• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Glacier 3 man review (from 9 & 7 year old girls)

I checked out the web site for the glaciers and I saw the picture on how they go together but I am still not sure if I understand them. The way I understand how this fish house works is that it is a little more along the lines of a traditional house rather than a fish trap or otter. This house does not flip up at all, right? It looks like a trap but goes together more like a clam or something. Do I have this right or am I just stupid, or both? I am very interested, not only because of the low price, but because of the weight of this unit. Do you know if the Glaciers will be at the Ice Fishing Show, would sure love to see one up close. Thanks for indulging my stupidity.

[This message has been edited by Big Dave2 (edited 11-22-2002).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The picture really does show it well. It's not like a clam.

The Glacier just flips up on both ends, the braces are put in place and you're ready.

Takes about 30-60 seconds, even for 1st time users. Pretty easy.

Just wanted to add to Rick's last post:
The lower half of the front flips up. When I want to move the shelter, I hook a bungie from the botton spreader brace to the middle brace in front. That holds it up so it doesn't drag in the snow.

I currently have a suitcase type (frabill speed shak), but am considering switching to a sled-type shelter. Just wondering if these shelters are a battle for one person to put up/take down in the wind? In my experience, when you have to start connecting and disconnecting poles it can get frustrating.

hawgTime

One more curious question: does the glacier have a "floor" for the part where the holes are or is it open? No big deal-- I can allways make my own-- but it would be nice to keep heaters, finders, etc off the bare ice.

Rick,

I’m curious about the weight?

The main page says 20 lbs for the two person, which is incredibly light, but the online ordering page says 140 lbs shipping weight?

I understand that there must be some packaging material required to ship but 120lbs? Could you please clarify this…they look like a great unit and I am very interested in getting one. You have mentioned that is possible for viewing and picking up, what part of town are they in?

Thanks

Hi Chucker,
this is a little complicated so I'll say it simple. The 140 weight you see is just a number plugged in to help keep shipping costs low.

Fact is, we lose money on the shipping of the Glacier's.

It does not weigh 140 lbs. The 2 person unit weighs 20 lbs and the Glacier III is 24 Lbs.

Thanks for the info Rick.

I am interested in looking at the two man unit and if it fits in the back of my suv I think I will buy one. The dimensions look close, what part of town are these units located?

Best bet is to go ahead and order one. If it doesn't work for you, just return it. I believe the 2 man will work just fine in your SUV.

Otherwise, please call toll free:
(866) 523-0980 for more information or to order yours.

Anyone get their Glacier out yet?

Hi Hawgtime & Crawlerman,
The Glacier sets-up pretty nice, even in the wind.
You just step inside, flip the side bar up, slid the connector on, flip the other side up and attach the same connector on that side bar and the house is standing.
Then you just slide the extender bar in the bracket. Even in 20-25 mph wind it should take well under a minute (unless it's very heavy wind).

It is also a sled style just like most portables that aren't the heavy suitcase style. So the ice is under the tend outside the sled.

I've ice fished both ways and for the life of me I can't figure out why so many have a problem with putting their feet and gear on ice. Both styles get wet and cold floors. The plastic underneath the suitcase has little if any insulating qualities.

I stay just as warm and dry in either style. Yet, it is so much easier to set-up and lighter to go with the sled style.

For my tastes, I prefer the ice sitting right there. It's just not a problem. All of my gear holds up fine on it.

Click here for more info on the Glacier Line

I know a few of you have ordered....what do YOU think?

I used a 3 man last year. It fits into my Suv with on of the seats down. Very light. I hand pull this all the time. This is the only problem with. If you are in a strong wind and have it completely up it can take off like a sailboat. I brought some anchors this year wink.gif