• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

glacier ice shelter

skinnylee

RICK I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE OF THE GLACIER SHELTER SET UP WERE ARE THEY MADE OR ARE THEY IN ANY STORE YET LIKE THE WEIGHT FOR EARLY ICE

------------------

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

These will be difficult to find this year. They may be in a few stores in very limited quantities. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Cabelas likes them and wants them, but are not likely to be in for a bit yet. The manufacturer expects to sell out this years quantity rather quickly, so I asked for what I thought would be enough to keep us supplied here.

I've already had a number of inquiries with intent to purchase.

These units are light with durable canvas covers. The collapsible aluminum frames on the 2 & 3 angler uits flip up with the canvas attached (via velcro wraps). There is a support to keep the front and back bars apart and another support for the bottom piece.

That's it, flip up, expand the frames, put in the supports and it's ready.

The manufacturer says it takes a minute to set-up, but realistically, once you have it down, it can be done in 30 seconds.

As for the Ice Scout(ATV) and Side Angler(snowmobile) these are some slick units if you're into being really mobile.

Sorry skinnylee. I know I didn't help you out enough. You can always purchase and if you you don't like it, return it in new condition and we'll refund your money.

You'll like I'm sure.

Cabelas in Owatonna has one set up. I've fished out of a Sno-boat for 15 years and the Glacier is very similar but 1/2 the weight. The only negative I saw to the Glacier is you can't stand up in it unless you are 5'4". Although you can't stand up in a Fishtrap Guide(2-man) or the Otter II either which is the style I am going to try this year. All in All I like the Glacier and you can't beat the price.

whats the sled like on the three man model? would i be able to throw all my gear in there during transport like the auger and heater and still have it covered up. also is there a way to towbar on there to haul behind the snowmobile?

You can toss your gear in, you can get a hitch assembly for your ATV/Snowmobile, and a cover is available as well.
It will be up on the site tomorrow.

Thanks Judd for the Cabelas update.

http://fishingminnesota.com/glacier.html

Rick,
Do you have the three man model in stock. I'd like to try one this year. What is the sled like? From what I read in the stored dimentions description, it looks like the sled is just a piece of flat plastic. How do I get hold of you?

The three man Glacier is similar to the snowboat sled. It is about 4 inches high.

As a matter of fact, the three man glacier is very similar to the snowboat. The differances would be in construction of the canvas which is attached to the sled better and the sewing is heavy duty. It has zippered doors on both ends and a window across the entire front. The window has a flip up piece if you want to cover it.

The set-up is easier and heavy duty as well. I'll try to draw a picture for you guys and put a link to it on the Glacier page. It's really slick. You just flip up the two ends and snap a brace on. Flip the front out over the ice. Then slide another brace for the extension of canvas over the holes. I did it in 24 seconds. The snoboat was a bit more painful.

http://fishingminnesota.com/glacier.html

You can also call me at (507) 455-1504

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-19-2001).]

I drew an picture of the inside of a Glacier- 2-3 angler models. I'm no artist, but I believe it will give you the picture smile.gif

Here is an inside view of how the 2-3 angler Glaciers set-up:
http://fishingminnesota.com/glacier-inside.html

Please be patient while the big pic loads.
It doesn't take too long though.

Eh not bad Rick on the illustration, can you do the same for the ATV and sled models too?

I have had a lot of interest in the ATV model directed my way but I can not fill in much untell I get to see one up close.

The Glacier sled is an easily pulled unit if that is what you are asking. The sled material is comparable to the Fishtrap or Sno-boat made by the Clam people. The Fishtrap is an easy set-up, the sno-boat is a bit more complicated.

The Clam is a bit tough to pull loaded down. The Clam folds into a suitcase, is that the one you are talking about? It's not the easiest unit to pull or set-up.

Ditto...ordered one yesterday on Rick's recommendation. I figured it would work great for my wife and 7&8 year old girls while I move around in the "trap".
FLB

i ordered a glacier 3 man today, i also got the towing bar and cover. when i get ill tell you all how i like it.

The cover for the two angler is $34.99 and the three angler is $44.99

Looking forward to your comments Shannon.

Please note: the sled is similar in make-up to the sno-boat. If you're going to do heavy duty hauling behind an ATV or Snowmobile, I would attach a couple of thick plastic runners to minimize wear and tear.

If you're pulling by hand, it should be fine as is. It's light.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-19-2001).]

rick, how long does it usually take to get the house, i know it hasnt even been a week but im the type of person that cant wait for anything, even though we dont got ice. also that tackle city jig kit is worth way more than the price im very happy with it. thanks smontanye

I love that Panfish Jig Kit as well. I have it sitting next to me as I work. I keep thinking Panfish, you're in trouble soon.

Anyway,
the first three Glacier 3 anglers have shipped yesterday, the rest may have shipped today..I'm not sure. I hear ya, it's hard to wait. Let us know what you think when you get it. I really like it for the price. If I get time I'll have to get out fishing with you this winter.

I Opened the box and set the Glacier 3 up in the living room. It would have been sooner, but my wife was hiding it from me since it's arrival earlier in the week. She wasn't being malicious - just mischievous. She knew I was looking for it every day. My girls are having fun pretending they're ice fishing.

My initial impressions:
- LIGHT! less than half the weight of most, and probably a third of a Sno Boat 3 man
- QUICK! set up the first time (without reading the instructions, of course) in about 40 seconds
- ROOMY! My wife and I and 7 & 8 year old girls can easily use it together, although I think there's just enough room for 3 to be fishing. Should be excellent for 2 including all gear.
- TALL! I'm 5'10" and can almost stand up straight.
- BLACK! should be very warm (maybe too warm on sunny days?)

This is not the outfit for the hard core ice angler due to it's lightweight construction, but it seems to be well-constructed and should work well for a second house, especially if you do a lot of pulling by hand or if trying to get to remote lakes. I can already envision times when this sled will travel with me instead of the 2 man Trap. Come to think of it, I should have bought 2 of them for the times we might take another couple along with us...you could actually set one on top of the other and pulling both units would still be less weight than most every other option on the market.

The only down side I can see is that my trusty OLD home made 4 holer will probably never get used again...if walls could talk!

FLB

The Glacier is a pretty nifty unit. I'm pretty fussy about my portables and the manufacturer really caught my attention, then when I saw the unit, especially compared to the snoboat, it wins hands down (in my ever so humble opinion smile.gif ).

Has anyone else received theirs yet? What do you think?

flb, I must be the weakest link tonight, but I gotta ask, what is a pony clamp?
I'll go out to the shop and set it back up and have the wife blow on it to see if it needs the extra bracing---OUCH ++++ SHE HIT ME!!!!

i got my three man today. i can say that its worth the price, the only thing im probaly going to do is to add runners on the bottom so i dont wreck the sled, thanks rick.