• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been on Buffalo

Anyone been on Buffalo since the heat wave? I am bugging out of work early today to head there and try my luck. Thought about heading out of the south access, anybody else going to be there?

was out yesterday from 3 o'clock til 9pm. 3 nice crappies all the rest were 5-6 inchers 1 small pike no eyes seen one caught at about 4pm buddy had a big pike on snapped his line at the hole. went out by the courthouse lots of open water had about 8ins where we fished.

Not good out on the lake. A number of fish houses were blown around this afternoon - some permanents hitting other houses. Kinda scary if your not paying attention in your portable and a house comes flying at you. I would say they were cruising around at 15-20mph. The most exciting things was that I was able to use my fish trap like a sailboat and I cruised across to the southside access after fishing.
Fishing is really slowing down on the lake. Not much for walleyes or northerns.

Wow talk about wind. Went out of the south access last night and fished for a couple of hours, with only two small eyes (10" and 11")but it was pretty good humor watching the fishhouse regatta. Just after sunset I heard something fast approaching from behing me and saw a clam heading out toward the thin ice signs in the middle of the lake, as fast as it was traveling I thought it was empty but the wind let up a bit and out popped a guy folded it up and walked back to where he came from. I was also able to kneel on the back of my sled and be pushed by the wind back to the truck. It beats walking.

If you have a fish house out on Buffalo - you better check on it. Was out today and witnessed two houses go through. One went down on its own after all of the wind and the changing ice. The other went down after two not-so-bright guys thought the could chisel there house out and it broke free into open water. With subzero temps on the way its not going to be fun or easy to get them out - both are retractable wheel types. There were three other house half way under that I could see on my way out.

After all this crazy weather you would think the crappie bite would be slow but surprisingly it was good. Two of us caught about 35 crappies but kept only 4 for dinner. Conditions could change drastically with colder temps on the way.

Any chance one of them was blue and on the east side of the lake? Haven't been to the house in a couple days, hope its still there!

was out on bufallo yesteday afternoon spent 2 hours getting my house off before it went in the drink. have a 6 by 12 on wheels had a 3 foot hole near front side and a smaller one near the rear. got my brotherinlaws 4 wheeler anchored to the ice good enough to finally winch it back to good ice.most of the houses on the west shore seem to be ok.they didnt get the wind as bad.ones in the middle south and east side didnt fare as well.proably about 12 t0 15 houses in real trouble mine wouldnt have made the nite. BIG LAKER you may have a problem if your house is strait out from the round bank one is through bad there. the houses by kings point appear to be ok.

Critterfur, I know the house and you are out by mine. A friend stopped to look this afternoon and told me most houses around it were fine. We moved the house Tuesday night out of 2 inches of standing water to a dry, higher level. I know that move saved the house. If you need some help freeing it up let me know. I'll be out in the green house.

Last thursday I caught a 24" over by the north shore in 21ft. of water. I also had another big guy on that fell off. No other reports other than that.

fished the deep hole on buffalo last night caught about 10 crappies, all small though4-5 to the pound. didnt get one keeper and they were biting really light caught all but 2 on bugs.

yea there were quite a few guys driving out. i drove my full size pickup out had about 15 inches where we fished.

I was out last Thursday with a friend and caught a few small crappies and three eyes in the 16" to 18" range. Went back on Sunday evening and got eight eyes, four dinks and four 16"-18". I also got surveyed (again) by the DNR. Asking what I caught, measuring caught fish etc. That makes three times in about a 30 day period. Anybody else been surveyed out there or are they just targeting me?

DIEZEL350 i dont think they are picking on you. i drive past the south landing everyday and its seldom when the dnr truck isnt parked there.the dnr,s creel census is one of the more effective tools they use.on the other hand i have fished out there a dozen times this year and havent been checked.maybe they do like you.

The last time I was on buffalo DNR surveyed me and a couple of my buddys cold as Hell and 30 mph winds and that guy out driving his 4-wheeler I thought I was crazy be out there and here comes along seemed liked nice enough guy but if it's starting to get to you just say no and how'd you rate the walleye fishing on Buffalo Lake 1 Thur 10. lol.

No I don't care if they survey me every time. I just hope they put the numbers and info to good use. And if they are surveying the same people all the time, that is not a very good representation of what is going on in the lake. The guy doing it was very friendly, he looked like he was going on an arctic expedition.

I agree. He has surveyed me a few times and I do not think they are getting good numbers. They need to re-evaluate the research process and visit multiple lakes twice. I hope they do not cut the programs but the process seems to be a "how can we spend the rest of our budget" type deal. To the best my knowledge he will not be enforcing state laws just surveying the lake. Not like I'm breaking any!! I just wish I had lots of fish for him to measure!

That dnr guy is hired to survey and just survey buffalo lake. He doesn't even check for licences. His only job there is to measure and count fish taken on buffalo lake. They are doing this to see if the lake needs special regs. because of all the fishing pressure. Hope this clears things up.

THe creel surveyer works for the fisheries division and not enforcement division. I don't know if they are doing surveys for special reg - but maybe. Usually creel surveys are done to complement trap and gill netting counts for a population estimate.