• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mayflies?

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Anyone know when the mayfly hatch is going to hit the big lake??

Well if you were on the lake this weekend then you already know the answer. It hit pretty big. They were everywhere by Saturday, and yes the bite was much slower due to that fact. Fish were still being caught, but not like the last 4 weeks!

bigeyes,
I was up there on Sat. morning on the southwest end and the flies were so thick you couldn't open your mouth. Those aren't Mayfly's though, I'm not exactly sure what the real name for them is, I just call them lake flies or fish flies. Mayfly's are larger and have thin membrane wings something similar to dragon flies, when they hatch and come to the surface they sit on the surface of the water to dry their wings before they fly, also when Mayflies hatch the whole surface of the lake is covered with the shells they hatch out of.

Ole

If the flies hatch you witnessed wasn't mayflies then I suspect the big hatch you experienced were caddis fly. I was on the lake a year ago this weekend and a huge caddis hatch was coming off the lake at that time. Caddis swim directly from the bottom to the surface and then lite3rally pop out of out of the water. They donot require time on the surface of the water to dry their wings.

I was up Saturday, could only take if for about 3 hours. 2 different sizes of flies, about 1/2" and about 1/4". I've heard the larger ones referred to as 'lake flies'. The small ones coated my boat - most didn't even blow off on the trip home.
gte

The flies in question, as of 6-13 are they still as bad today as they were on Sat? Also, are they still going to be around this weekend?