although there are some great ones after the top 3 they generally put up NO where near the numbers as Moss, Harrison and Holt.

I guess I should say. From where you are picking Fred Taylor should be available and is up for a GREAT season. Then pick up either Harrison or Holt if available.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 08-17-2004).]

Piker, I know what you're sayin about the value aspect, personally I value a top 3 QB over any of the RB's after the top 5. Peyton Manning gave me 45 points in one game last year(350+ yds and 6TD's, I had Harrison too 3TD's and 158 yds, witch gave me a total of 72 points form my QB\WR alone). I had Jamal Lewis last year too and the most he got me was 27. Now that's 3 TD's difference between the QB and RB. But I do admit this wont happen every year, that was an amazing game. Most RB's you'll get in the 3rd round in a 10 team leauge should get you 6 consistantly, the top 5 RB's will get you 12 consistantly, so the math adss up for me. But it's a crapshoot nonetheless.

BTW, the team with the Manning\Harrison combo has won our leauge 2 years in a row.

Farley,

I had Manning/Harrison combo last year and ended up runner-up so I have to agree you can't go wrong there. BTW - I also had Holmes. 12 team league where runningbacks are picked heavy.

My first 3 picks were: 1. Holmes, 2. Manning, 3. Harrison

This worked great for me, why everybody else was scavanging for rb I was taking the best available player at a key position. I actually took Heap with my 4th pick. Obvioulsy my 5th pick running back was a nobody - maybe Bettis or Hambrick forget which stiff I picked there but I had a solid big 3.

This year, I think I will go for Culpepper/Moss!! smile.gif

If I could go with Holmes number one and still be able to get Manning and Harrison in the 2nd and 3rd, I'd be on that like a rat on a cheeto. I just wouldn't take two non-RB's before at least on RB. Granted you could win with that but you'd almost have to get an over-achieving RB and a sleeper/rookie RB. It's debateable, my very first draft ever in '00 I grabbed Manning/Ike Bruce at the snake in Rd1 and 2. I was able to grab Fred Taylor (Injury Risk, at the time) in three and I did all right.

If ever was a year you could go non RB with your first two picks this would be a good year to do it. I have done 3 drafts on Yahoo so far and there has been decent value in the RB selection. Some names that have gone in that area have been: Barlow, Dillon, Taylor, D. Davis, M. Bennett, Henry, Barber, Westbrook, and Johnson. Personally if I would go non RB with my top two picks I think I would go WR/WR instead of QB/WR, and probably would only do that if Moss was one of the WR I would get. I'll probably do a couple more Yahoo leagues and may try that draft strategy. If I do I will post results. So far in the 3 live draft leagues I've done the lowest pick I've drafted is 2. I just don't feel confortable experimenting with draft strategies with that high of a pick.
Good Luck.

Andy

Farley,

Jamal Lewis only scored 27 points in that record setting week he had against Cleveland? You must be in a td heavy league where Qbs get 6 pts per td pass. In a point per 10 yards league, Lewis had over 50 points that day.

I'm also a firm believer in taking RBs and WRs early and waiting on a Qb. Although I have to admit that the one year I had Manning/Harrison I won the title. They seem to be a magical combo.

Then again, Favre led the league in td passes and was probably drafted in the 4th or 5th round in most leagues.

If I get a low pick in the first round then I'll target either Moss or Harrison and grab a good back like Fred Taylor. Taylor should have a very good year.

Yeah, we get 6 points for TD's and 6 points for 100yds and 3 points for every 50 over 100. QB's get 6 points for 300 passing yds and 3 points for every 50 after 300. That's why we draft QB's so early, for the amount of TD's they get compared to RB's.

Do your QB's get 6 points for TD's as well? In our league it's 3, but I've seen a lot that give 4 for QB's. A Manning/Harrison hookup would be 12 points a time that way, and I guess that sounds pretty good to me.

QB's 6 pts for TD, 6 pts for 300yds, 3 pts for every 50yds over 300.

RB's 6 pts TD, 6 pts 100yds, 3 for every 50yds over 100

WR same as RB

K 3 pts FG, 1 pt PAT

DEF 6 points for any TD (kick return, interception for TD, Fumble return for TD)

It's basic, but easy to keep track of your score on Sunday, most of the time you dont even need a piece of paper.

My picks are going to be on labor day @ 5 pm. There's only 10 of us, so I'm going after QB/WR. I'm last to pick.