• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Glacier 3 man review (from 9 & 7 year old girls)

This is from my 9 year old girl Jessie...

I like our new Glacier 3 man. We put on our ice skates in there and it was nice and warm. We caught a lot of fish in there. Our grandpa caught a baby fish it was cute. I even learned how to use the flasher to catch the bluegill. I watched the lure go down as the fish go up to eat it.

Now here is my 7 year old sister Jamie...

Hi my name is Jamie. Pike are my best but today we got bluegill. My dad is cleaning the fish but we will get to eat the fish for supper tonight.

Seriously, folks, the Glacier 3 man is a great unit. My wife, 2 kids & I were all able to fit nicely along with the flasher, 4 pair of ice skates, the heater and so on. It even doubled as a sled to haul the girls back to the car with.

FLB

Hi FLB,
It doesnt get any better than that! The whole family out for a day of fishing and winter fun., glad the glacier is treating you well. I know my otter is.Now if you could get the wife to clean the fish you would have it made! lolol Thanks for the report and have a safe and happy new years!! Paul, Karrie and Allison

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Hi Paul,

My girls will be thrilled to see your response to their post. They kept refreshing the screen last night waiting for a reply. Any other fisher-kids out there?

FLB

p.s. - I haven't recontacted you regarding getting my dad set up to pay you a visit due to the late ice. I assumed you had to reschedule many of your early bookings. He should be able to ride the sled with no problems. He's in better shape than most men half his age (and orny, too!). Do you have any openings?

Well, its not my kid, but its my Godchild (and neice) that can not get enough fishing. She is just turning 3. She loves getting the minnows out for us, watching the graph for fish moving up to the bait. She wont touch the big fish yet, but she is not scared of them. She even went to Canada this year for a week of Walleye fishing! I hear about it everytime I am with her. She is a very well behaved girl in the fish house and stays plenty busy.
It is a real treat to watch her.
Jeremy

It'll be a cold day in heck before my wife cleans fish, she wont even cook them, she says I'm too fussy! lolol I've got buddies tho, they bring their fish home and wifey does the rest! Guys got it made.... FLB , about the late ice trip, just give me a shout. should be able to work out a date. Actually I kind of anticipated this late ice thing and didnt book anything until after x mas. The remodeling thing shot my fall all to heck anyways. Been fun being dad tho. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hi Jessie and Jamie,
it's very nice to have you post your results. I'm, very happy you had fun and you got great use out of the Glacier Portable shelter.
Did your Dad let you try to pull the Glacier?

Keep us posted on your fishing and send me a picture of yourselves out fishing or with fish.

Thanks Jamie and Jessie!

GoodFishin : )
Rick Paquin

Hi Rick!

Jamie and me whent fishing with Dad again so we could get some pictures for you. Jamie and I both got to pull the ice house. Jamie and me caught bluegills and I caught a crappie. My grandpa is fishing in Minnesota right now! I'd like to see my picture on Ice Leaders. We'll send you an e-mail with some pictures. We'll let you know the next time we go ice fishing.

Jessie

Hi Jamie and Jessie,
Thanks for the pictures. I'll get them up soon. Your smiles put a big smile on my face.

Here is one picture now. Wait till you see the other three. Nice!!!!

glacier-jessie-jamie-laurie1.jpg

Great picture girls!!! Looks like a fun FAMILY outing. I can't wait to get my Glacier III shelter so I can drag my wife and daughter out (on occasion). I'm glad I ordered the III instead of the II, looks like plenty of room. I wish all families enjoyed the outdoors together more... probably be less problems when they grew up?
Tight lines!

• 8 months later...

I loved these posts last year and they are one of the reasons I ordered my Glacier 3 (along with a croxton pond bag) last week.
After seeing ice on a pond I was camped next to while elk hunting 2 weeks ago I knew it was time to get my shelter! Cant wait to set it up in the family room! Has anyone used a 3 for a solo shelter? Wondering how it is for 1 person, too big!!?? You know, with the cool temps we are seeing in Montana, it wont be long till we have early ice. Maybe this will be a year for Thanksgiving ice here in the Flathead valley!!

Mike Howe
Kalispell, MT

Hi Mike,
these babies are definitely light enough and easy enough for 1 person to use.

What do you think of the Glacier 3 person shelter? How is the set-up time and weight?

These babies really serve the purpose for a High Quality, Portable shelter for those on a budget or looking to lighten their load with a quick, easy set-up.

Hi Rick and all,

Got the Glacier 3 on Fri and the bag on Thurs. AWESOME!

The shelter is great, sets up easy, even the 1st time, and is quality construction. I am absolutely pleased and well worth the money. I have a bad back and while I over do it from time to time out of necessity, this is one 3 person shelter that ANYONE can handle by themselves.

The croxton bag is also very cool. You are right, while others are messing with their gear and setting up poorly designed shelters I will be warm and fishing!!

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

How durable is the sled? I remember Rick saying something about putting something on the bottom if you plan on pulling it with your ATV or snowmobile. I looked at the Otter sleds yesterday and the one I want with the sled and hitch is way too costly (Around $600). The Glacier III is around $300 with everything.

Wobbler,
the Glacier sled is very durable. It's similar in thickness to the Fish Traps plastic. As you probably know, the Otter has a thicker plastic than either if the other two.

I recommend putting Plastic Hyfax runners on the bottom of any sleds that will be pulled extensively behind a motor vehicle, even the Otter. It protectds the sled bottoms nicely. It's easy to do and I'm sure someone here can steer you to the best places to get your plastic runners and how to install them.

You are right about the Otters being expensive. They are nice units.

The Glacier III is actually only $249.99.
Click here for more info on the Glacier Line

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-27-2002).]

Rick,

Where can I get one of the Glacier III's? Are they available for pickup in the Twin Cities?

TL

Just call the toll free number:
(866) 523-0980

You can either have it sent to you or arrange to pick one up. Whatever works best for you.

It's easy either way.

You will appreciate the Glacier III Ice Shelter.

Very light and durable units.

GoodFishin smile.gif
Rick

• 2 weeks later...

$199 for the 2 man is very reasonable.. it's about $50 less than what the retail stores around here want for theirs. Hmm.. might have to consider it. Power auger comes first this year; hoever wink.gif All I have right now is one of those one man "flip over" houses. I think it's kinda dumb why you have to register those kind. It makes sence for houses that do more than one man or need to be "set up". Atleast they should have a very minimal fee compared to the others; afterall there's not much to them. Like motorless boats under 9'-- you don't need to register them; so why do you need to Register one man "clam" type houses?

Everything Rick has told you about the Glacier tents and then some is true. I got the 3-man last season. 26lbs., sets up in 30 seconds, comfortable, and roomy.
But, I'm also thinking about selling mine.
The reason being I don't need that much room. I thought I'd get the big one because most huts I've bought in the past have not been as roomy as advertised. (ie) most 2-man shelters are actually big enough for one and a small amount of gear, and so on. Well, the glacier is exactly as advertised, and I fish alone so like I said, I don't need that much room.

Hey Crawlerman & herb,
the two man and three man are both priced nicely.

The 3 man is roomy, yet still very light.

I like the three man for the extra room and they are both very light. They glide over the snow and ice. Very economical portable fish houses.

The sled is not like the drawing I put up (square box) It is a sled designed to glide and track over the snow and ice easily..

Those of you who used a Glacier last year, what do you think about them?

If you have a Glacier, please tell us what you think about it?

We'd love to hear what you have to say.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-28-2002).]

I am a rookie at this ice fishing thing. I went out a few times with a buddy last year and got hooked. I am looking for some sort of shelter this year for going out on my own. I like the sounds of the Glacier. IS their somewhere I can go to look at one befoe I buy it??? I guess I am old scholl and like to "kick the tires" first.

Call toll free: 866 523-0980. They will set you up to see it.

You can also call to order one and have it shipped to you, your choice.

We're going to be out ice fishing soon. Now is the time to get your Glacier.

It's light, durable, fast set-up, tracks easily on the snow/ice, holds your gear, and friends/family will love getting out with you in your Glacier 2-3 person.

Call the number above or

Click here to see it, get more info, and order online

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-14-2002).]

Great Question Walleye Soldier,
The Glacier II & III comes ready to go out of the box. Unlike some of the more expensive shelters out there.

New technology and simplicity are what allows everyone to save money on the Glacier.

It's also what keeps it so light, well built using top technology, and fast to set-up.

It is indeed a powerful combination that benefits all of us Ice Anglers.

I bought my Glacier 3 sight unseen and could not be happier with it. It is everything Rick (and others) say it is. If you can afford it, by all means go to any sporting goods store and plunk down $300-$500 for an Otter or Frabil etc. But if you are on a budget, or want a house you can move around yourself, go with the Glacier, you will not be disappointed. It is fast to set up, looks durable enough ( but put something on the bottom of the runners, I put about 6 strips of duct tape down each runner, we will see how that lasts!)and is roomy enough to sit 3 comfortably. I also bought a Fish Trap scout this year for when I am out by myself. If I had to give one of them up it would be the trap.

Bottom line, buy the Glacier, its worth every penny and then some.

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

Hey MJ,
I told you you would love that Glacier out in Montana.

What do your friends say?

Ric,
I have not had it on a lake yet but the 2 fellas I have shown it to were very impressed. One of them had just been drooling over all the HT, Otters and Frabils at the local sporting goods store and was very impressed with the glacier. If it ever gets cold again around here (we had HIGHS only in the teens just 2 weeks ago, and now we are pushing mid 40's) I will be showing off my Fishing Minnesota gear, Croxton bag, glacier 3 and Angel eyes and Glowdevil lures!!

Keep up the excellent work on the site and with the best fishing gear available!!

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

I am just curious about how sturdy the shelter is. I am a large lad and just wondering if there is a seat like the otters and traps or if you bring your own chair. If there is a seat will it sit a big gorrilla like me? 6'5" almost 300 lbs? Thanks, I am thinking seriously about getting one.

I have a buddy of mine who would make you look small! The Glacier III has no seats, but plenty of room for a couple of guys your size. Just bring along your favorite bucket or chair. I've had my family of 4 in ours several times. COME ON ICE!

FLB