• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

perch in Clearwater

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids last night, and somebody had put on the fishing board that perch were biting in CLearwater in 17' to 24' of water. Does anyone know if there are respectable perch out there? Potential at jumbos? I just started fishing this lake this last year and have been impressed with the quality of the crappies/walleyes/bluegills, and it would be just another plus to add some perch on top of it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I believe that Clearwater does have a population of yellow (jumbo) perch based on the netting surveys published, but I have never caught one or seen one. There are some very nice sized green perch in the lake, but they dont taste very good in my opinion. It would be my guess that the guy with the report was catching green perch.

Clearwater does have a healthy population of Yellow Perch but unfortunately they don't often get to the "jumbo" size. On the other hand, they provide excellent forage for the larger game fish in the lake.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "Green Perch".

Green perch are most often sunfish (Lepmois cyanellus). Some say they are a cross between perch and bluegill, but I doubt it.

------------------

I have caught "keepable" perch on Clearwater, but never seen a "football" come out of there. Plenty of little ones to feed the Pike and Walleye, but not a fishable population of big perch.

And I agree there are NO "green" perch! wink.gif

I grew up on clearwater but have never seen perch that would be considered jumbos. I am curious where that report came from. However I would agree with the quality of other species of fish. It seems in many other local lakes, fish have been steadily declining in size. I can honesty say that cleawaters fish have gotten a lot more respectable the last couple of years.

I agree with Rocky. I have lived on Clearwater for the past 8 years and haven't landed a perch to brag about. Clearwater is an excellent lake for all other species and the size of some are worth bragging about. I also fish Augusta and do well on it. My neighbor had an excellent winter with his spear house on Augusta.