• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice on Clearwater?

Hello all,

I am curious to know if there is ice on Clearwater yet? I don't mean fishable ice, but rather...Can I still get a boat out on the lake? Are the landings iced yet? and how about the main body? Is it navigatable?

I drove through the area this weekend and there was some ice on the bays of some of the lakes. I didn't get by Clearwater, buy by judging the other lakes I would say you should be fine. It's warm out today and there's some wind. Clayton could probably speak better about Clearwater, but Pleasant, John, Cedar & Sugar were clear. Hope this helps!

Fathead,

When are you thinking of heading out on the water and would you be looking for some company? We could fish out of my boat if you don't feel like bringing yours up.

I'm stuck between the thought of going out on the water or going out on the ice. I'm anxious to get out on the ice like everyone else, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on open water fishing......too many choices. Everything will be iced up after I get back from deer hunting in WI next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to try to make it up on Friday for the evening bite, but I may not be able to get out of work in time.
I will be up Sunday for sure, unless the warm weather opens the lake back up.

Look me up: I have a teal-green, Chevy and will be out on the lake with an old, white & red Honda three-wheeler. One of us should be able to find out where & what they’re biting on!

Sounds good Johnny B. I will be out there with probally just my Black otter sled. I usually fish right off of the point on the west end. I will maybe have my really old red honda 3-wheeler or my newer red kawasaki 400. Hope to see you on fri.

Eyes’,
On Sunday there was 6-8 inches of ice on the west side.
A lot of portables and a few ATV’s on the usual deep holes.
Have heard a few reports of crappies and some eyes, but no details.

Thanks Johnny, I think I will be out on the west side friday evening outside of the bay by the pay and launch looking for some eyes

Hey Johnny, I'm heading out to clearwater for sure tommorow. Are you going to be able to make it? I'm hoping that I will be out there around 3:00- 3:30.

Unfortunately, is does not look like I will be able to get out of work until late afternoon. So if the ice is still in good condition, I will be heading up on Sunday for sure. Do you think that you might go back then?
I only check the Forum Monday-Friday, 9-5, hope that you get this message before you head up!

I fished Clearwater over the weekend. Not a very productive trip: only a few crappies to show for. I did talk with a couple of other guys and seems as though they did about as well or as poorly, as I did.

Eyes, did you make it up? If so how did you fare?

Two 1 pound eyes in 14 feet out from BJ Bait.
Perch color spoon and shiner on a tipup.
7-8 inches of ice.

Retro

Johnny, Me and two others were out on friday and only caught one 12in. walleye. Very slow, didn't even mark many fish. Where are they all?

Apparently Ret-ro knows where they are!
Nice fish, any numbers or just those two?

I think part of my problem is that I was a little too deep. I didn’t have a lot of time to scout much, so I set up near one of the permanent shacks in 35 feet of water. Did well in that area last year thru early ice, but that was not until late December. If you look around the Forum, the crappies have not yet migrated to the deeper water. Ret-ro has proven that with his catch.

<;))))><

Johnny,
Only the two eyes. Marked some jigging, but no takers we were set up a little deeper than the tipup. Sat night we got a couple of crappies on Granite in the deep hole. They got real finicky after dark. Would like some more ice. I'm only a weekend warrior, except for some trips.

Flags up and tight lines

------------------
Ret-ro!! :)

Johnny-b,any walleyes being caught?Iusualy fish off of hwy 24. have not been on clearwater this year.Went home to Brainerd and fished Pelican lake,caught 46 walleyes(6 guys)and left the ice with 5.Clearwater is closer to home.(Rockford)Love to fish walleyes in 40'+ water.Might head over Sat.

I plan on fishing the west side, in front of BJ’s, this Saturday.
Anybody else going out?
<;))))><

cmpeterson1,

Where do you access the lake from the south end? I may be going to Clearwater on Saturday as well and could use a fishing partner. I normally fish the Camp Friendship bay area but the south bay area sounds interesting especially if there is an access point.

I'm in Buffalo so we are not far apart. If you are interested contact me at [email protected]

Hydro

JohnnyB,

Like everywhere else on this lake, there is a lot of structure in the area. I usually fish closer to the narrows around the basin near the point. If you find crappies in that area they will run big but access is a problem. You will have to get permission to get on to the ice in that area. I had permission last year and went out a couple of times but did not find the school.

There is a bar out from where the Kamp Kool resort used to be, about half way between the point and Camp Friendship that is a good walleye area, with a crappie hole just a little further out.

Because of the lack of access this bay of the lake gets little pressure in the winter and if you get out you will probably have it to yourself. On the other hand you will be on your own when looking for action. Good Luck!

Hydro

Cmpeterson1,
Sounds like you had a lot of action on Pelican. Clearwater has been relatively slow.
I have not done very well on my two trips out. However, a few people that I have spoken to did catch some nice crappies in 30'-35’ and decent sized walleyes: anywhere from 14’-28’. Also, there were two reports of shiners out producing fat heads or spoons.

Typically, I fish the east end only in the summer. I stay on the west end because navigating the narrows can be tough in the winter. I assume you go out from the private/pay access on 24?

Hydro,
How have you done during the winter near Friendship? There is good structure in that area, I hit that a lot in the summer but like I said, I usually don’t venture too far during the hard water.

<;))))><

Sorry guys,I got hit with that FLU fri.nit just starting to move around.All the accesses on that end are private,most of the time we park along the lake by the pay launch and unload then park on the side road.I have got out on a private access by country club,by the high banks.2yrs. back I had good talk with Ed kazz owner of the hard ware store in town,he said the dnr was trying to buy property on that end.But that the people that live on that end don't want one,they feel that "ITS THIER LAKE".I'd love to hook up on the lake,and my 12yr. son.buzz me [email protected]