• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody know the story on Buffalo Lake? I just moved to Buffalo and the DNR site has some good things to say about it. How is the panfishing? Walleye? Is the summer traffic unbearable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As a bowl set in a city, it's less interesting than some other area lakes, but Buffalo does hold a good walleye population. As for crowds, you can expect heavy weekend traffic, and comparable pressure as would be expected this close to the metro.

I just off of the North side of Buffalo. Fishing opener usually looks like a small naval operation. After that, Saturday mornings seem pretty busy at the landing, other then that it is usually ok.

Over the winter the lake usually produces nice gills and crappies, but I haven't fished Buffalo durning the summer. Last year I had some good luck over on Deer with the sunnies. Deer is on the south side of Buffalo Lake, connected by a channel. When the water is high you can go from lake to lake.

I know last spring people were catching them on the channel going from Buffalo to Mink by the south east landing.

Kevin

Buffalo seems to be a pretty good fishery for the amount of pressure it gets. There's some nice panfish, walleyes, and pike in there.

Has anyone tried it yet for sunnies or crappies yet this year?

I live right by Buffalo and while it is a great ice fishing lake, in the summer there are much better panfish lakes nearby. Constance, just to the north is a great sunfish/crappie lake although the size runs small. Charlotte and Beebe near Hanover are both good lakes for panfish and northern pike. Beebe is also a good bass lake.

If you want good sized panfish, try Clearwater. If it is busy or windy, try Bass lake, just east of Clearwater. This is a small lake with good populations of panfish, pike and bass.

Welcome to another excellent MN lake! Like so many of the others in MN, when things are right it is incredible, you can limit on eyes in a few hours and release a few nice 3-6lbs, but when she shuts down, she really shuts down. If you like slimies there are plenty for you and they will usually cooperate. Excellent panfish lake all summer, and excellent crappie lake early winter, until they develop lock jaw! Big pike, big eyes(I saw a 10 pulled and kept last winter, GRRRR! ), big panfish, Good luck!