• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Perfect Woman?

Blaze

Sat, 6/1 is my anniversary. When I asked my wife what she wanted to do to celebrate, she said "Let's go fishing on Mille Lacs!" After picking up my jaw from the floor, I calmly replied, "Anything for you, Sweetheart."

So here's where I need your help: I want to take this opportunity to REALLY hook my wife on walleye fishing. I hit the lake on 5/19 for about 2 hours and pulled 14 'eyes using jigs/minnows right out of Garrison (20-24' of water). Anyone still having that kind of luck with jigs/minnows (if so, what colors?)or is it time to make the switch to spinner rigs w/crawlers or leeches (again, certain colors work best?)? We're planning on going right out of Garrison again and working some rocks & gravel, but certainly not opposed to workin' the mud if the bite is on.

Thanks in advance for the input. And to answer the soon to be asked questions, yes, she is EXTREMELY married and yes, she does have a sister (also married tho). =)

We were out last night on Garrison Reef and did really well. Boats were pulling in walleyes left and right. Anywhere from 14-20 feet. We used lindys with leeches. One boat was using bullet sinkers with leeches. Moving real slow. The weight was not on the bottom. About 1-2 feet off the bottom and there were doing great!

Get lots of leeches and get ready. The action is fast.

If it is calm, anchor in about 14 feet and use slip bobbers. WOW! The only problem we had was there is sooooo much "cotton" on the water that is messes with the slip rig.....

Hope this helps...enjoy!

------------------
Take a kid fishing today!

Try St. Albans Bay in 17-20 ft of water. last two weekends were real good. I concur the bullet sinkers were the trick. My old man outfished me two to one and i had a tradtional lindy sinker on (I still caught nine fish). Use 8-10 ft snells with a plain hook. The bigger the leech the better. When I visit on this Saturday you better believe I will have a ton of those bullet sinkers in my tackle box.

Maybe your wife should talk to mine. I can only dream of her saying someting like "I wanna go fishing on Mille Lacs". Last time we were out 2.5 years ago it was in the middle of a fish fly hatch. The irony of it all was we were still catching fish, big ones for that matter (8 fish over 28"). But the hatch has traumatized my wife forever and doubt she will be back on the water for a long long time. :-)

I am one of the lucky ones. My wife and I fish together at least 3 days per week. The last 2 weekends on Mille Lacs,(With success) and this weekend on the St Croix, Up by Taylors Falls. It is difficult to get off the water sometimes.

------------------
Nick

Blaze-

I will more than likely be there sometime during the day. I am fishing out of my buddies boat, a new Ranger 620. If we see your crestliner, I will make sure to drift/troll on by. I mentioned bullet sinkers and I was mistaken, they are the egg sinkers that worked well.

The reason I know that is I went to Gander in Bloomington at Lunch and they were completely sold out! My old man was using 3/4 size and the had nothing in that size and larger. I had to buy the combo pack just so I could get my hands on some 3/4 ouncers.

Heres to good weather a little wind and one 30+ incher! Good luck!

Vikes40/60 -

Thanks for the input. We're camping on St. Alban's Bay Saturday night too, so we'll see you out on the bay during the day. We've got a black/tan Crestliner Phantom w/125 Merc. If you see us, drop by & say hi.

Happy fishin!