• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

clearwater bass

i was on clearwater wednesday. i rentured onto the main lake for the first time. i only managed four fish in four hours. i thought the weeds on the main lake would be better. do the weeds come up better latter on in the year. i went out on clearwater last year on the northwest side of the lake and found one good weedline turn that seems to hold fish, but i have problems getting much else going. the only lakes in the area like cedar and sylvia twin i have had a blast.

I have spent the last four days fishing on Clearwater, and I have a number of observations. First, to answer Sicheneder's question. The property owners' association has been particularly vigerous with their milfoil erradication this year, and the result is they have killed A TON of good habitat in this lake. I admire their work and honor their reasons, but it has made fishing unreliable and a continual expedition of exploration...even for those of us who fish on the lake alot. That is why you are having trouble. Second, on the east basin, the best spots are on the very eastern bay, by the private launch (4-7' nice cabbage, lots of bass); on the west basin north side by entrance to Grass Lake (lots of nice habitat; good trolling run with raps). Third, we caught a number of nice bass (2-4lbs), and a full one third of them had purple lesions on the side or sores around the mouth area. What the hell is this, a parasite, catch and release gone bad or too much chemical coming down the river and herbicide in the lake? Anyone who knows, please answer. Last, to the JERKS who were fishing in the bass tourney Sunday...LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A BOAT! Every one of you guys needs a lesson in the rules of the road..especially at 60+ mph. Remember, you are GUESTS on every lake you travel to! People who have spent good money to own property there (and get ZILCH from your tourney $$$)deserve a modicum of respect. We should not have to abandon the lake everytime you show up. I saw one of you blow past a 24' pontoon (loaded with kids) on your way to the launch in the Black Pool (nearly swamp it), and then plow through the single boat channel at 60 mph, only to realize the pool was jammed with boats, and have to run your 200+_hp motor in full reverse to avoid an accident. My dad and I felt like we had to have eyes in the backs of our heads all day the way you were blowing around the lake. So, if any of you fished that tourney and are reading this...GROW UP. We are happy to have you on the lake, but have some respect.

[This message has been edited by LakeCenterRefugee (edited 06-29-2004).]

LCR, couldn't agree with you more. A couple of years ago, I witnessed the same behavior from pros during a tournament sponsored by a large retailer from Nebraska.

Check the archieves...

------------------
"Nothing says business in the front and party in back like a good mullet."

LCR, You seem to be lumping all tournament anglers together when you refer to their driving skills. You gave two examples of poor or dangerous driving for a tournament which had 50 boats entered in it. As a tournament angler, I take offense to that. Yes, some people get carried away and drive dangerously, but as a whole they are good drivers and they follow the boating safety rules. Don't let a few bad apples put a bad taste in your mouth for the group as a whole. I'm sure you've witnessed non-tournament anglers drive erratically before and not lashed out at them in print before, so please lets not let this get into an tournament angler bashing forum.
p.s. I was not in that tournament if you were wondering.

One of the issues with Clearwater is that it isn't that big of a lake. Another is that is it full of structure that not everybody is used to seeing. Heck, I've fished the lake close to 30 times in the last 2 1/2 years, and I'm still learning the lake. The problem that I've seen first hand(both tournament and non-tournament anglers) is that they are runing wide open in areas of the lake that a lot of people wouldn't dream of. Weather it be shallow areas or blind spots through the E.V. some folks chose to take risks that a lot of us don't. To each their own, I guess, but I don't want to put un-needed repairs into my lower unit.

If anyone sees an aluminum Ranger gingerly working their way through the lake, that's me! Never seen another aluminum Ranger on Clearwater, or even in MN for that matter.

------------------

Bassguy. You know who I am talking about. There are quite a few tourneys every summer on Clearwater, and my message is to those who will participate in those up coming. Those who can operate a boat with respect to residents and others on the lake, you know who you are, and my message was not aimed at you. However, I saw so much reckless behavior this weekend, that I was prompted to post the message, even if it reaches some by second hand. Those, who I assume who are like you, and respect the bodies of water they fish and others using the lake, will let it be known to those that don't that the police are a cell phone call away, and I will carry mine on this lake the rest of the summer. Happy fishing, and be safe. My kids are swimming out there.

P.S. Notorius. I have seen lots of fiberglass Rangers, but very few aluminum. The Commanche. Heard it is a good boat. I have a VS 690, which rides very sweet in rough water. Do you know anyone reliable to work on electrical on a Ranger? I will not take my boat to Crystal Pierz, unless my very life depends on it. Thanks!

PPS: I will keep an eye out for you on Clearwater...working gingerly! You will likely find me drifting and casting.

It's been a couple of weeks since I was out there, but they were in shollow bays.

[This message has been edited by NotoriousBLM (edited 06-29-2004).]

thank you for your tips and concerns. i was able to go out thursday and battle the winds again. i was able to find some fish but they were relating to places were deep water came close to the bank and also one point. i was able to go back over some of the spots and catch more fish. thanks

LCR,

It is actually called a Cherokee! It's been a real good boat. The Cherokee's hull is really a Fish Hawk made by Crestliner up in Little Falls. Then they shipped it down to Flippin for the guts to be installed. My buddies give me **** about the boat, but it works pretty good for me. It is getting small for our family outings, so I will be looking for something larger next year.

If you need electrical work done, I would head to Frankies. I'm not a fan of C-P either.

Finally, if want to see a very rare aluminum boat, when you're heading up river into Augusta, look to your right at the red cabin just before the bridge. You'll see an aluminum Warrior sitting in the grass.

------------------

Notorious: Thanks for the referral on the electrical problem. Much appreciated. Hope you have a great summer of fishing.

what kind of weed structure do the bass hold to in the middle of summer on Clearwater? i am used to fishing bullrushes in the am deep cabbage during the day up north.

how deep are the weedlines on Clearwater? What depth do the bass usaully hang on the outside weedlines?

Early this week, we were catching nice large mouth bass in 4-8 feet of water, with cabbage topping out about 1-3 feet from the top. Did not have much luck in the bull rushes. Again, a number of the fish had purple lesions or sores. I don't know what this is, but it was on the biggest bass. Also caught a couple of nice northern in the same areas (big fish with no lesions, so I don't know what's up with the bigger bass).

LCR,

I'll be out tomorrow, if you're out too, keep an eye out for me. You'll know me when you see me, LOL.

------------------

Notorious: I am still paying at work for my four days off last week fishing, so I won't be out tomorrow. Work. Work. Work. Maybe later in the weekend or for a couple of days early next week. I have to leave town on busines all of the next week, so I will be getting in some fishing b/4 I have to go. Work. Work. Work. If you see a green Ranger Fisherman with Johnson motors...that's me. Come on over and say "HI." Good luck and tight lines!

Fished it last night. Pulled about dozen out of 10-12 feet water on plastics. Biggest fish was 16 inches but most were about 13-14. Never found the bigger ones. I have a green Ranger fishermen too so it could be me that you come up and say hi too as well.

Hey Lake Center ,, I have been seeing the same types of guys as yourself out the lake and it is not only the tourny guys. I will say thou that the tourny guys are the worst ones i have witnessed .I have seen them do carp like run over a Loons. 1 of the pair never did pop back up after they dived to get out of his way.1 day last week i had 1 ***** that i think was pre fishing race is fancy dancy bass boat between me and the tight weed edge i was fishing to gwet to the boat launch and i wasnt even fishing one of the tight areas of the lake. since there was a line at the launch i reeled up and drove over and kept cutting him off from getting to the launch till he had a thourh embarassing Butt chewing in front of the rest of the people there . I have heard excuses like well i am fishing a tourny and used that against them by saying that there is rules about how close they are supposed to be to other fishermaen and maybe should go up to the weigh in and lodge my grips with those in charge of their tourny.

LCR,,, 1 satisfaction i get out of it is when 1 of those *****s finds one of those hazards of this lake and tears up the boat.

I spent Friday trying to figure out the day time walleye bite, both weed line and deeper with no luck. I need to book an outing with Nav! Anyway after getting skunked for 4 hours, I spent the last hour and a half flippin a jig and pig for bass. Biggest were 16 -17". It's amazing how close to the ramp you can find big fish...

------------------

Was out on Saturday, caught lots of fish but most were only about 12-14", i fished weedlines and shallow, where are the bigger fish? Is there something i need to key in on?

Anyone been out this week? Any updates? Are the fish moving into there summer haunts finally?