• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Directions to Millstone?

Can anyone post directions to Millstone from the NW suburbs? Live in Coon Rapids. Love to go after some walleyes. Thanks for any replys!

------------------
Hey, you're bobber's down!!

no no i would take 10 to 25 to 106 around the corner thru the stop sign around another sharp corner then to stop sign,bust a right go down the road turn by the cemetaryor the other way works to

[This message has been edited by dewoutdoor70 (edited 02-07-2004).]

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Let 'em open up a mapbook...next thing you'll know, he'll be asking you to drill his holes for him and set-up his portable too...on the "hot spot", you know the one...right at the bottom of the access.

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 02-07-2004).]

I fished Millstone out last night. I went there with 75 hp (Canadian-made!) Ridgid Wet-Dry Vac ($2,394 sugg. retail) and sucked out the remaining 43 fish...and distributed them to the Monticello Veterans Friday Fish Fry...they gave me a hug, which I really needed at the time.

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 02-07-2004).]

your lucky the gamewarden wasnt out there,do you realize what that would cost? then he would of drove around for days with them in the back of his truck

Yes...it would have cost me $5160 for the "over the daily limit" fines, plus another $860 restitution, for a total of $6020. But I would have fought it. I don't think our game warden has legible handwriting...

Well, I hardly think that asking for directions to a lake is the same as "drilling my holes and setting up my portable on the hot spot". But, hey, what the hell...there's plenty lakes to be fished. You little boys just keep fishin your secret little lake but realize that on your report cards, where it asks does he work and play well with others its gonna say "needs improvement"! Your allowance may be slashed and possibly, no more nintendo!!!

------------------

why would you want to fish a lake that has been Hammered so hardthe way these guys have said anyhow? personally i would find fish elsewhere wink.gif

Icerookie

go to map quest dot com and enter maple lake Mn go north on Hwy.#8 out of town until you see a lake that looks like a duck head pointing east.Bingo .This is just south of Hwy.#39 west. Now when you get on the lake go north east and you'll see a few houses on the north center of the lake stay on the north east side of this group of houses .Try a small perch jigging rap with a head only .drop this to the bottom (about 6') jig a few times then hold still as you can.or try a small gold buck shot jigging spoon in the same manner. Good luck .Metro

Rockhard...I "do" fish elsewhere...Got my limit of nice crappies on Chisago last night. I just figured I'd post a sarcastic reply to those who posted them to me. I could care less if they gave the directions to the lake...I talked to a friend who fished Millstone on Friday and got his limit of eyes before sundown. He gave me very good directions, however, I didn't realize that it was getting "that" hammered until i talked to him. Personally, I don't like fishing a lake or pond that is that crowded, whether the fishing is great or not. I like the solitude of fishing. I allways try and fish away from the villages or common "hot spots" on any lake i fish. I like finding the fish myself in areas that aren't crowded. And Metro 1, thanks for the directions and fishing tips, however, I'll be leaving that lake alone. Too many other places to fish in peace and quiet, which to me, is half the pleasure of fishing.

------------------

That is the pleasure and fun of fishing quiet times to spend with your friends and family. Friday afternoon a friend of mine heard of a good lake but some what difficult to get to so we were off. First I buried my truck and had to shovel for 45 min. finally got out went to plan two, his sons 250 Yamaha enticer well with two up on that and all our gear ...well it didn't go like my cartoon bubble pictured so we got that stuck three times and one was on a hill going out of this lake and I had to pull the otter sled up the hill "whew".I had never fished this lake and all we could find was 5' of water. off to the next lake and we fished in 21' of water and I got a few hits but my fishing bud got a 3" perch. We worked for 3 hrs. and fished for 1 1/2. But that's the fun of fishing. Trying something new! Metro

dewoutdoor70...does that question really need to be answered? If you didn't feel like giving directions, then just don't reply! Negative reply's serve no purpose other than satisfying your need to instigate something. Good luck on your little lake.

------------------

And you guy's wonder why people don't reply much anymore!!! GO FIGURE..... Icerookie YOUR NOT MISSING MUCH!!!!!! This board is suppose to be about fishing, but that has been minimal at best.

Yes, People do like to stir the pot on this board and also other boards, just cant say anything nice Ive noticed some here that do that. Its like they never caught a fish before so wont tell. Icerookie I was going to ask where Millstone was but I knew what the answer would be but you asked for me. If I wanted to go I would pull the book out and find it. But dont really need it like you say lots of lakes to fish Good fishing To all sportsman.

What's funny is that we're trying to protect the little 100 acre, 7' deep pond. It has had no less than 50 vehicles and houses setup in about a 1 acre area. Apparently, that must be where all the fish are. I've fished the lake 4 times...with general disgust at the amount of people crowding into one another. I mean, sometimes there's 3 or 4 feet between houses and vehicles! Disrespectful and dangerous. Found myself hoping the ice would crack open...just to show these people they shouldn't do that. I fished well away from the group 2 times and the other 2 times I fished inside the grouping earlier than anyone else...then left when the people started showing up.

Icerookie...I'm sorry for sounding so sarcastic, but understand that I was "defending my territory". I know it's not my lake and that it's also going to suffer winterkill...but I hate seeing all these people coming from everywhere because there's a "walleye bite going on!" There are 200 of these DNR sanctioned walleye rearing ponds throughout the state...find another one, so this one can rest in peace.

Metro 1...if I recall, you were the one that started this mess!!! Here's your original post:
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum59/HTML/000330.html

...why the sudden change in attitude? grin.gif

------------------
"Please...allow me to pick up your trash for you!!!!"

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 02-08-2004).]

That one linked is on keeping things off the internet . This ones about driving directions. I think you have the two mixed up. Metro 1

I hate to throw fuel on the fire but here goes.

If this is a DNR rearing pond, don't they want to get all the mature walleyes out of there so they don't eat the young of year walleyes they put in there? Otherwise the larger walleyes just get fat on the young and they don't meet their fry objectives.

Nobody wants to see a small area get hammered or littered. But if people are respectful of the resource, these guys are doing the fishery a favor by getting the larger ones out. And I would rather see somebody eat them than have them winterkill.

WALLEYEHAWK You are absolutely right, these types of waters are not meant to be sustainable fisheries why not fish them so somebody can get some use out of them. everybody has paid for these fish in one way or another not just the locals. the cost of the dnr stocking program is very expensive and to let these fish go to waste after the expense that has went into them is foolish to me. these types of waters are selected in the hopes that there wont be any carryover. for the people that dont like the crowds go someplace else. I was there the first week or so after it got started, I went not knowing what they were catching, I was hoping for a few nice sunfish as there have been a handful there in the past. I did catch a couple of sunfish too but it was pretty much a walleye thing. I didnt go back. I personally dont get that excited about catching a bunch of small walleyes. Some people do and thats fine but to try to protect something that isnt yours in the first place escpecially when it is proably not going to live, to me is just selfish.

ackotz - there's no need to apologize, but, since you did, its accepted. I have a suggestion for you however: If you truly want Millstone to rest in peace, then quit fishing it yourself. I mean, come on...you said yourself you've fished it 4 times. And I assume you mean 4 times since the "hot walleye bite" started. You don't need to "defend your territory" against the likes of me, who, after hearing what type of pressure was on that small lake, decided not to fish it even once! As far as the overcrowding in specific areas on "any" lake, that just boggles my brain, too. Personally, I think permanent shacks should be banned. We all know that the "villages" are set up on the prime structure on any lake, and they mostly consist of permanent ice shacks. Ice fishing should be "portables only", that way, no one person or group of people can "hog" the prime structure on any given lake. But, thats another discussion. Anyway, I didn't know that Millstone was a DNR rearing pond! I also didn't know that people were allowed to fish on sanctioned DNR rearing ponds. Whats goin on??

------------------

Metro 1...experiencing those times are what makes the "good times" seem even better! Of course, "any" time your fishing is considered a "good time", right? Hopefully, your next adventure will produce better results. Good luck!

------------------

ice rookie,if you could care less,why did you ask for directions in the first place

ice rookie my directions would have gotten you there,as far as the pond goes ,im not sure i heard about it from a friend,probally a month after they started fishing it,someone said it was posted on the dnr site,not sure of that ,i never found it,i believe they wanted it fished out,and hopefully froze out,so they could start over,would be better to see people eating those fish instead of birds in my opinion,i havent been there since last weekend,and they were bitting good then,so probally still arewhat i seen there were two year classes 12to 13 and 15to 16 heard there were bigger ones,but i never seen them

Icerookie...haven't been there in 3 weeks, due to the influx of people/poachers.
As for you people who rely on finding the "hot bite" on the internet...go ahead, fish it (you lazy sloths). After all, it's a free country and a public lake.

I, personally, would rather spend my time researching potential lakes, in lieu of catching fish, if not for just having a great time fishing (not necessarily "catching"). I enjoy getting outside, finding new spots (which Millstone was for me, until I saw it getting raped and poached [DNR was out citing people]), and the challenge of finding and possibly catching fish. For me numbers mean absolutely nothing! I've never limited out and have no real desire to. Most of the time, it's "catch and release" for me...unless the wife says "bring home some fish this time"... grin.gif

As far as, why the DNR is letting people fish this rearing pond? It's because they'll plant in the spring, net in the fall, and after a few years, pull up the stakes ("DNR REARING POND- KEEP OUT"), and move on to another prairie wetland type pond...

------------------
"Please...no, really...allow me to pick up your trash for you...after all, that is why I fish."

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 02-09-2004).]

Maybe everyone should go fishing to COOL DOWN!!!! I know where they're biting. OOOOHHH wait I can't say. P.S. It is on the DNR website. I knew I couldn't keep a secret. <LIGHTEN UP> Good fishing everyone.

Has any one ate any of those walleye's out of Millstone yet? By the looks of the water color that farmer on the hill has been letting his feed lot drain right in the lake! Talk about some green water, I am totally on board with fishing it out, the more walleyes that make through each year hurts the stocking for the next, this duck slough was chosen for a rearnig pond for just that reason.